“Great overnight stay!!”

Ranked #15 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Conyers
“Great overnight stay!!”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Hubs and I stayed at this hotel this pass weekend for a college classmate's birthday celebration. Upon arrival, I wanted to settle my bill at check in with "cash" right then as I'm accustomed to doing at other hotel chains. However, I was told that they could not accept cash until check out which was 12 noon, the next day. She asked for a credit card, which I gave with instructions that I did not want the room charged to my card, the sole purpose of me stopping by the bank for the cash.

Needless to say, the next morning at 8:00AM, I pick up the bill inside the room and BAM!, charged to my credit card!!!! I went to the desk to inquire about our previous conversation, and the desk
clerk tells me that my credit card company will have to refund my account in 5 days. Are you
kidding me?!!!! I just made it clear at check in that I was paying CASH at checkout, which is at 12:00 noon!! Now, I have to watch my credit card company to see if and when my account
receives its credit.

In terms of the hotel and the accommodations, the hotel was very nice, clean in all areas, and with
plenty of free parking. The bed was comfortable, the toilet and shower were separate, which I liked
a lot. I only wished that there were more towel racks, which may be trivial, but I prefer.

The inclusive breakfast was pretty standard and decent: eggs, waffles, sausages, fruit, yogurt, cereal, instant grits, oatmeal, the like. The juice was watered down to pretty much that...water.

There aren't any great restaurants in walking distance, but there is a Publix Supermarket right across the street for snacks, beer, wine. There's also a bar inside of the hotel that opens at 5:00PM and closes at 11:00, M-S.

I would stay here again, but I wouldn't use cash.

Room Tip: Any room is fine as there really isn't a view.
Green Features: Hotel uses same sheets unless a change is requested.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
SpringHillColaSC, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Deborah C Conyers,

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. I'm sorry to hear that there was some confusion regarding the cash and credit card policy at check-in. I am happy to hear that the suite layout worked well for you and that you had a comfortable night's sleep. Thank you again for choosing our hotel and hopefully you will look to us again in the future to meet your lodging needs!

Guest Care Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 September 2014

BEDBUGS! Hotel appears new and rooms are beautifully designed……but be careful! My wife and 2 young girls stayed the night of August 31st 2014. After enjoying the afternoon in downtown Columbia we returned to the hotel. Attempted to swim in the pool but the heater was broken and water temperature was beyond uncomfortable. Water also was cloudy and did not appear sanitary. Not ones to allow little things to bother us we went back to our room and enjoyed some family time together. After putting the girls to bed, my wife and I were sitting on the couch and I noticed a bug on one of the pillows. The bug looked unusual so I captured it in the bag for the ice bucket. An internet search quickly identified the bug as a bedbug. Upon inspection, my youngest daughter had bites on her inner arm and cheek. We left and I spent the remainder of the night and morning following the recommendations I found on line to limit the possibility that we brought bedbugs back into our home.
When we informed the desk we were leaving we were advised to contact the manager the next morning at 9am, which we did. I left a detailed message and did not receive a return call. I had to return to the hotel in person the next afternoon to speak to the manager who was unapologetic and marginally interested. Even when presented with proof of our experience he said he could do nothing before investigating the "claim".

We later were informed that the manager, building engineer and maintenance man did do an inspection and confirmed the presence of additional bedbugs.

Now we are left to wonder if we were successful in preventing the bedbugs from entering our home. The hotel's manager seemed unaffected by the bedbug problem his hotel faces or our individual experience as customers.

3 Thank Masinmaria
SpringHillColaSC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Masinmaria,

I appreciate the concern and the awareness of our guest regarding this industry wide problem. No hotel is immune to bugs of any kind and bed bug problems are on the rise as a result of a multi-faceted change in travel and economics. With this heightened awareness among our guest more times than not it is a false alarm. It is this reason that demands for immediate compensation are met with “unapologetic and marginally interested” reaction. Calm and calculated reactions are often required in situations that are damaging to the hotels image and incomes. We treat every situation with great seriousness and have developed procedures to handle the situation. Bedbugs are usually nocturnal and reclusive making them difficult to treat. Coupled with bugs becoming more resistant to pesticides it is a problem that must be taken seriously. At this time we have completed all extermination procedures and the room has been inspected and found to be free of any and all bed bug activity.

