“OK, worn down rooms, but good service”

Carolina University Inn
Ranked #74 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Frankfurt
“OK, worn down rooms, but good service”
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I stayed in the Clarion for five days in October 2012. After reading the reviews, I was a bit worried and changed my booking to a room in the main building. The room was quite big, and actually reasonably Ok. It was very worn down, though. The towels were very old, with lots of spots. But I was very happy with the service from the reception and serving staff- I had a number of requests which were handled very professionally and very friendly. This actually compensated me for the imperfect room. I probably would try another hotel next time, but if it is the best option, it's an ok hotel.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I usually don't complain when the room is fairly cheap, just lower my expectation and enjoy the savings. But this was a little much.

Minor issues upon arrival: the reception staff simply pointed to my back in telling me where my room was. It was 10pm, I had had a long trip, and it wasn't overly intuitive that I had to get out the front door and look for my hotel room in the motel-like setting outside. Internet also initially didn't work, but then did.

The two major issues I had were: a dime that fell from my pocket on the day of arrival and landed near the toilet was still there three days later upon my departure.

But the most annoying thing was, at 6 am on the day of my work presentation, I heard pit-patting in the vicinity. I went to the bathroom and noticed a flood of water coming from the ceiling. I called the reception and a young woman came running. She was very apologetic and borrowed one of our towels to dry up the place. She also went on to say not to worry because she'd make a note of what happened and we would not be charged for IT. Then she left.

A few minutes later, same thing happened. She came back and said: oh, I am going to knock on the door upstairs. Earlier I called, but received no answer.

We did not have any more problems, but in case you were wondering what IT was, it wasn't the room. They didn't offer a free stay or even a discount for what happened. She was simply saying, I guess, that we wouldn't be charged for damage we had not done, which got us up earlier than we had planned on an important work day, and left us with liquid stuff around our bathroom of which we didn't have much information.

We stayed in the motel looking setting outside the main tower. Maybe things are better in there?

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Not a bad hotel. I read reviews before booking a room so my expectations were not high. It was not bad. We stayed in a king suite, exterior room. The room itself was quite large with plenty of space. It was older inside with stains on floor, seats on chair, etc... however bed was clean, bathroom clean. Perfect location to USC and gamecock stadium, Vista, Fivepoints. Plenty of parking. Staff was great and restaurant on site had great food, reasonably priced. Bartender was very pleasant. Cookies decent too. I would not be afraid to try again and perhaps ask for Tower rooms based on reviews-main entrance of hotel looked more updated. There are definately better places in town to stay however if busy weekend with not much availability, don't be afraid to try this one. If staying in exterior room, definately stay in courtyard suite style room.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I am a frequent guest at this location and usually enjoy my stays. However, the room for my last stay was so unclean. I was so tired, I just wanted to get some rest for work the next day. the list is just too long to mention so I will list briefly: Grease on full size mirror; guest directory had dried food stains; bathroom had mold in ceiling and under side of shower bar, carpet full of nasty dark stains; under side of faucet and faucet was nasty (yuck)!; also the tv can be updated. Anyway the entire room needs to be deep cleaned. Love the location and the staff was wonderful. Would stay again in a different room.

Room Tip: NO matter how tired you are don't hesitate to ask for another room.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Janesville, Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I was asked to review by Hotels.com and it has not showed up yet, so just to make potential guests aware.....this hotel is so gross. Do not stay here. They clearly have no standards about cleanliness or safety. The shower had two inches of water in the bottom with a dead roach in it that had to be three to four inches long. The damaged ceiling tile in the bathroom was plugged up with a wad of toilet paper. Burned out light bulbs. Dirt collected in corners of the rooms. Bathroom had some weird remnant of a 1970's rotary dial phone mounted on the wall which they had just ripped the receiver out. Apparently this was also the bathroom fan?? Which did not work anyway. And caked with dust. Gross, gross, gross. Stained chairs, stained carpet, torn curtains. Do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Laura F
Atlanta, GA USA
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I booked this hotel to visit USC and wasn't expeting much (mostly because we didn't pay much at Hotels.com!). But the staff was friendly upon check in and the rooms were bigger and nicer than expected (especially for the price paid) I'm presuming because they unexpectedly upgraded us to the tower.
The convenience cannot be beat for visiting USC and while it's nothing 'fancy' like the S or the M hotel chains located a few blocks away, it has just about everything you would need, is clean and is less money than those options so even if you're only there for a short time then you'll be just fine!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
west palm beach,fl
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The location was very convenient. (downtown) Staff was courteous and had automatically given us an upgrade to the Tower section. It is the older section but with larger rooms,and based on other reviews,perhaps cleaner.
It is either old or rustic depending on your point of view. We found it to have a certain ambiance to it reflecting an old southern charm.
Breakfast buffet (about $8 or $9) was adequate and convenient since we were driving a long distance that day. Given more time we would have opted to eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the "tower". They are larger and are an upgrade from regular rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family