“Not up to the standard of other Country Inn & Suites”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbia
Ranked #43 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 24 July 2014

So, I honestly am a nice person and I don't leave negative feedback very often, but this hotel was pretty disappointing. We only stayed one night, and we arrived late, but the property on the whole just felt run down. It's especially annoying that you drive past several (nicer) hotels to get to this one... The room was OK, but there was a stain on the spare blanket we had to use for the pull out couch that made it look as though it had not been cleaned. Ew. The carpets in the hallways are saggy and the walls just look dingy. We stepped over a dead cockroach in the hallway on the way to our room (better than a live one!). One of our room keys was not functional, and the demeanor of the girl who checked us in did not make me want to go back and ask for a fix. In the morning, the woman at the desk was not very friendly either. We stay at lots of Country Inn & Suites because we are Club Carlson members and they are usually a nice affordable option for our family of five to actually fit in a hotel room. This is by far the least nice one we have stayed in.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Adriane L

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Great from the beginning to the end. Great location. Great rate. Clean bathroom, which is very important to me. I am really starting to like Country Inn's and Suites they have a home a way from home feeling to it with reasonable prices.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Amber W
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Other than being told there was something wrong with the pool right from the start, this hotel was actually nice. The beds were very cushy. The staff was very friendly. Very pleased with my experience. I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We were passing through Columbia and needed a place to stay for our family of 5. This place fit the bill and was a reasonable price. The room had two queen beds and a pull-out sofa. The main bedroom could be closed off to the bathroom and sitting area. The beds were firm, but very comfortable; I didn't feel my husband moving around/turning over at night. My son who slept on the sofa bed said that it was very comfortable (but he IS a kid!). The room was VERY quiet!
Breakfast was free and was OK - nothing stellar. Nice, small indoor saltwater pool and hot tub. Overall, I would recommend this for a stay.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I booked this hotel thinking that I was getting the best hotel ever. I was greeted by a young lady at check in very unprofessional. I overlooked it due to the long drive I had just endured. I called the desk for extra towels was told " I could come get them myself" wow was all I could say!!! Where was the YES I CAN SERVICE???? The bathroom floor was dirty and the grout was not clean there was also a light bulb burned out in the bathroom it was never fixed or replaced. The breakfast was ok nothing special. The pool area was a joke the Jacuzzi jets were broken so it was like sitting in a hot tub with hot water. Overall experience was not what I expected since I work in the hospitality field.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisa J
Cis220, Management at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay and the disappointing service you received from our staff. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services, and our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best service. We apologize that our spa was down due to an unexpected motor failure during your stay, but we hope you were still able enjoy the indoor heated pool, fitness center, business center, and other amenities we have on property. Our maintenance staff is hard to work to make sure that the issues you experienced in your room are corrected, including the discoloration in the floor grout that you have mentioned. We strive to provide a great breakfast to start your day off with, which includes fresh make your own waffles, rotating hot items, including Canadian bacon, eggs, sausage links, potatoes, biscuits and gravy, fresh cut fruit, yogurt, and many more items to begin your day with. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Please reach out to any of our employees directly should you have any concerns during or after your next stay.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Their fresh baked cookies upon check-in was the best part. :) Average hotel. Great price. Spa did not work but it was still warm so we were able to use it and it is open late which is a huge plus. The hot breakfast was yummy. Go earlier rather than later we found food was fresher. They fumigate we found a dead cockroach in the room. No big deal, I would much rather see a dead one than a live one! Great choice for Fort Jackson graduations with added amenities you would not get on base.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelbug7282
Reviewed 13 April 2014

For the $$ way over rated. Stayed 3 nights and didn't get cleaning on the second day. Didn't discover it until we arrived to our room after 10pm. Which is a drag for being gone all day not to have clean towels, bed made etc… It was embarrassing as I had a family member with me whom I hadn't seen in 10 years. Not good. Then told there would be no discount if I'd made reservations through Expedia or similar. We did book directly but really $20 off wasn't much of a discount.

Also the room was in my name, but my brother in another room was given my key. They wouldn't give me a key as he had it! So I had to call him to come back and let me into my room. VERY disorganized!

The road into the hotel is awful. You drive past abandoned buildings on the worst pot holed road ever. Makes you wonder from the start.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank LagunaGypsy
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our staff in regards to the lack of housekeeping. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards. Also, we apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel's driveway. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience as your comments are valued and will be used to consider improvements in the future.