“Very surprising!”

Ranked #76 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Very surprising!”
Reviewed 5 February 2013 via mobile

First of all, this usable older property! That being said, I was pleasantly suprised with my room! I know the tile grout may not be lilly white, but the rooms overall were nice. The TV was older, but for the price I got for it, I was happy! A lot of lawmakers stay here when the general assembly is in session, so it can't be that bad! There is the slight noise of the outside access room, but it's ok. You have to pay for your breakfast but it is ok. This property is perfect if you are doing business at the capital!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Saluda, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I've never been to a hotel and felt so much at 'home'. What a high quality staff. They truly seem to like what they do, especially the super nice young lady at the bar. What an awesome person to talk to. Thanks Mandy for making my stay special. I'll definately be back.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2013 via mobile

Stay January 22, 2013

Hotel property badly neglected. Ice machines out of order, sink and bathtub drains clogged, sink faucet handle broken, toilet barely flushed. Hall carpet badly worn and stained. TV in room very outdated with poor reception. Furniture very worn.

Hotel staff very pleasant.

Cannot recommend and would not return.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Toronto
Reviewed 18 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night when attending an event at USC. The hi-lite was the consistently high quality service from the front desk, doorman, bar staff and restaurant team. The offer of a shuttle transfer to our event was unexpected and a nice touch on a cool evening. The hotel is a little tired but we found everything clean and functioning in our room. The bed was comfortable but it is time to upgrade to flat screen TVs. Bar service was very fairly priced and the complimentary appetizers appreciated. Breakfast buffet ($$) wad good.

• Stayed January 2013
Atlanta
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I stayed at the Clarion in downtown Columbia recently on an overnight business trip. The Clarion is in a good location near a lot of restaurants (out a half-mile away) and the Capital. The hotel consists of a main building on Gervais street, probably about 8 stories, and behind the main building is the remainder of the hotel which is a renovated motel property. I stayed in one of the motel rooms which are quite old. Some of the rooms apparently have been renovated but some don't have flat screen TV's (mine did, my business associate staying in another room did not). Also there was no wireless internet where I was staying, though perhaps they have it in the main building. The bed in my room was comfortable.

My biggest complaint is with the lack of cleanliness with the room. I travel extensively on business and I'm used to a lot of things, but I kid you not when I tell you I didn't take my socks off the entire time I was in my room. The carpet was stained in several places, there was a large stain on the fabric of the desk chair, and the bathroom tile grout was black from mold. Grout should be white, not black. There was also mold around the perimeter of the jacuzzi shower-tub and around the base of the toilet. Very disgusting. Pictures attached so you can see for yourself. Apparently Clorox is a product that is unfamiliar to the housekeeping staff at the Clarion.

The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful. Buffet breakfast was nothing special but for $8.95 was a good value and the service was good. If this hotel would spend some money and clean their rooms decently and put in new carpeting, it would get a higher score from me.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I stayed here for a week because the location where I usually stay (Hampton Inn in the Vista area) was unavailable. This hotel was comparably priced, not much farther from where I needed to get to by walking, and offered free breakfast and wireless Internet. Except that it didn't--I was given two breakfast vouchers for my week-long stay, and the wireless Internet was saturated and unusable (though I was able to get around it by using the Lobby wireless Internet). Although I was given a username and password for the wireless Internet, it was not needed because it actually had no security enabled. My room was a nice size, but even though a non-smoking room, it smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. The hotel restaurant was fine for breakfast and the buffet was good, but it closed at 5 p.m. (what kind of restaurant closes at 5 p.m.?) so was unavailable for dinner until Thursday and Friday.

This location is very close to the University of South Carolina and downtown, but there are no restaurants within half a mile open in the evenings (nearly everything downtown shuts down after lunch). It's about an equal distance to either Five Points or to the Vista area, which are the closest restaurant-dense areas within walking distance. I had not previously been to the Five Points area, but found a good Thai restaurant there (Baan Sawan).

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 November 2012

My son and I stayed at the Clarion Downtown the weekend of the South Carolina -Tennessee Football Game in late October 2012. Our check-in was easy! The Hotel Manager was very helpful. He took the time to resolve some confusion surrounding our breakfast vouchers and where we should be parking. Our hotel room was located outside of the main building. Unfortunately, when we entered our room, we were greeted by a terrible smell which appeared to be coming from the bathroom. Upon entering the bathroom, we noticed that the tub and bathroom floors were very run down. In addition, the toilet did not flush properly, thus creating the smell. In order to make the best of a bad situation, my son and I ran to the local Walmart and picked up some glade air freshener. This seemed to do the trick! After a long day of travel and the last minute stop at Walmart, I decided to kick my feet up and sit down on one of the chairs. The problem here was that the chairs had some nasty stains on them. Rather than raising a "stink", I quickly reached for a bath towel and draped it over one of the chairs and sat down. Thankfully, the air conditioner worked great and the beds were comfortable. The TV was old, but functional! The workout room was okay, but not well stocked with towels. The best part of our stay was the breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant. The eggs, bacon, sausage and biscuits, and fruit were very good. The servers were very attentive and the restaurant's atmosphere was very nice. I just wish the rooms were up to the same standard!

Room Tip: It is my understanding that the rooms in the main building are much nicer.