“Friendly staff but noisy guests”

Holiday Inn Express I-20 at Clemson Road
Ranked #32 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
San Antonio, Texas
“Friendly staff but noisy guests”
Reviewed 6 October 2011

We stayed here for a couple of nights while attending a retirement ceremony at Shaw AFB. The hotel staff were very friendly and the room was nice and clean. We couldn't hear any traffic noise which was a nice surprise considering we were right off the freeway. Our stay was not relaxing or restful however because of the constant slamming of doors from other guests on our floor. It was all night - both nights until approximately 2am. Sounded like people room hopping.....

On the day of check out, the housekeeping staff were constantly knocking on the door even though we had until 11am to check out. With 3 people trying to get ready to leave it was most annoying to keep answering the door and telling them that we were still there. If check out is at 11am, they should allow guests time to do just that.

Finally, the complementary breakfast was just okay. The hot food was not tasty at all but the juices and pastries were fine.

Overall, an okay clean hotel with friendly staff. However, I couldn't wait to get home for a good nights sleep.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Stayed here for 2 days this past week for business purposes. Parking lot need expanding. Very dark at night and right behind some low end restaurants with lots of in/out traffic. Internet was slow and very laggy. Wifi only. Personally, I like the availability of being able to hard wire to the internet when I can.

Biggest dislike...put on 3rd floor, hotel was not packed and my Rewards profile has 1st to 2nd floor, by elevator on it. Was at the end of the hall, furthest from elevator and the elevator....well, I would have made better time taking the stairs. For 3 floors, that was the slowest elevator I've ever encountered.

Otherwise, king size bed was comfortable. Room a little on the cold side. No thermostat control on the wall...only on the window unit.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank EODirector
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Being often on the road, I really like the friendy staff at the front desk. Very accomodating, pleasant and quick to check in.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
northernNH
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I stayed in a king suite 10 days for business. I appreciated the coffee and full breakfast hot & ready at 6am. Coin op guest laundry & decent sized pool with lounge chairs.

• Stayed June 2011
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed 3 February 2011

I complained several times to hotel management about other guest making noises throughout the night. I had my two young kids with me and i had to get up in the middle of night to move them to another room. Do you think the manager ever called me back to apologize? No, his staff was coverring for him each time by saying he was at home sick. Really! Go figure. Take my word for it. If I had the opportunity I would have probably disputed the charge.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 30 October 2010

attended graduation on post - because of the direction we were coming from, we surpassed long lines from other direction - Staff was excellent - any questions, concerns were met with immediate personal service, ( forgotten personal items, lobby computer, ran out paper, extra towels) Also great breakfast with speedy freindly staff refillng as needed, had hot tea and cocoa
only problems ice machines were being worked on and when ok for use - was not fixed correctly - bugs and black debris came out with ice - thus repairmen were called back but machine never worked while there for 4 days, would see a daily bug in our room - but we are in the south, have not stayed many places that i did not see at least 1 bug - also took my work with me- when left some behind- i received a call telling me it was there and told it would be sent -still waiting for it to arrive??
nice hotel terrific staff - would stay again despite seeing a daily bug - also shopping/restaurants short drive away through residenital area and then lots of options - kind of a away from city/base but to close to necceities (everything within 10 min drive) waffle house next door to hotel - walk across parking lot for late night snack - also baby friendly had a pack n play at our request, elevators between floors for elderly family

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank vacaintheusa
UK
Reviewed 12 July 2010

We stayed in this hotel for a 3rd visit (2 rooms) 20 and 21 June. We just can't fault it. Every time we have visited the staff have been so welcoming and pleasant. The breakfast is good - everything we needed to set us up for the day and on each of our 2 days there was always something different cooking. The rooms are spotless and clean and the hotel is extremely well maintained from the reception area to the pool. For some reason the "Manager's reception" didn't happen this time. We went to one on our last visit and thought it was a nice touch and chance to mingle with staff and other visitors who were passing though. There's a few decent restaurants within walking distance and a great shopping complex just a few minutes down the road. The hotel staff are more than happy to give suggestions. We have stayed in much more expensive hotels but they just don't have the charm that this one does and that's what draws us back time after time. We use it as a "stop-off" for a few days to catch our breath whilst on our vacation and it really is a pleasure to stay there. If there's anyone from the hotel reading this - thank you!

Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
Hampton Inn Columbia I-20 / Clemson Road
Best Western Plus Columbia North East
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North
Holiday Inn Express Columbia I-26 at Harbison Boulevard
WoodSpring Suites Columbia Fort Jackson
Comfort Suites Columbia
Comfort Suites Columbia
#23 of 94 in Columbia

Been to Holiday Inn Express I-20 at Clemson Road? Share your experiences!