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Recently we stayed here 1 night while in Columbia overnight. The hotel was situated well. We were greeted in a very friendly manner by the young man at the front desk. The suite was spacious and well laid out it appeared clean. Sort of a standard family suite similar to Holiday Inn Express. We had 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa. The shower was in a separate room than the toilet which was nice for a large family. That night when we went to take a shower we discovered that there were only 3 towels ( The room had been reserved for 5). There was no shampoo and the conditioner was partially used. When I called the desk they did send up shampoo and towels. Later we discovered there was no blanket for the sleeper sofa. Around 12:30 at night I was awakened by what sounded like someone doing yard work outside. When I called the desk the response was "Ma'am, It is 12:30 at night! No one is doing yard work. We don't know what the noise outside is." It lasted about 1 hour. The next morning when I got up I discovered 2 roaches running in the bathroom and that the only outlet near a mirror did not work. Disappointing when trying to dry and curl hair.
Everyone we met was friendly but apologies are all that was offered for any of the issues. I can't say this hotel would be on our list to stay at again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
SpringHillColaSC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear SouthernFam7,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. I am sorry to hear we failed to provide you the best possible stay. Most of the problems you experienced were all manageable and I have taken immediate actions to find out how they occurred and have made progress in eliminating them from happening again. The yard work noise is a new complaint we haven’t had before. I am not sure why the city decided to do street cleaning at 12:30 at night. I have filed a complaint with the city regarding their scheduling. I hope that if your travels bring you back to Columbia you will give us another chance to wow you. Please contact me directly should that opportunity arise.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Like new property and clean. Room was modern and very comfortable. Breakfast area was comfortable (and fresh strawberries were great!). Staff was courteous. Well managed and well kept property. I wasn't too sure what to make of the location at first, but soon discovered it was at the end of a section of town called the 'Vista' with a Publix supermarket almost across the street, and some decent family eating establishments up the hill. A nice walk to the State House if you have time, a bit of a hike to USC Campus especially on a hot day. Will stay here again the next time I am in Columbia.

Room Tip: Parking lot side has better views of the city than the river side
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
SpringHillColaSC, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
ilpiccs,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad to hear that you had a great stay and that you were able to enjoy so much of downtown Columbia while you were here. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future! Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Surfside Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Worst thing ever they charged me to much couldn't enjoy my vacation and now it's 2 days later and I get another 250 taken off of my card and now my account is in negative and I have to pay a 60 dollar fee. So done with this place

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
SpringHillColaSC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear 827Meme,

I’m sorry for the charging errors. Booking through 3rd party sites can cause some discrepancies and I apologize for any inconvenience we have caused. I have submitted for the compensation we discussed. I hope the hotel was to your liking and if in the Columbia area again you will give us another chance. Kindest Regards.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Spent a total of six hours here while passing through on the way back from Florida. Clean room. Modern . The bathroom set up actually worked fine for our family . Very noisy air conditioning unit. Breakfast was fine . Nothing special . I did not find the front desk staff to be super friendly . Interacted twice with them ( one billing question and one question regarding food ingredients).

Toiletries were Paul Mitchell but NO body lotion. Lobby cute. They had a bar and nice gathering area. We arrived too late to enjoy. Would stay again if in vicinity .

Stayed August 2014
SpringHillColaSC, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Ortho3311,

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and for taking the time to leave us a review on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to hear that your time with us was just average. Hopefully next trip you'll be able to stay with us a little longer and enjoy a few more of our amenities. The bar is very relaxing in the evenings. We'd love to be able to accommodate you and your family once again!

Guest care Manager
Strongsville, Ohio
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Our family stayed at this property on our way to Hilton Head, SC. We loved this hotel. It is newer, clean, and situated in a nice area downtown with plenty of walk able restaurants close by. On our way to this hotel we experienced some car trouble. We were able to schedule an appointment with Honda for 7am on Saturday. We were bummed that we would miss the breakfast window. At 6:30am, the staff was setting up for the 7am breakfast. While we were grabbing coffee, the 2 women noticed us and offered us breakfast to go. They made to go boxes for us and our children. They even raved about the marble cake and went in the back to pack us some. Those special touches really made our day memorable especially when we were stressed with our car trouble and the potential delay in our vacation.

1 Thank barryaweb
Barryaweb,

Thank you for your very kind review. I'm so sorry to hear that you had car trouble, but I'm very glad to know our breakfast staff was able to turn your day around. I'll be sure to let them know! I hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your vacation in Hilton Head and will stay with us again the next time you are passing through Columbia!