“NEVER AGAIN!!!!!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbia
Ranked #43 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
“NEVER AGAIN!!!!!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I booked this hotel thinking that I was getting the best hotel ever. I was greeted by a young lady at check in very unprofessional. I overlooked it due to the long drive I had just endured. I called the desk for extra towels was told " I could come get them myself" wow was all I could say!!! Where was the YES I CAN SERVICE???? The bathroom floor was dirty and the grout was not clean there was also a light bulb burned out in the bathroom it was never fixed or replaced. The breakfast was ok nothing special. The pool area was a joke the Jacuzzi jets were broken so it was like sitting in a hot tub with hot water. Overall experience was not what I expected since I work in the hospitality field.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lisa J
Cis220, Management at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbia, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay and the disappointing service you received from our staff. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services, and our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best service. We apologize that our spa was down due to an unexpected motor failure during your stay, but we hope you were still able enjoy the indoor heated pool, fitness center, business center, and other amenities we have on property. Our maintenance staff is hard to work to make sure that the issues you experienced in your room are corrected, including the discoloration in the floor grout that you have mentioned. We strive to provide a great breakfast to start your day off with, which includes fresh make your own waffles, rotating hot items, including Canadian bacon, eggs, sausage links, potatoes, biscuits and gravy, fresh cut fruit, yogurt, and many more items to begin your day with. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Please reach out to any of our employees directly should you have any concerns during or after your next stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Their fresh baked cookies upon check-in was the best part. :) Average hotel. Great price. Spa did not work but it was still warm so we were able to use it and it is open late which is a huge plus. The hot breakfast was yummy. Go earlier rather than later we found food was fresher. They fumigate we found a dead cockroach in the room. No big deal, I would much rather see a dead one than a live one! Great choice for Fort Jackson graduations with added amenities you would not get on base.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travelbug7282
Laguna Beach
Reviewed 13 April 2014

For the $$ way over rated. Stayed 3 nights and didn't get cleaning on the second day. Didn't discover it until we arrived to our room after 10pm. Which is a drag for being gone all day not to have clean towels, bed made etc… It was embarrassing as I had a family member with me whom I hadn't seen in 10 years. Not good. Then told there would be no discount if I'd made reservations through Expedia or similar. We did book directly but really $20 off wasn't much of a discount.

Also the room was in my name, but my brother in another room was given my key. They wouldn't give me a key as he had it! So I had to call him to come back and let me into my room. VERY disorganized!

The road into the hotel is awful. You drive past abandoned buildings on the worst pot holed road ever. Makes you wonder from the start.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank LagunaGypsy
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbia, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our staff in regards to the lack of housekeeping. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards. Also, we apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel's driveway. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience as your comments are valued and will be used to consider improvements in the future.
Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here last weekend and overall it was a very pleasant stay. The motel and room were clean and comfortable. The young girl on the desk when we arrived was very pleasant and quite helpful.
The only complaint I have is the breakfast was awful. Unfortunately, the person who was supposed to work the breakfast shift didn't show up because he/she “didn't get the shift schedule.” The night desk person put out some coffee and a couple of items. There were only dregs in the oatmeal pot. The fruit was canned fruit cocktail.
The manager arrived and also pitched in relieving the night desk person.
Perhaps a backup plan is required when this happens such as a gift card for, heaven forbid, “breakfast” at a nearby McDonalds!
It was just a poor start to the day when we had prebooked three consecutive nights at this chain after becoming accustomed to the consistency of the amenities such as the breakfast.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Burlington, NC
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The good:
1) The room was spacious enough... clean... the TVs were nice.
2) The hours for the indoor pool and hot tub were fantastic (6 am - 12 midnight). I appreciated that (as we got in around 8:30 pm)
3) The free hot breakfast was pretty good. We had waffles, scrambled eggs (tasted powered, but they were okay), sausage links, sausage gravy & biscuits, fruit. The coffee was very good.
4) The location was excellent
5) The rooms were pretty quiet - and especially good considering that the hotel was completely full.

The not-so-good:
1) The check-in was strange. I had to wait over 5 minutes for a desk person to show up... who when he did finally come to the counter, kind of scolded me... wait for it... because I had to wait. It was like it was MY fault that we arrived (and I came in) when the front desk was unattended. Awkward beginning to a stay.
2) The indoor was pretty cold for an indoor pool. (Also, no pool towels at 8:30 pm was a little annoying - we stayed 1 1/2 hours, and nobody checked the pool towel supply).
3) The hot tub was way less than hot. It was warm enough to enjoy, but really - they're supposed to be somewhere around or over 100 degrees, right? This one wasn't close.
4) This may sound petty, but a 3 story hotel needs more than 1 waffle maker. It was a wait for everyone who wanted to make a waffle. (They were good though).

Overall --- this Country Inn & Suites was pretty good... we've stayed at some that were certainly better, but we still enjoyed our stay and will look to stay with County Inn & Suites again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
vermont
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We choose this hotel as it looked less complicated getting office the interstate, just far enough out of the main center of the city for easy on and off. Had hoped to tour Ft Jackson but due to ice storm the base was closed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple