“Good local find in Columbia”

Hunter-Gatherer Brewery & Alehouse
Ranked #17 of 984 Restaurants in Columbia
Price range: US$7 - US$18
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner
Description: Hunter-Gatherer Brewery has been brewing and serving classic ales since 1995. Starting in 2015, we will regularly feature cask-conditioned ales served from wood kilderkins made by Alastair Simms, the only master cooper in the United Kingdom. Michael Jackson, aka the "Beer Hunter", visited the Hunter-Gatherer Brewery in 1997. He wrote that the Hunter-Gatherer is "the kind of place CAMRA (Campaign For Real Ale) members might enjoy. The beer is the hero, rather than the brewery being an afterthought. In the U.S., And even sometimes in Britain, the latter is too often the case." Michael Jackson was the best beer writer and critic the world has known. A compliment from Michael Jackson is as meaningful as it gets in the brewery world.
Chicago, Illinois
“Good local find in Columbia”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Decent pub food & good in house brewed beers. Relaxed atmosphere and friendly staff. Good happy hour specials as well.

Visited September 2013

Omaha
“Good Beer, So-So Food”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My wife and I always try to eat at a few brewpubs while on vacation. Stopped here after visiting the state capitol. No parking available close, should have just walked the few blocks from our capitol spot. Ended up circling many times looking for a spot and parking within 100 feet of our original spot. Tried the stout and the ESB, both were great. Ordered crabcakes which were lukewarm at best and very small. Also had the Iberian pizza, it was just OK. I wouldn't come here for the food, but the beer and the setting make it worth a stop.

• Visited September 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
“Gross, not gourmet”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Based on reviews I looked forward to coming here. The service was perfect but that was because we ate at 430pm. I ordered smoked chicken ravioli which I did not like. That was a waste of $12.95. The salad was ok but I also didn't like the dijon vinaigrette. My husband loved his crabcake sandwich meanwhile I couldn't wait to leave.

• Visited September 2013
Annie10100, Owner at Hunter-Gatherer Brewery & Alehouse, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
I wish that you had a better experience. We try to make sure that people leave happy, but we obviously failed to do that for you. If it is possible (I am not familiar with posting rules), would you please consider taking the word gross out of the review. When I hear someone describe a restaurant experience as gross, I think of bugs or worse, not just a bad meal. Thanks, Kevin, Owner ( I dont know how I got the name Annie10100)
Lexington, South Carolina
“Excellent service. Good food. Ok beer.”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We visited early on a Sat. evening. Our waitress was serving many tables, but did a fantastic job keeping everyone happy and we were never searching for her.

Pros:

Excellent service
Pretty good food(nothing that stands out though)

Cons:

I came for the beer, but it was just mediocre. They didn't seem to match the styles very well. Some were too malty.

• Visited July 2013
Orange, CT
“Popular for a Reason”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My wife and I enjoyed having dinner here as we passed through Columbia. On a Friday evening, the restaurant and bar were full of convivial eaters and drinkers. It was noisy, but that was to be expected. The craft-brewed draft beers were very good (I liked the amber ale, my wife liked the lager), and the food was excellent, with an excellent array of chalkboard specials (which we had) in addition to the standard menu. Our server was terrific---responsive and anticipatory, but not hovering by any means. The upper floor, which rings the restaurant, gives an atrium effect to a building which was built nearly 100 years ago an an automotive repair shop. I thought our service might suffer because we were on the upper floor (servers had to go downstairs for food and beverages), but it did not. Great overall view of this fun place from the opstairs seats, which I recommend. Parking is on-street, but plentiful after hours.

• Visited July 2013