“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #24 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Athens
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed 21 April 2009

We were in town for BCT graduation at Ft. Jackson. Booked thru Victory Travel @ a good rate. Rooms were very clean. Staff was very helpful. Breakfast was great.
Negative - yes, there were children constantly on the computers in the lobby, but the desk clerk said there was no time limit on the computers but he would tell them to let me use them.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Columbia, SC
Reviewed 7 April 2009

There are many hotels in this neighborhood. I would avoid this one. I live here in Columbia and reserved a small block of rooms for a family event in this brand-new property. While it was clean and the rooms were nice, the management was incompetent and perhaps dishonest; we'll see how this resolves. The first problem was when relatives tried to book rooms under my name and found that the block of reservations was never made. That was resolved but then a couple more reservations that were then made had to be done again because they apparently were never recorded. I then tried to call in and make a reservation myself for an out-of-town guest about a week before the event, this was in the middle of the day, and the front desk clerk said she couldn't make that reservation because she "wasn't authorized" to do reservations from group blocks, only some manager who wasn't there. I then walked in a day or two later and tried to do it and was told the same thing. That the general manager had to do it. While walking out, I saw someone I assume to be the owner or manager, since he walked past me and got the mail out of the mailbox and began watering plants, and was going to ask him if that was true, but he gave me a look that said, "Yep, I don't care and don't talk to me."
Then came the actual monetary ripoff we're trying to resolve. The day before the event, I reserved a room for a friend and paid for it on my credit card. She decided the next day to stay a second night and charged that night to her card. However, her card was charged for two nights, not just one. So the place paid itself for three nights instead of two. The hotel has failed to return her calls. Guess we'll have to go in there again and try to straigten it out.

Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank colabuckeye
Iowa
Reviewed 5 April 2009

We were in Columbia for Ft. Jackson graduation and were scheduled here by Victory Travel. A wonderful place. Very clean and breakfast was great. Close to Ft. Jackson and easy to get to. Overall a good place to stay.

A few negatives:

1) The kitchen staff were rude to guests, especially children but also to adults. Overweight woman and man that replenished breakfast items were very crabby.
2) My adult son waited patiently for several hours to use the computer for business purposes and then the front desk guy booted him off after one hour but then let little kids play on the computer for hours before and after my son. My son was so irritated we drove to Best Buy and bought a laptop.
3) The pool chlorine level was overwhelming. My young children couldn't be in the pool for more than about 45 min at a time or their eyes looked like they were bleeding and they burned intensely for the rest of the day. The pool was also supposed to be heated and was extremely cold. We've been to other hotels that have heated pools and they were actually heated. Kids might be able to deal with this but adults can't.

Overall, I would recommend this place again. The positives outweigh the negatives but the negatives should really be addressed and corrected.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
SalesDirector106, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Columbia, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
All of the negatives mentioned here have been addressed and corrected at our Comfort Suites Hotel since our opening in 2009 as you can see from some of our other positive reviews since that time. We appreciate all feedback and we are happy to see that their overall experience was a good one!

Best regards,