“BBQ Worth the Search”
Review of Palmetto Pig

Palmetto Pig
Ranked #114 of 1,013 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Been open many years.
Description: Been open many years.
Reviewed 24 June 2013

If you share the idea that, with a god BBQ place, there is an inverse relationship between the condition and appeal of the building with the food that's served inside, drop by the Palmetto Pig, located just blocks from the Univ. of South Carolina campus. Certainly not much to say about the façade of this anonymous low-slung building set among an industrial area that's seen better times, but the food inside is worth the visit.
My son and I, traveling the South in April touring colleges, found this place recommended by everyone among our hotel's staff, and by several people on campus. Stopping by for a late lunch, we feasted on BBQ, with our choice of sauces, green beans cooked beyond their will to live, and macaroni. A pitcher of sweet tea adorned each table.
I quizzed two USC students who were finishing their meal, and were surprised to learn that, for one, a senior, this was his first visit. "They have strange hours" was his only explanation for not having experienced the place earlier in his college career. Indeed, it was common knowledge among those we spoke with in Columbia that BBQ places there keep odd hours, with many closed on Monday, just like European museums.
Should my son choose to attend USC, I'm certain my family will make this place a regular stop.

Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

Not the worse place i have ever been but once you try little pigs, this place does not even compare. Would recommend trying if you are debating it but the barbque is much better at little pigs. Dont take my word for it though, try for yourself and you will see.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

Went to Palmetto on recommendation from son's friend. The food was not terrible, but I really don't understand the hype about this place. The bbq was decent, the mac and cheese was okay, fried chicken (mine at least) was incredibly dry.
I guess I just like a little more atmosphere and not cafeteria style tables and buffet.
Cannot say that I have visited many BBQ places in South Carolina and maybe this is the norm, but I have had the experience of having BBQ in Charlotte and could go on all day about that visit.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

Palmetto Pig offers a nice selection of pulled pork BBQ and all the fixins, as well as good fried chicken. The all you can eat Buffet includes traditional Southern cuisine like Mac & Cheese, Coleslaw, green beans, baked beans, hush puppies, etc. The owners and staff are pleasant and inquire to make sure you have everything that you need. You certainly can't go wrong eating here, but if you want a little bit wider selection of food to chose from then make the trip across town to Little Pigs Barbecue located at 4927 Alpine Rd.

1  Thank Doc_Brower
Reviewed 12 January 2013 via mobile

Great food! Best fried chicken I've had in a long time. I also enjoyed the Mac and cheese and the sweet tea they have available. There's not much for table service but considering it's a buffet, it can be expected. There are pitchers of tea on each table so you have little fear of having an empty cup.

1  Thank d20010