“5 stars for this hotel”

Holiday Inn Express I-20 at Clemson Road
Ranked #30 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 15 July 2008

We can't fault this hotel. It's lovely! We stayed there last year on a trip from Atlanta to Charleston and decided to go back. What can I say, the hotel is beautiful and clean and all of the staff were so friendly. The delightful reception staff always had a few words and seemed genuinely interested in what we'd been doing that day and what our plans were without being over nosey and gave us lots of tips on where to eat and shop. There's a lovely small pool which they kindly opened up for us at 9am even though it didn't open until 10. The breakfast was extremely good. There was even a welcome reception from the manager of the hotel with drinks and nibbles. We have used many hotels in the USA and our party all agree that this one is a little gem and it was the cheapest hotel of the 6 we had booked for our stay and most certainly the best.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank FizzUk

Reviewed 27 December 2007

Over priced for the hotel condition. Worn furnishings,
Breakfast was so-so. Check in comments were "this hotel
sells out and we get $109. Hah, that is really overpriced
for its condition and ammenties. I paid $79 and I thought
it should have been $49. They would not honor the
internet rate for aarp. Part of the problem is that its privately owned, hence the higher than normal rates.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2007

I needed a room for a quick overnight stay. Front desk staff very helpful. I booked the wrong day by mistake and the gentleman at the desk found me a room, even though they were nearly full. Clean hotel, breakfast selection was good, nothing spectacular. Clean rooms, nice bathrooms, overall a pleasant stay. Would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 March 2007

In the past I've been generally well served by Holiday Inn Express hotels, but not here in Columbia. I was booked to stay for two weeks in the city, and actually moved to his hotel after a brief time at the Holiday Inn by the airport. I thought that first place was mediocre, but this Holiday Inn Express was just pathetic.

My reservation was made for a standard room with a king bed. When I arrived I was informed that that type of room was not available, and they placed me in a double queen bed room. The front desk staff was also very much less than welcoming during check in.

Initially I thought the place was fine, below average for the chain, but nothing outright terrible. The room itself showed a lot of age, there were distinct areas where the wall paper was beginning to peel free of the wall (not many, but enough to be easily noticeable). What shocked me was that there was no desk provided. Like a Super 8, your only available place to sit other than the bed was at a cheep circular wood table with two equally cheap wood dining room chairs. I have back problems, and for someone who on average will spend 1-3 hours completing e-mails and other reports at my laptop, this situation was excruciating.

Beyond that, I experienced the worst nights sleep of my life on their queen bed. I'm not one who is picky about hard or soft or things of that nature, but I was incredibly sore when I woke up the following morning. I stated one more evening, this with almost the exact same result, and then decided that I should find someplace else.

To be fair to the place, the bathroom areas were well cleaned, and a mini-refrigerator was in the room. However, I am again surprised that a business class establishment would skimp on something as fundamental as a proper work space. I do not expect anything fancy, but a complete omission on their part is indefensible.

I left the following morning and have absolutely no regrets. Plus, I might add that my back was fine at both the regular Holiday Inn (by the airport) and at the La Quinta I moved to, this despite them both having standard hotel quality beds.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 September 2006

We stayed at this Holiday Inn Express from Sept. 13-Sept. 16, 2006 for a Ft. Jackson graduation.

Location: It was easy to get to and from the base. The area the hotel is located in is okay, with a small shopping area located close by that has excellent pizza (Z's), ice cream (Coldstone Creamery) a drugstore, etc., and there's a WalMart not too far away.

Hotel: Parking was tight sometimes, if we came back later in the evening we were rather far from the building but we always did manage to find a spot. One thing I found odd was that the bldg. didn't have automatic front doors, it was hard to juggle luggage and getting the doors open. We don't usually stay at this type of hotel, however, so maybe I'm just spoiled. The front desk staff was adequate, friendly, but not always helpful. Several of them didn't know much about the surrounding area. (Shouldn't this be mandatory in hotel staff?) The hotel was clean, hallways were nicely maintained. Soda machine on one floor was broken, most of the selections in the snack machine were empty. There is no bottled water available in the hotel (staff advised to "drink from the faucet, we do"). I thought there was a mini-fridge in each room, but ours did not have one. Not a big deal. Continental breakfast was good, quite a few selections. Tiny coffee cups. We were always trying to rush off to Ft. Jackson, so I wanted a large cup to go and wished I'd brought my own. No bread for plain old toast, a lot of high-fat, high-sugar selections. Some plain fruit, and yogurt, as well as cereal. Could have been kept better stocked, but for the most part it was okay.

Room: We had a double room. Good sized, clean, well-maintained. Carpet was not overly-worn, something I always look for. The bathroom was all in one, I prefer when they put the sink outside the shower area so you don't have the steamy mirror thing going on. The shower itself has a funky shower curtain, it doesn't hang from rings, and it doesn't seem to fit the shower. I never felt really comfortable in the shower, and shaving my legs in there was pretty dicey, it just wasn't set up well for that. Water pressure was good. Blow-dryer worked well. Coffee-maker, too.

All in all, we got this hotel at a very good price, and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sandinmypants
Reviewed 22 June 2006

Of course this is not the top of the line of hotels, but for the price you get comfort. The rooms are huge. Ours came equipped with a microwave and an small refrigerator which really came in handy.

The housekeeping was iffy at best. Our first full day, someone knocked at the door at 9:45am. We were getting dressed to go out and told her (housekeeping) to come back later. We signed a form not knowing it was a form that basically said we declined room service for the day.

The second day, again we were getting dressed for the day and again a knock at the door at 9:45. This time it was the supervisor of housekeeping. The hotel was short staffed so she was making the rooms up herself. She was VERY nice and very informative. Then walks in, Emanuel - Ladies, he's a cutie! He had a ready smile and a boyish look. Finally in walks Troy. All three were very helpful as we were looking for a club to go to after our family reunion. Troy even went as far a grabbing the entertainment paper and marked off all of Colunbia's "Hot Spots".

Day 3 we left the room prior to the 9:45 knock, only to return to a half-made room. A note was left on top of our bed that read: "It is the hotel's policy not to touch guests property". So alas our bed was not made due to a suitcase that was left on top of it.

Day 4 - check out. Despite the mishaps we had with a some-timey cleaning crew, our stay at the Holiday Inn on Clemson Road in Columbia was great. The front desk and night desk crew were great! I even got a kick out of the pleasantly plumb cute young lady who insisted on calling me ma'am even though we are close to the same age. I guess that's Southern Hospitality for you - Gotta love it!

One thing, DO NOT go to the Bojangles across the street around closing time. Frances WILL rip you a new one!!

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank Jinja1971
A TripAdvisor Member
colunbia
Reviewed 14 January 2005

You will love this hotel and the staff.
Rooms are Beautiful