Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown
Residence Inn
US$106
US$103
US$111
All reviewstaylor streetpancake machinehi expressfront deskcinnamon rollsturkey sausageroom facingbusy roadstreet noisebusiness tripwalking distancethe room was nicerestaurants and barssofa bedstaff was very friendlynice place to staythe breakfast area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Admittedly it's been a while since I've stayed in a Holiday Inn Express so I was not sure what to expect and wasn't certain where the hotel was located when I booked it. To my surprise, not only was it in a great, convenient location, it could not have been more clean and the room was very modern and accommodating. It's a little tricky to get in and out of the hotel because the side street is one way, and the street in front of the hotel that leads to I-126 will not allow you to make a left turn because of a concrete median in the road. Other than this, I must say that this hotel was extremely clean to the point of there not being a speck of anything in the room or bathroom. I am a very discriminating traveler so I was pleased to find that the room was spotless. Housekeeping is to be commended. The room was also very quiet, although my room overlooked the parking area and not the nearby highways. Rooms facing these streets may not have been as quiet, although I had no noise issues as noted in other reviews. There was a nice manager's reception in the lobby with complimentary beer and wine as well as appetizers that all looked fresh. The lobby itself is attractive and clean as well. While this is a few blocks from restaurants and not really an option to walk to any area restaurants, it is not only extremely convenient to Downtown Columbia, easily accessible and very convenient to access I-126 and then I-26 and I-20 while still being away from the interstate. I highly recommend this property and will definitely stay here again should I have another business meeting in the area,

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the parking lot to avoid any possible highway noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for the great review!! I have passed along your great comments to the housekeeping staff. They are always happy to hear when their hard work is commented on. We understand we sit on an odd corner for the roads. The front desk staff is always happy to give you recommendations on which entrance to exit from to get you to where your going. We are happy you enjoyed the managers reception. This runs every Monday through Thursday evening with complementary beer and wine (2 drink max) along with fresh made appetizers. All nearby restaurants are located in the Vista area which is about a 15-20 minute walk depending on where you are heading. We hope to see you again soon and thank you again for the review!

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed here for three nights on business. The stay was great on all fronts. The staff was extremely kind and accommodating from the front desk staff greetings whenever I arrived or departed daily to the staff managing the breakfast/snack area. In fact, there was a discrepancy with the rate I was quoted versus the rate on my bill. I reported it to staff, provided proof and they corrected the mistake without any drama. The hotel was clean from the lobby to the fitness room to the guestrooms. Housekeeping staff was efficient and did a good job maintaining my room as well. I never saw staff sitting around doing nothing; they were constantly busy.

At first, I was concerned that my room was street side and that I would be bothered by the nighttime noise, but that didn't happen. Despite the fact that this was an older hotel, there were many modern touches that set it apart. For example, they provided disposable cosmetic cloths! What an idea! Holiday Inns typically use white washcloths and towels and I feel terrible when I have to wash my makeup off for fear of staining them. This solved the problem! Another delightful perk was the option to choose a soft or firm pillow - it said so on the pillow case! I used both in combination. Teehee! The other thing I liked was free parking. Even on business, expenses count.

Negatives? There wasn't a place to hang wet washcloth and towels except on the back of the door. If they ever re-model, they need to add towel racks in the bathrooms. The hotel isn't within walking distance of restaurants, but The Vista is 5 minutes away if you have a car. Also, the gym equipment needs to be serviced; adding free weights would be a plus.

Overall, this hotel served me well and I will return if I'm ever in Columbia again. I stayed in another Holiday Inn chain the following week and it was the opposite in many ways, so the standards of individually owned and operated hotels make a difference. This one did the brand proud.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Crecia

Thank you for the great and detailed review!! We are happy you enjoyed our hotel and it makes us proud for the comments. The front desk staff is always happy to assist the guest in any way they can. I am happy to hear they were able to assist you with the rate discrepancy. The staff appreciates your comments and that they were able to help you. I am glad to see you enjoyed your room. I hope you will be back again as we continue to add more items and touches to our hotel. We like to offer free parking and wifi to all guest since as you said it counts in express travel. I will look into seeing what we can do to add more ways to hang towels and washcloths in the bathrooms. Thank you again for the review and the comments. We hope you will be back again soon!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

While deployed with the military I made a reservation for an upcoming football weekend, believing that by that time I would leave active duty and enjoy some time off. Due to a change in circumstances, I will not leave active duty as planned and cannot travel to Columbia as I intended.

At the time of booking, this hotel's website indicated a deposit was due at the time of booking, which would be lost if the reservation was cancelled. Some three months later, our credit card was finally charged. We then attempted to cancel our reservation and were told losing the deposit actually meant being charged in full for both nights of the reservation. We attempted to remedy the situation but were denied twice. We were told the policy has since changed stating explicitly that payment in full is due at booking and the hotel will attempt to book the room when we do not arrive, almost assuring they will earn a double profit on this room. I've never had a problem with this chain of hotels before and I've come away very disappointed.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all guest reviews and comments. We apologize for any inconvenience you feel you experienced with your reservation restrictions. Your reservation was booked on a home football game weekend which has special restrictions that have been in place since the start of the 2013 year. All of these weekends state that a deposit for the entire stay is due for your reservation to be held. We apologize for the inconvenience in the system lag on the deposit being taken. We have notified the appropriate people so this can be looked into and corrected. We thank you for bringing this system error to our attention. These weekends are also a non-refundable weekend if you decide to cancel or do not show for your reservation. Yes, this does mean that you lose your deposit which is for the full amount as stated when booking. All of these restrictions are stated at the time of booking and also on the confirmation page you receive. We have reviewed the copy of your confirmation page you sent us by email and it does have the policies listed on it. We again apologize for any inconvenience you feel you have experienced and hope you will continue to stay with the IHG hotels. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

First stay at this hotel an stayed for the Color Me Rad 5k!

The hotel lobby was lovely, the staff wonderful!

The problem is, I forgot to check TripAdvisor for oher reviews...and the location is very LOUD! The hotel is surrounded by main roads (including a five-lane, one way route) and a rail road track, to which all stayed busy! Even at around 3 AM, we could here horns blaring (whether train or cars, not sure, but not welcome).

But, this is not the hotel's fault and was the only problem. We used P-Club rewards points and stayed for free :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We appreciate all reviews by all guest. We apologize for any inconvience the traffic or train may have caused you. We will be looking into any way we can to help lessen the noise. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will visit again. We hope you also enjoyed the Color Me Rad 5K!!

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed here on one of our trips to SC, since the hotel we usually book was full for the extra day we needed. The staff was really nice and offered information on where to go for fun outings. The breakfast food was well stocked in the mornings.s Thanks to the staff for all their help.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Washington1fan
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I have passed along your great comments to the staff. They always enjoy hearing when they have been able to help out the guest during their stay. The front desk staff always can suggest places to visit, eat and activities going on in the area. We hope you will come back again to stay with us in the future!