“Great Room, Great Staff, Great Hotel!!!”

TownePlace Suites Columbia Southeast/Fort Jackson
Ranked #14 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Great Room, Great Staff, Great Hotel!!!”
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I stayed there because I was in town for a business meeting. I thought the hotel was brand new (opened less than 6 months by the appearence). The front desk told me that the hotel had actually been open for a few years! WOW! This was a very nice hotel - looked new, the rooms were amazing and the staff was great! I wish I stayed in hotels like this one all the time. I actually got upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite and it was really nice. It has a kitchen, living room, 2 bedrooms and a nice bathroom. I was very pleased!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 13 December 2010

It was a little hard to find this place (we didn't see a sign out for the hotel out on the main road), but once we got there we were impressed. Room is good size, with complete kitchen facilities and a large desk area. Only thing we thought was lacking was counter space in the bathroom, but we were there for just 1 night so it was no big deal.
Bed and pillows were comfortable. Towels weren't overly big, which we like, but they were a big stiff. Nice toiletry products. We left the fan running all night and were glad we did, as the noise from surrounding rooms could be heard a few times above the fan noise.
We got a king suite for $84/night and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ilive4sun
Summerville, Georgia
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Business takes me to Ft. Jackson at least one month. And every month for the past year, I stay at the Ft. Jackson Marriott Towneplace Suites. Yes, the rooms are nice and clean, the breakfast decent, the location five minutes from the Army post. But what really sets this hotel apart is the customer service. Friendliest staff I have ever met in this area. They are always warm, helpful, and often greet you by name. In fact, once I forgot to make a three night reservation and figured I would be out of luck calling the day before. Yes, the woman -- Mariga -- told me, no rooms were available. I thanked her and hung up. Not an hour later imagine my surprise when she called me back. She had recognized my voice (I did not introduce myself when I called earlier), and after receiving a cancellation on a room, took the initiative to track me down and give me the reservation. That's the type of service that keeps my business.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Cramerton, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 October 2010

When you first walk in, you see this huge map of the city of columbia, sc, and it has pegs of important places for leisure travelers to visit/ check out. Nice touch! I have never been to a TownePlace Suites, so didnt know what to expect.

It feels somewhat more then of an apartment complex then it does a hotel. I dont think thats necessarily a bad thing. I enjoyed complimentary breakfast, the back deck was neat! I loved the fire pit, and kids loved basketball goal. Nice to unwind the day, and have kids play.

The hotel is in safe area,. and way off highway
Special kudos to Christine at FD, very, very nice girl and efficient. There was external problems at hotel (cable out city wide) and she handled inquiries quite well, and knew right away when it would be back on again

My only grievance, hotels do a poor job of leaving their work staff, to just have 1 attendant at hotel on 2nd and 3rd shift, thats not safe, or sane. TO me at least. At times, I wanted to help her, as she was quite busy. But again, she brought excellent customer service, and kept everyone going.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2010

This all-suites hotel was a really pleasant surprise for me. I've always liked the Marriott brand, and this hotel reinforced this preference for me. The hotel is quite new, only open about 12 months. It's located on a backwater street off Garner's Ferry road. Without a GPS you may have trouble finding it. The rooms are large and nicely appointed, with a kitchenette complete with an apartment sized fridge, a microwave, an apartment sized range with four burners and an oven, a dishwasher, plates, flatware and pots and pans. There are two 32" flat panel TV's, a nice bed/office space with a nice work area, free wired and wireless internet.

The room has separate thermostats for the bedroom and living room.

The bathroom is adequate, but nothing special. A workable tub with a shower, toilet, and vanity.

The rooms are clean and well cared for.

The pool is nice, and the fitness center is well equipped with two treadmills, an elliptical and free weights (dumbbells and a weight bench only).

There is a business center in the front lobby with two computers available to all.

There is a nice, clean breakfast room and a reasonable, although not great, breakfast is served for free. I chose to buy groceries and provide my own breakfast.

All in all a great stay in a nice, well kept hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Virginia
Reviewed 21 April 2010

I stayed at the Town Place Suites while I was at training at Fort Jackson. I stayed at the hotel because of the "newness", friendliness of staff, and location to South Gate of Fort Jackson.

The Town Place Suites took in about 10 of us trainees and knew us all by name during our stay.

The room was fantastic. There was a kitchenette in my room, but I know others had full kitchens. There was a full fridge, dish washer, and two burner stove range.

The hotel has a great "back yard" that has a pool, basketball/volleyball court, and a fire-pit with gas bar-b-que grill. My friends and I often had fellow classmates over to the hotel and we took over the back yard on weekend evenings.

The am breakfast at the Town Place Suites is great and the staff will even take requests as to what you might want on the menu for the next and they will even make breakfast available for you if you have to leave the hotel before the breakfast opens.

If I ever go back to Fort Jackson and have the choice of where I want to stay, I will stay at the Town Place Suites again with no doubt.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
TPSFortJackson, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Columbia Southeast/Fort Jackson, responded to this review, 15 September 2010
Thank you for your pleasant remarks. I have shared your comments with our staff and they very well appreciate it. We would be absolutely thrilled to have you and the rest of your training group stay with us again!
Cincinnati
Reviewed 16 November 2009

Our son is a sophomore at the University of South Carolina. We make the trip to SC several times a year to visit him. This time we headed to campus to catch the Gamecocks play the Gators.

Prior to this trip, our favorite hotel was the Marriott Courtyard at USC. But the TownePlace Suites spoiled us! We found a new gem in Columbia. We had a beautiful 2 bedroom suite on the 4th floor. It was so spacious, comfy and loaded with extras...I wanted to stay the week. The suite offered privacy for our teenagers and ourselves. Our boys had fun shooting hoops out on the basketball court late in the evening under the lights. We traveled in November and although the temps were above normal it was still too cool to swim; however, the pool was uncovered and looked beautiful. The patio provided a great place to relax. I love the unique fireside seating. Although my boys remarked, "the fire is fake...it's gas."

The staff were cheerful and friendly. The rooms were clean and I have a fairly high standard for cleanliness. The noise was minimal and barely noticeable even though the place seemed pretty full with way too many Gator fans. ;-) The beds were very comfortable. My husband has now decided that he wants down pillows just like the Marriott's. The full kitchen was stocked with enough pans and utensils for simple cooking. I made pancakes one morning before I realized that breakfast was complimentary. Three big screen televisions, one in each bedroom and another in the living area was more than I expected.

Overall...loved it! We cannot wait to stay there again. I almost hesitated to write a review because I selfishly want to make sure that "our suite" will always be available. Yet, it is fellow reviewers like you all that helped me locate this gem. Thank you and enjoy!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
TPSFortJackson, Guest Relations Manager at TownePlace Suites Columbia Southeast/Fort Jackson, responded to this review, 13 October 2010
Thank you for review, and we hope you will stay with us again! Gooo Cocks!