“A pleasure to visit”

Price range: US$7 - US$18
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch
Description: Hunter-Gatherer Brewery has been brewing and serving classic ales since 1995. Starting in 2015, we will regularly feature cask-conditioned ales served from wood kilderkins made by Alastair Simms, the only master cooper in the United Kingdom. Michael Jackson, aka the "Beer Hunter", visited the Hunter-Gatherer Brewery in 1997. He wrote that the Hunter-Gatherer is "the kind of place CAMRA (Campaign For Real Ale) members might enjoy. The beer is the hero, rather than the brewery being an afterthought. In the U.S., And even sometimes in Britain, the latter is too often the case." Michael Jackson was the best beer writer and critic the world has known. A compliment from Michael Jackson is as meaningful as it gets in the brewery world.
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Went there 3 times in 6 days spent in Columbia. Excellent craft ale, good food at fair prices, and probably the best piece of cheesecake I have ever eaten- creme brulee vanilla bean, amazingly tasty. Probably my favourite discovery in Columbia.

1  Thank millenniumperegrine

Reviewed 1 March 2014

This is our "go-to" place in Columbia. The unpretentious atmosphere and always-evolving menu draw an eclectic crowd, many from the University of South Carolina. Besides craft beer and flavorful food, Hunter-Gatherer has rough-hewn tables ideal for groups and couples. Get there early on Thursday nights for live jazz with nationally known musician Skip Pearson and his students.

1  Thank AidaRogers
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Enjoyed the night with old, old friends from long ago. We were late getting there - they'd already ordered. We did too, and it wasn't an interminable amount of time between the time they got their food and we got ours. I got a fish special that was outstanding, as were the sides (potatoes, green beans (haricorts verte, actually)). ALL the food looked wonderful. Our waitress was great with our large and boistrous crowd, and my being a Bud Light drinker, was able to recommend two pale ales she thought I might like - and brought them both to me at the same time, as I asked. These were no Bud Lights - haha - but were pretty durn good. Next time I'm in Columbia, this is the number one place I want to go for dinner and a few beers. We'll be back.

1  Thank Amy D
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We ended up taking a spot at the end of a table where some professors were all discussing biology. I ordered the sausage pizza, my husband the blackend shrimp po boy. Both were excellent. The waitresses were super busy, but got to us right away. It's a bit loud, but what do you expect that close to a university. I remember reading other posts about problems parking. They do have parking now in the university parking lot next door AFTER 6pm. (there is a note on the door). I would go again.

1  Thank DoloresfromIdaho
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Located steps away from the capital and the University, Hunter-Gatherer is just the right place. Be sure to check the chalkboard for specials and the featured beers. I've never had a bad meal here but would definitely recommend the cheese spread app and the Bruce pizza. Other favorites include the black bean dip and mac and cheese. Grab some friends and a beer and sit for a while, maybe you'll even catch some live music.

1  Thank ACM2014