“Great”

Ranked #76 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Columbia, South Carolina
“Great”
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Enjoy bringing in the new year here at this hotel. The hotel was great, food was great, front desk service sucks. The view was great over looking the city. The new years celebration downtown was amazing. Cool and the gang really put on a great show. Looking forward to next year

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Ches
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My sister and I stayed here for a friends out of town wedding. The hotel was old but very well maintained and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. There is a hotel restaurant and I believe there is a swimming pool and work out area but I was there such a short time I did not avail myself of these facilities. This was my first trip to Columbia. It is a quiet city with the sleepy air of a beach town. The hotel is only a few blocks from the downtown area. I would feel safe walking from the hotel to Main Street during the day but not at night. This is a great base for anyone who wants to explore Columbia by car, bike or foot. If I ever get to go back to Columbia I'd stay here again.
WORD OF WARNING: The curtains are merely for decoration and don't close all the way. If you want your privacy bring cloths pegs to jimmy rig the curtains closed.

Room Tip: Some rooms have entrances inside the hotel some rooms have entrances outside motel style. This hotel...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Got a good deal on this hotel from priceline and the hotel is in a good location but that is where it stops. When first arriving both front desk clerks were on the phone for 15 minutes so had to wait which I don't mind I am patient. They gave me a room in the back part of the hotel which I think is the older part of the hotel. The room was a little outdated but again that doesn't phase me much. As long as I have a comfy bed and it's clean that is all I care about. At least I thought so. That night I could hear the people in the next room and the AC in the room was like a car engine it was so loud. So didn't sleep that great. In the morning I walked into the bathroom barefoot and noticed I was tracking in dirt from the carpet in the bathroom. So the carpets aren't that clean in this place. If they would do a little better up keep on the place and clean better this place would be a lot better but for now they need to work on things.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank bootskii
Johns Island, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I recently stayed here and the beds were the nicest thing in the room. Very comfortable and it was reasonably priced. But you also get what you pay for. The bathroom shower had mold in it and hair. When I turned on the water rust came out. I will stay at a different hotel next time I visit Columbia.

• Stayed November 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 November 2013

If you're staying here, immediately take a walk to The Whig so you can forget about the nasty hotel you're staying at. By the time you get back you won't even notice or care.

This place needs a serious scrub down. I can't decide who's more to blame, the cleaning staff or management. Spend the extra money and stay near Assembly and Gervais St.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I agree with most everything that's been said about this hotel. My husband, daughter and I were in Columbia for two nights to look at the U of SC. This location can't be beat for our purposes and neither can the price ( $ 79). We're very close to the heart of downtown Columbia and I don't know where else you can get a room within walking distance to a lot for this price. The front desk crew has been friendly and responsive.

We are in one of the rooms near the pool, but being November, it's closed. I remember walking past the covered pool when we first arrived thinking, hmmm... if this were summer I wouldn't want to be staying in this room. I would agree that the rooms are old and in need of updating. The lighting in the room is terrible. We have two very old and rickety lamps with probably 40-watt bulbs! However, the bathroom lighting is very good as is the light over the vanity. We will make survive. I have not found anything to be dirty. The tub/toilet is older and there's an awkwardly placed phone/handset right next to the toilet. I suppose it would be handy if you run out of toilet paper. However, everything is clean. I think that sometimes people mistake old for dirty, which this room is not. The carpet and furniture are older but we do have a new flat screen TV and I don't see stains on anything.

The old saying "you get what you pay for" holds true here. What do you expect for under $ 100 a night in the heart of a city? If our daughter winds up going to the U of SC, we would certainly stay here again. I don't think you can beat the value. Having been here once, I'd know what to ask for (not near the pool in summer) and perhaps look for a room in the tower, but overall, I think it's a fine place if you're not too fussy and can overlook the "old".

Room Tip: Away from the pool (higher numbers are away from pool .. ex: we are 209 and its closer to the pool...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KH68
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 24 October 2013

The front desk staff is nice. The location convenient. That's about all that's good about this place.

The room itself was uninspiring. The desk chair was filthy and badly stained. The floor was stained. The lampshades were badly cracked. The bathroom faucet was rusting out from underneath. And really, I hate to find other people's hair in my towels.

I would not call this a three star hotel - even for the supposedly better tower rooms. I've stayed in Red Roof Inns that were cleaner and more modern than this place. I did not stay in the "budget-minded" rooms - but be warned those are motel-style accommodations.

Room Tip: Ask for a tower room, facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple