Carolina University Inn
US$118
US$171
US$159
Good 3.5/5
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Staff were courteous without being over-friendly. There was no waste paper bin in the room and the second day there was no breakfast menu supplied. When I inquired at the office for one, they couldn't locate one and advised that breakfast could be had at the buffet.
The bathtub had obviously not been cleaned for some time as there was a greyish-black sludge hardened in the bottom of it. I managed to remove quite a bit of it myself by rubbing it with my foot .. not very hygienic !!
There was no fridge, no soap or safe in the room and the wi-fi failed to work for more than 30 seconds at a time, if at all. As the price was over $200 per night, I found it to be not even close to having value for money. The rooms are dated with the only redeeming features being that the location was central for the purpose of my visit and the staff who delivered breakfast to the room were very courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: The bathroom needs to be cleaned DAILY. Staff should be supervised to ensure rooms are serviceable to clients. Buffet staff could do with hospitality training, seriously, they looked like they lost a dollar and found a dime !!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gil F
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This was the headquarters for the recent Columbia marathon. It was perfect, since we could pick up the race packets in the lobby, and we were only 4-5 blocks from the start/finish line. The rooms were a bit old, but things were clean, and they were kind enough to give us a late checkout so there would be time for a shower.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My husband and I stayed for a family wedding, so it was at a discounted rate. And in my opinion, $119 is still too much for this place. Front desk was friendly, but the room had cleanliness issues and was really outdated. Desk chair was heavily stained. Curtains were very old. The only upside was the comfiness of the bed. Wouldn't recommend staying here just for that.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Booked this hotel over a month ago for a St patricks day festival. I picked this hotel due to location and chose to ignore the reviews. I was a little nervous because the day after I booked the hotel was sold out. We arrived to the hotel around 1 and tried to check in since numerous other people were, including another friend that we were with. She checked in ahead of me and was told they had a ton of rooms cleaned and ready to go. When I tried, I was told that my room was assigned already because I booked with hotwire and they couldn't see my rate. That was fine though I told him we would come back after the festival (7pm) to check in and he said it would be help until 12am. At 7pm I tried to check in and my room had been given away. I waited in the lobby for over an hour while a manager cleaned rooms and tried to get me and a few other furious couples accommodated. After complaining numerous times we were finally put in a room with 2 double beds. Not what we booked but it worked. Just wish we hadn't had to go through the hassle and I dont think I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Our conference was a success in spite of the Clarion facility. Our planning staff obviously got taken for a ride; they would never knowingly have chosen a venue this bad.

My experience was so bad that I will never again darken the doors of ANY hotel in the entire Choice hotel group. We attended a tightly scheduled conference that ran from Friday evening through late Saturday night. We were dependent on the onsite restaurant and conference rooms to meet our needs.

We knew it was an older facility. We were greeted with a smile and the statement that renovations were coming soon. That raised a big red flag for me, so I steeled myself for the worst. Little did I know....

The hotel staff was pleasant and helpful, when they were able to accomodate our basic requests. Hotel rooms of our fellow attendees either had lamps with built-in outlets or were equipped with a grounded power strip. We only had to ask twice for one when only 2 of the 3 outlets in the room worked. But we were brought an old, ungrounded extension cord. No, we didn't use it. I value my smartphone, as did my two roommates. At least the room was clean and outfitted with decent quality, newer linens. The carpet was, well, needing renovation. No bare feet for me!

The attached conference building was the same age and equally in need of renovation. It too was clean except for the carpets, but the hvac spewed hot dust when it kicked on, and wouldn't go off even when turned off. At least we didn't need the coffee they didn't serve. We needed more pitchers of water than were available, though.

And I've saved the worst for last. The hotel is at least 6 blocks from the nearest restaurant and our lunch and dinner breaks were short, so we had to rely on the onsite restaurant. Obviously the hotel and restaurant management don't communicate. Dinner the night before was good, but overpriced. Breakfast was a buffet, but had one server to provide water and coffee to the 60 plus conference attendees. She told us that they didn't even know a group was coming, but most of us had prepaid meal vouchers. Figure that out.

At lunch, the same now clearly exhausted server was still by herself, the lunch menu was the same as dinner the night before and the same cashier stayed in her booth and ignored us 12 tables of attendees even as she was made well aware our lunch break was only 90 minutes and most tables hadn't been waited on 25 minutes after sitting down. Most of us ordered soup and salads (to save time) and still waited almost an hour to receive them.

The afternoon session was started 30 minutes late so everyone could eat their lunch, and many of the attendees filed in later, as soon as they were able to gulp down their overpriced food.

For dinner, we all fled offsite by car in the rain; finally we were able to enjoy our meals and arrived on time for our final session. Remember, I warned you!

Room Tip: Choose it somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business