“VERY pleasantly surprised”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North
Ranked #36 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Pulling up thought this was a brand new property, and even asked at the front desk how old the hotel is. He advised it had been built in the 80's, and had been a Ramada, however, Holiday Inn bought and revamped in 2007. WOW! We got 'upgraded' to a 2 room suite, lots of room, very luxurious. Staff very friendly and helpful, room clean and comfortable and plush!

Room Tip: Ask for high floor .. we had room 637. No road noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
8105hotelgm, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgement of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a Guest recognizes our staff's efforts and takes the time to say thank you.
We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North

Reviewed 14 May 2013

So there I was, in the midst of the meanest peanut butter cravings! I was starving and carrying a jar of peanut butter in my hand when Heather came to my rescue! I asked her if she knew where I could find a spoon so I wouldnt have to scavenge around the lounge looking like a fool with my jar of extra crunchy. She politely found me some disposable "eatin' irons" and saved what could of been a disastrous evening! Seriously though great customer service.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank C-Truck32

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Heather. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgement of such a positive nature. it is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff's efforts and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Holiday Inn and Suites Columbia North a leader in excellence.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

Jodi C-Front Office Manager

Reviewed 12 May 2013

We stayed here for one night...Breakfast is Not included...You can spend $8.95 + tax for a buffet breakfast,but,the selections are VERY slim....only eggs and sausage/bacon plus a few cereal/milk...Not much by anyone's standard...No juice , no fruit , no waffles or even toast....
The room was not cheap @ $115.00 per night including the tax
The room was clean and had a nice flat screen TV with a fair selection of channels ....
The beds were fine and we slept well...
The toilet however was low and old...
The washroom had a 1/2 baked update....
We are not real picky people ,nor hard to please ,but unfortuately we won't be staying again...
We do like consistency and this hotel falls short...
The best thing they had going for them was an onsite restaurant that had resonable prices...

Room Tip: mind another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bmtravel1

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with the Holiday Inn and Suites Columbia North. Your comments have been reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action has been taken to ensure a situation of this nature will not be repeated in the future.
Please accept our sincere apologies.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

Driving through on business and ran across this place for the night. This place is very nice - clean, somewhat upscale, and comfortable. This IS NOT a Holiday Inn Express! There is no free breakfast and there is a full service restaurant which I did not have time to use.

You pay for it as this is a more upscale price range - I paid $130 for the night but I just drove up looking for a room. I am sure you could do better with proper planning.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience you had at our hotel. We appreciate it when our guests give us feedback, especially when it's areas of better improvement. We take pride in the service we offer to our guests, and expect our staff to convey to our guests how much we appreciate them.
Please let us know when you are planning to stay with us again. Thank you, again for letting us know how much you enjoyed our hotel. We appreciate you and your business. We look forward to seeing you again.

Jodi C-Front Office Manager

Reviewed 19 April 2013

Four of us had a brief stay at the Holiday Inn. It was clean, convenient to the highway, quiet and the staff was very friendly. The bathroom was so spacious that you could have taken a nice nap in there.

We did not use the gym, spa or restaurant as we were too busy headed to Augusta. There are several restaurants in the area and we had no trouble finding what we needed.

A major problem is the so called "Business Center". It has two non-functioning computers- one old and one new but neither work in any way. You can't print, check your email or access your boarding passes. The front desk was helpful with the latter, but they have enough to do and management needs to step up and fix it (or shut it down). I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but the explanation for the trouble with the computers was laughable.

The temperature setting in the room was also quite variable and the blower was loud (which did drown out certain snorers though).

Overall we were happy with our stay but obviously the place needs some changes.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
8105hotelgm, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience you had at our hotel. We appreciate it when our guests give us feedback, especially when it's areas for improvement. We take pride in the service we offer to our guests, and expect our staff to convey to our guests how much we appreciate them.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

My partner and I flew some folks down to the Masters tournament in Augusta and had to reposition to Columbia, SC. The Holiday Inn on Two Notch road was one of only a few hotels with availability.

This Holiday Inn did not live up to my expectations especially at the $170.00 price point.. I have come to expect more from full service hotels. Upon checking in to my room I found that the air conditioner did not work. Though the staff offered to relocate me to another room I declined as it was close to midnight and had already opened up my suitcase. The following day maintenance got the a/c unit running but it was now stuck on and at one specific temperature. There were also mysterious stains on the carpet and dust bunnies roaming around the bathroom floor.

The gym was fine and breakfast in the hotel restaurant was actually very good. The highlight of this stay were the staff, as everyone I encountered was friendly and helpful.

Few entertainment options surround the hotel. I realize that most guests will have a personal vehicle. However I find it hard to believe that a full service hotel has a restaurant and bar that closes at 11 and has no shuttle service. Public transit is also not an option as no transit line runs by the hotel. Incredible for the largest city in SC.

As a pilot I spend more time in hotels than most and as a result I tend to nitpick more too. It's the little details that can make or break a hotel for me. Though I enjoy holiday inn hotels and have been a priority club member for years this hotel appears to be an older property that needs an upgrade.

Room Tip: Higher floors and away from elevators is always better
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 April 2013

We stopped here driving from Cleveland, OH to Orlando, FL. The hotel was very nice. We got a suite and the jacuzzi tub was huge. It could have easily accommodated 4 people. The bed was extremely comfortable and the mini refrigerator was a nice extra to have in the room.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
8105hotelgm, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to share the wonderful experience you had at our hotel. We love when our guests give us feedback, especially when it's pleasant. We take pride in the service we offer to our guests, and expect our staff to convey to our guests how much we appreciate them.