SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista
US$141
  • Pool
US$178
US$59
Best Western Executive Inn & Suites(Columbia)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$85
Hotels.com
All reviewspublix grocery storetoilet and sinkwithin walking distanceseparate roomssliding doorsleeping areamodern designstreet noisesc statewould stay here againfree breakfastvisit columbialoved this hotelrestaurants and shopshotel locationnumerous restaurantswaffles
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I'm a frequent travel and stay at many Marriott's. This hotel sticks out! The rooms are new and comfortable and have a European feel to them. My home away from home when doing business in Columbia, SC!

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing out towards downtown. Pretty at night since the city elevates from your view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I have stayed here several times in the last few months. The rooms are large with in-suite refrigerator and microwaves. There is a desk and a large sofa, which I assume makes into a bed. My most recent stay was over Christmas. The hotel seemed almost empty compared to other times I had stayed here. The free breakfast featured pre-made cheese omelets, waffles, eggs, hash browns, a variety of muffins, bagels, toast and cereal. All of the breakfast is self serve. Good breakfast, but they do not have coffee service available outside of breakfast hours. This is a perk I miss. There are single serve coffee makers in the rooms, but it is easier to grab a cup when I come back to the hotel after a busy day. Two problems I experienced during this stay. One is that again the wireless internet in my room was incredibly slow. You can get faster speed by paying, but if they advertise free wireless, I expect it to be of a decent speed to check email and facebook. The other issue was that my room was not cleaned on Christmas day. I realize they had a small housekeeping crew that day, but when I brought it to the attention of the front desk, I was just offered the excuse that it was Christmas and they were short handed. I expected an apology at the least. I had to ask for fresh towels and coffee packs for the room. I was tired from a long day and did not appreciate having to walk back down to the desk to inquire about towels and such. I never saw any housekeeping staff on my floor despite the fact that most of the people in the hotel seemed to be staying on that floor. When I checked out, I again mentioned the fact that my room was not cleaned on Christmas and was met with the same sort of excuse and not a real apology. I would have expected a little more from the front desk people. The staff is exceedingly friendly for the most part. I will probably stay here again because of the location and cleanliness, but this stay was a bit disappointing in terms of customer service.
There is one drawback to the room design and that is the location of the air conditioner/heater vent under the window. It blows right across the bed and it is noisy. I chilled my room down as much as I could before bed and turned off the unit. It did get warm overnight and I had to turn it back on, which gave me a really dry, sore throat when I woke up. Some sort of deflector would be nice.

Room Tip: If traffic noise bothers you, choose rooms on the front side of the hotel facing inward.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 January 2012

This is a new property in a newly-developed area of Columbia. The rooms are stylish and comfortable. I thought the bathroom design was a little strange - the shower is in a separate area with a sliding door, but it worked out well for us that the sink/toilet and shower were separate since we had several people sharing the room. Beds were very comfortable, and internet connection was quick and easy to bring online. Breakfast was fine - hot and cold options available. The coffee was terrible but there is a Starbucks nearby if you like a more potent bew. All in all, a pleasant stay in a new property that I'd visit again if I'm in the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road as there is some street noise.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 December 2011

The design of the room was very efficient, with each task/living area well planned for convenience. The lighting was exceptional, a feature that is so lacking in many hotels.
There is a clean and fresh feeling to the room; I am extremely particular about this, and few places measure up so well. Every staff member was courteous and helpful, as well.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank worldtravelinggrandm
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Springhill Suites was the event hotel for a weekend in Columbia. It turned out to be a good choice!

The room was Euro-styled, attractive, and made good use of ample space. There are separate living and sleeping areas. The living area includes desk space, a mini-refrigerator and a microwave. HD cable TV appeared on a large flat-screen TV that can be angled to favor either the living or sleeping area. A big plus was separate rooms for shower and toilet. This is handy for more than one guest. There is no tub. There is no closet, only a wardrobe, with plenty of room for hanging clothes but only 2 half-width drawers. There is one additional drawer under the TV. Drawer space works for short stays for one or two people but might be challenging for longer stays or families. A wall thermostat easily controls cooling, heating, and fan. Free wired and wireless internet access is available in the rooms and elsewhere. I used the wireless internet in the room and it worked well.

A buffet breakfast is included, and this service is well done with plenty of choices and staff making sure that everything is as it should be.

Other hotel amenities include an indoor pool, fitness center, and places to conduct business. I didn't use any of these, but they all looked nice. There is ample free parking.

This area of Columbia is historic, and at first looks like blocks of brick warehouses. It turns out that these buildings actually are full of shops, salons and restaurants. I walked to nice restaurants both nights. I got mixed reports on walking the neighborhood after dark, but I didn't experience a problem. The hotel is only a matter of blocks to the center of downtown.

I had one problem of my own making: I left my iPod Touch on the nightstand by the bed. I realized this only hours after checking out and called the hotel. The front desk didn't want to do much besides telling me it hadn't been turned in, and that I could call the manager the next day (Monday). I called first thing in the morning. The manager was in but I got her voice-mail. After waiting hours for a return call, I called again in the afternoon, got her directly, and was told that she would get right on the problem and have someone call me back. By this time, my iPod was long gone. I have no doubt that this would have turned out better if the Sunday staff had made an effort.

This self-made problem was the only negative aspect to my stay. Overall, this is a nice, well-run facility and I would be happy to stay again.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple