“A Surprisingly Good Place”

SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista
Ranked #14 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Boston, MA
“A Surprisingly Good Place”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

When I booked this room, I based my decision on price alone, because I can put up with much rougher conditions than my wife will accept, and Springhill Suites came up as the cheapest. But I was really surprised by the designed, modern look of the lobby, and then by the spaciousness and modern design of the room. It looked much more like a pricey Hyatt Place than the usual "two beds, a tired dresser and thrown-together design" you see in most inexpensive hotel rooms. The bed was very comfortable, and the curtains darkened the room well (one of my big hotel peeves). A couple of times during the night, some people were laughing/talking loudly as they walked down the hallway sometime in the night, but it was graduation weekend at USC, so that's to be expected.

I do have to agree with travelguyPA on one point— there were two "bathrooms" in my room--a toilet and a sink in one, and the shower and a larger sink in the other, and the frosted glass sliding bathroom doors would make it difficult for someone sleeping in the room to STAY sleeping if someone were using either room in the middle of the night. I was traveling solo.

The staff were universally helpful and outgoing (more than just basic "friendly"). I didn't have the breakfast, so can't comment on that— but I do feel I now have a home base whenever I'm visiting Columbia!

Green Features: The room had cards in the bathroom urging guests to save water by using their towels more than once.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gathering_No_Moss_1
SpringHillColaSC, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Gathering_No_Moss_1,

Thank you for giving us a thorough review and a great one at that. We are so glad that we were able to please one your big hotel pet peeves, the black out curtains! Also, thank you for the wonderful comment about our staff being more than just "friendly." We pride ourselves and work everyday to make sure each guests gets a "warm southern hospitality welcome" from each member team. Thank you again! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Maria Rodillo
Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Perfect place for a weekend get-away.
Our room was lovely, the staff friendly and the weather perfect.
We arrived on a Saturday at 1pm and the room was good to go.
Very close to everything. We went to Five Points which was just a 10min. cab ride.
Even a one a clock late check out on a Sunday not a problem.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
SpringHillColaSC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Bauerkuhlmann,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I’m happy to hear you had a great weekend get-away. We hope to see you again soon! Our area is getting some new restaurant and music venues so hopefully you can come back, stay with us again and enjoy those!

Jacob Toda
Pa
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel has a lot of potential. The lobby is very open and airy, and the room design is impressively modern. The breakfast is predictable, and fruit is left out into the night for late snacking. All the right touches were there, except for a couple of things that made all the difference. Despite the appearances, the rooms are really set up for one occupant. There is a single sink, the WC has a sliding door that doesn't fully close, frosted glass doors wake up a sleeping partner if using the WC at night, and the spaces in the king room require some maneuvering to pass. The separation of the working area from the bedroom is nice. But, at least in our room, the fan loft directly above our room started rumbling at around 10pm and seemed to last all night, making sleep virtually impossible for a sound sensitive person like me. Overall, an average stay, but stay away from room 502 if low frequency noise bothers you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelguyPa
SpringHillColaSC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear travelguyPA,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am glad that you liked the lobby area and the room design but I’m sorry to hear that your stay was affected by a roof top a/c unit. I hope that if you are in the Columbia area again you will look to us and enjoy a quieter room location.

Jacob Toda
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I enjoyed the room layout and the aqua colors and shimmering bath tiles and well designed lighting. The flat screen TV is in the center of the room so I did not hear anyone elses TV. The room entry doors are at an angle so I did not hear anyone in the hallway. I got a great nights sleep. I know the Hotel was busy with a wedding party that was staying the same night. The breakfast starts at 6:30 am and it was very busy in the breakfast area at 7:15 am when I was leaving so get downstairs early if you can. I will stay here again when I am in Columbia SC.

Room Tip: FIfth floor room 518 is at the corner above the front of the hotel with a wing of rooms on the side...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
SpringHillColaSC, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
BusinessTravellerVA,

Thanks for leaving us such a great review on TripAdvisor! I'm glad to hear that you'll be staying with us the next time you are in Columbia! We look forward to seeing you soon!

Lino Lakes, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Shower and vanity in one room, toilet and sink in another room. My husband and I found ourselves bumping into each other going back and forth between areas.

Also have frosted glass doors on toilet and shower so if your partner wants to sleep in they can't because the lights go right through the doors and the beds are directly across from the rooms.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AnnC,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at our hotel. I'm so sorry to hear that the layout of our rooms did not work well for you and your husband. I hope you were still able to enjoy your stay and your visit in Columbia! Have a great summer!

Graham, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I don't have to wait to write my review. This hotel is awesome! Has a bar that stays open until late, has unusual but way cool floor plans, and has folks who go the extra mile. Will be here one more night - don't hate me because I'm loving this place!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Carasnyder2001,
Wow! Thank you so much for the awesome review! I'm so glad to know that you and your family had such a wonderful experience at our hotel and that our staff was able to exceed your expectations. Hopefully we'll be able to accommodate you soon in the future!

Roanoke, VA
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for our daughter's visit to USC. It is an excellent location if the school is what brings you to the area. There are a few hotels closer, but we didn't know the city at all when making the reservation. As it turns out, we didn't do too bad. It was just a short drive to campus where we were allowed to park free at the admissions office since we had a rescheduled visit. This hotel lives up to the quality expected of its namesake. The lobby and rooms were clean and well maintained. Check in was quick and our reservation was in order upon arrival. Parking is free and off the street, which is always a bonus when staying in the city. The breakfast was the usual Marriott fare including pastries, fruits, cereals, yogurt, waffles, eggs, sausage.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
SpringHillColaSC, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Redelaneymd,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a great review! I'm happy to hear that our hotel was able to meet all of your travel needs. Hopefully USC will be your daughter's school of choice and we'll have the opportunity to accommodate you much in the future!