“Best location and value in downtown Columbia”

Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District
Ranked #4 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 January 2009

By far, the best location, quality, and value in downtown Columbia. I called this hotel home for nearly five months during a project. My team and I searched and stayed at several other hotels during our initial search for the "home-away-from-home" and you simply cannot beat the Hampton Inn-Downtown. Dining and entertainment can be reached by walking so after a long day of work, you can park the car and forget about traffic for the rest of the night.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank mgmtconsult

Reviewed 16 January 2009

We didn't really know anything about the area before we went to Columbia but we soon found out that staying downtown in "The Vista", as they call it, puts you close to everything from restaurants, shopping and personal needs to the museum, river walk sightseeing and nightlife. This Hampton fits in with the surroundings of brick buildings and old south charm. It was one of the only hotels in the downtown area to have it's own parking lot, we found many of the hotels downtown required you to park at a city parking garage at an extra daily fee and we felt safer returning late in the evening via our own well lit parking lot as opposed to wandering through a garage to the hotel. The staff was friendly, helpful and informative. The rooms were clean, the beds had pillow top mattresses and a firm and soft pillow selection. Breakfast was very satisfying and if you needed breakfast on the go it was bagged and ready for you at the desk. Fruit and coffee was available twenty four seven and in the evening when returning to the hotel, big soft cookies were waiting for you at the desk as you walked in. All the staff acknowledged you as you passed by whether it be in the hall, elevator or at the front desk. Definitely one of the best stays we have experienced in our travels.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank the4got10one
Reviewed 6 January 2009

I travel a lot and almost always stay at Hampton Inns, so I am very familier with them. The rooms and beds are consistent and comfortable, and they offer a good stay. Of the many I have stayed at, a very few stand out way above the others, and this Hampton Inn in the historic district of Columbia is one of the top three I have ever seen. The recognition (and attention to preferences) of a regular customer (even by staff you have not yet met you) is equal to what you would expect at a 5 star property. Add to that a location that is within a short walk of many of the cities better dining spots. You can not find a better place to stay in Columbia - trust me.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2008

Great location, great staff, great property. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Columbia.

Reviewed 1 December 2008

I was coming to Columbia, SC for a long term contract and expect to be here approximately a year. I am quite an urban creature and so I was worried that I would be at a typical hotel, near an off-ramp. NOT SO! The Hampton Inn - Historic District isn't "near" restaurants it is amongst restaurants. There are restaurants beside it, across the street and all around. The hotel is in the Vista section of Columbia which is, without a doubt, the coolest part of the city. There are art galleries, a Starbucks, a Publix and tons of restaurants all within feet of the hotel.

To top off this great location you have the most amazing staff. I travel all year for the past 12 years and I have never been treated this well before. They worked with me to get a rate that was doable for a long term stay and my second day there, there was a BEAUTIFUL gift bag left for me with lovely things inside from the "Stephanie's". I was very touched.

This is a fantastic hotel and if you are like me and need an urban environment, you will feel like you are alive staying at this Hampton Inn!

1  Thank 8740RidgeRd
Reviewed 25 November 2008

The hotel amenties were excellent and the location was great. Once we parked our car, we walked to dinner, entertainment, etc. A great atmosphere with several upscale restuarants in the area.

Reviewed 24 June 2008

This hotel is in a great location. It's walking distance to many places to eat. The staff was awesome. The hotel is beautiful. The room was extremely spacious. I wouldn't mind staying there again.

The morning breakfast was delicious. There is free coffee and tea and apples 24 hours a day.

The only slight negative is that the work out room has pretty old equiptment and the pool is outdoors. Other than that I really recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo