“The staff very attenative”

Holiday Inn Express I-20 at Clemson Road
Ranked #30 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Philadelphia
“The staff very attenative”
Reviewed 8 May 2009

Hello everyone, I just wanted to say that our stay at this Hotel was awesome! The staff was so nice, friendly, polite, and very attenative to your needs. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. I highly recommed this Hotel and we are planning to return real soon to the Columbia SC area.

R. Wallace
Philadelphia

• Stayed April 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Virginia
Reviewed 12 April 2009

We were on our way to the Maters, in Augusta and decided to stay an hour out and save ourselves $200 so we would have more to spend on shirts and hats! The hotel was very nice with access to Hwy 20. I would not hesitate to to book a resevation. The rooms were very clean and the staff could not have been more helpful. After a 6 hour drive we decided to enjoy the free happy hour with a beer and wings before heading out to dinner. Nice touch. The breakfeast in the morning was more than a continental breakfeast which was a nice suprise. Then off to the Masters with qucik access to I20 west! Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Blairstown, NJ
Reviewed 5 December 2008

I work for the federal government and have traveled all over the world over the past 30 years. I've stayed in the best and the worst. For a Holiday Inn Express, this is by far the best one I have stayed in. Its fairly new, clean, the hot and cold breakfast was great. The staff was friendly. About the only negative thing I could say is that the shower started to run low on hot water during the peak morning shower period. Other than that I would stay here again, no problem!

• Liked — Clean, good breakfast, friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Occasional lack of hot water in the morning.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 15 July 2008

We can't fault this hotel. It's lovely! We stayed there last year on a trip from Atlanta to Charleston and decided to go back. What can I say, the hotel is beautiful and clean and all of the staff were so friendly. The delightful reception staff always had a few words and seemed genuinely interested in what we'd been doing that day and what our plans were without being over nosey and gave us lots of tips on where to eat and shop. There's a lovely small pool which they kindly opened up for us at 9am even though it didn't open until 10. The breakfast was extremely good. There was even a welcome reception from the manager of the hotel with drinks and nibbles. We have used many hotels in the USA and our party all agree that this one is a little gem and it was the cheapest hotel of the 6 we had booked for our stay and most certainly the best.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank FizzUk
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 27 December 2007

Over priced for the hotel condition. Worn furnishings,
Breakfast was so-so. Check in comments were "this hotel
sells out and we get $109. Hah, that is really overpriced
for its condition and ammenties. I paid $79 and I thought
it should have been $49. They would not honor the
internet rate for aarp. Part of the problem is that its privately owned, hence the higher than normal rates.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
South Carolina
Reviewed 15 October 2007

I needed a room for a quick overnight stay. Front desk staff very helpful. I booked the wrong day by mistake and the gentleman at the desk found me a room, even though they were nearly full. Clean hotel, breakfast selection was good, nothing spectacular. Clean rooms, nice bathrooms, overall a pleasant stay. Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
Seattle
Reviewed 5 March 2007

In the past I've been generally well served by Holiday Inn Express hotels, but not here in Columbia. I was booked to stay for two weeks in the city, and actually moved to his hotel after a brief time at the Holiday Inn by the airport. I thought that first place was mediocre, but this Holiday Inn Express was just pathetic.

My reservation was made for a standard room with a king bed. When I arrived I was informed that that type of room was not available, and they placed me in a double queen bed room. The front desk staff was also very much less than welcoming during check in.

Initially I thought the place was fine, below average for the chain, but nothing outright terrible. The room itself showed a lot of age, there were distinct areas where the wall paper was beginning to peel free of the wall (not many, but enough to be easily noticeable). What shocked me was that there was no desk provided. Like a Super 8, your only available place to sit other than the bed was at a cheep circular wood table with two equally cheap wood dining room chairs. I have back problems, and for someone who on average will spend 1-3 hours completing e-mails and other reports at my laptop, this situation was excruciating.

Beyond that, I experienced the worst nights sleep of my life on their queen bed. I'm not one who is picky about hard or soft or things of that nature, but I was incredibly sore when I woke up the following morning. I stated one more evening, this with almost the exact same result, and then decided that I should find someplace else.

To be fair to the place, the bathroom areas were well cleaned, and a mini-refrigerator was in the room. However, I am again surprised that a business class establishment would skimp on something as fundamental as a proper work space. I do not expect anything fancy, but a complete omission on their part is indefensible.

I left the following morning and have absolutely no regrets. Plus, I might add that my back was fine at both the regular Holiday Inn (by the airport) and at the La Quinta I moved to, this despite them both having standard hotel quality beds.

• Liked — The hotel lobby was nice enough.
  • Disliked — An incredibly poor quality room for the Holiday Inn Express chain.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
Hampton Inn Columbia I-20 / Clemson Road
Best Western Plus Columbia North East
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North
Holiday Inn Express Columbia I-26 at Harbison Boulevard
WoodSpring Suites Columbia Fort Jackson
Comfort Suites Columbia
Comfort Suites Columbia
#23 of 94 in Columbia

Been to Holiday Inn Express I-20 at Clemson Road? Share your experiences!