“Convenient Location - Good Value”

SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista
Ranked #15 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Conway, South Carolina
“Convenient Location - Good Value”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We scheduled a tour for USC and came in the day before to visit First Baptist Church. We unexpectedly included our two younger children on the trip. The layout of the room accommodated us great. The two queen beds with the sofa bed was perfect in the quasi two room suite. The split bathroom allowed one to shower while allowing access to the rest of the facilities. The lighted walk-in closet also doubled as a changing room. This property is within walking distance to a Publix grocery store and works great with the in-room refrigerator and microwave, cutting down on dining expenses.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
SpringHillColaSC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
We are happy to hear that you had a great time here with us at our SpringHill Suites Downtown Columbia. We are so glad that our room layout was perfect when traveling with your family. We hope to see you again very soon!

Thanks again for taking time out of your day to write a review for us!
Holly Penny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was a nice option for USC parent's weekend. It wasn't cheap, but I thought it was good value for money. The room was sufficiently spacious to accommodate me, my husband, our younger daughter and college student. The split bath arrangement was very convenient.

Although the hotel seemed full for the weekend, we heard no sounds in the hallways from our room. The beds were comfortable and we had more than enough towels without having to track down housekeeping for a couple more every day. The staff was friendly and welcoming. There was plenty of parking on a busy football weekend. The shuttle was a nice convenience. Plus this location makes it handy to the Vista for eating and shopping. I would definitely recommend this property to other parents traveling to Columbia.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
SpringHillColaSC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you for staying at the SpringHill Suites Downtown Columbia/In the Vista for your recent trip to Columbia for Parent’s Weekend at the University of South Carolina. Our staff appreciates you taking the time to give us your feedback and letting us know how we are doing. We are located near the university and within walking distance to many shops and restaurants. This makes it convenient for our guest and ensures that there is something for everyone within a short walk. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our hotel's amenities. We hope you come to stay with us again.

Warm Regards,

Saugerties, New York
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Here for a week and really enjoyed the stay. Rooms are very sleek and comfortable, great pillows and very quiet. Breakfast was typical but could have used some different cereal. Coffee was good and available all night (or at least very early in the morning). Within walking distance of some very nice restaurants, but just wish the Starbucks was closer.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for the wonderful review of our property. I enjoyed reading your comments, especially where you noted that our rooms are very sleek and comfortable with great pillows and very quiet. We are also very delighted that you liked our convenient location and close proximity to many nice restaurants. We look forward to your return to our SpringHill Suites Downtown Columbia/In the Vista

White Plains, New York
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We were in town for a friend's wedding and decided to stay here since it was close to the reception venue. The hotel is located in The Vista which is a revitalized area of Columbia and within walking distance of many restaurants/bars as well as shops and a grocery store (just across the street). The hotel had a small bar in the lobby and had happy hour each night which was nice, and the breakfast had plenty of offerings. The front desk staff were nice and the rooms were a very good size although I agree about the weird doors for the bathroom. There were a few issues though. First, the air conditioning. There didn't seem to be a high, medium or low setting for the fan and it was on full blast the entire weekend. We would adjust the temperature, but then the unit would just turn off. We were only there two days, so we dealt with it. However, the second issue we had still bothers me. We came back to the hotel one evening to find not one, not two but THREE bugs that looked like roaches (someone called them Palmetto bugs, but to this New Yorker they looked like roaches) crawling along the walls of the hallway leading to our room. I immediately picked up the house phone and called the front desk who sent someone up to kill them, but it creeped me out for the rest of the weekend and I scanned the hallway each time before I walked down it and also searched all in our room (luckily we didn't see any others). We reported it to the front desk the next day and they said they would look into it, but didn't apologize or offer us anything for the inconvenience. Aside from the bugs, the hotel was really clean and in excellent condition, which made seeing the bugs even more bizarre. Regardless, I realize most hotels have bugs like this somewhere, but I'm not sure I would stay here again based on this experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Penguin0301
Dear Penguin0301,

Thank you very much for your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our daily happy hour at our lounge, our complimentary breakfast with plenty of options and our friendly staff. We thrive on offering the best customer service and cleanest accommodations and thank you for providing those highlights in your review.

However, I am very disappointed to read the comments you recently posted regarding the air conditioner not working properly and the pest you saw in the hallway on the way to your suite. I am not sure why your air conditioner unit’s thermostat controller was not working appropriately as all units have a high/low/auto option with cool, heat, and fan. I hate that we were not able to address the issue for you while you were on property. I am confident to say that the pest/Palmetto bugs/roaches that you saw have been taken care of by our contracted pest elimination company and this type of concern should not be an issue moving forward. I apologize that you had to ever experience this at our property. I am also very sorry that you did not get the service you should have received from our desk staff when reporting this issue.

My team and I are very sorry and hope you give us a chance to earn your loyalty back. We do appreciate your feedback and promise to use it to improve. I wish you and your family safe travels.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The rooms are large, with a desk, microwave, and small refrigerator. The rooms were also clean. The bathroom was not very large for a room this size, and even though there were two separate sinks in two separate areas, there was not much counter space. The property is located within walking distance to restaurants and shops. There is a nice business area set up downstairs with 2 computers, a large workspace, and a printer. The fitness center was small, but not busy. Breakfast was nice, but was missing waffles. This is one of the few properties without a waffle maker. Overall, a comfortable place to stay during a visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hello FlaLove2Travel!
Thank you for choosing our SpringHill Suites for your stay in Downtown Columbia/Vista. We appreciate you sharing your experience with others here on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our location and our amenities!

With regards to waffles during your stay, we offer two breakfast options with items rotating, in order to give our guest variety. I apologize that the waffles were not available during your stay. We always offer waffles on the weekends as well as holidays. Thank you for your feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future!

Thanks again for your review!

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This hotel is modern, clean and comfortable. The rooms are huge. We loved the split bathroom. Free breakfast was better than we expected for Marriott. The location is perfect for visiting USC. If my son picks this school we will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
SpringHillColaSC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our property being modern, clean and comfortable. We are also glad you loved the split bathroom and that our rooms are 25% larger than the average hotel room. Here’s to you hopefully becoming a GAMECOCK as we look forward to having the opportunity to have you as our guest again soon.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I'd give them one more try to get it right. I checked in at 11pm on a Monday. Check in was quick and the night staff clerk was the best employee I met. The lobby and entrance are a but grander than any other Springhill I've seen.

The room was clean and standard for this brand. It had the nice split bathroom. My only issues for this room were that there wasn't a channel guide anywhere and the AC needs a deflector. I had to remove the bench and lean the iron boards against the curtain to make sure the chill came in. After my remodel it cooled in about fifteen minutes.

The parking lot was pretty full and it's a long walk at night. Unload your bags in the front drive. There was a homeless guy sleeping on the bench next to the hotel exit on Lady and Huger.

The next morning at breakfast the sausage links were rock hard. I asked the staffer and was ignored. I found their attempt at charcuterie was really good. It was untouched so I ate most of it. I found the hotel on Yelp that morning and try to use their check in coupon for a free beverage. The manager was pretty adamant that it's only for use at the bar at night which was closed well before my arrival at 11pm. That interaction really rubbed me the wrong way.

I'd give them one more try if in the area and needed to be downtown.

• Stayed August 2013
SpringHillColaSC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay at our property. We thank you for commenting on how quick and wonderful the night staff team member was during your check-in. I look forward to sharing your great comments with them as well as the entire team. I am also pleased to hear that you like the design of the split bathroom.
However, I am very sorry that the AC unit did not cool properly without setting up a deflector. I will be addressing this concern with the maintenance team. I also apologize for the service you received by our breakfast team member. We have been very excited about our new breakfast items. I will definitely address the quality of the sausage link. Please accept my apology for the interaction you and I had during your departure and I will certainly reevaluate the promotional item listed on Yelp. Also, we are working very hard with the City to eliminate any issue with individuals loitering nearby. We always want our guest to feel safe and secure while at the hotel as well as to feel safe walking to and from the hotel to visit the many wonderful restaurants, shops, and attractions in the local area.
Thank you again for your feedback. My team and I appreciate you staying with us and we hope you choose to return to let us show you our BEST! Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you have further comments or questions. I welcome your correspondence.