“Great Place and Near Downtown”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown
Ranked #36 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
East Brunswick, New Jersey
“Great Place and Near Downtown”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This hotel appears to be very new. If not, it is extremely well kept.

It is located right off of downtown Columbia and you can get to business, government, USC and restaurants with no problem.

The hotel has a nightly happy hour which is a very nice touch and great to unwind to after a long day.

The staff is very friendly and helpful and looks out for your needs.

It is also a great value and you get a great room and service for the price.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Hi Paul!
Thank you for your compliments on our facilities and staff! We are proud of our building and work hard to keep it looking great for all of our guests. We're also pleased that you enjoyed our Manager's Happy Hour as it is a great time for our guests to meet and mingle with each other - usually everyone has a lot of fun. I have also passed along your compliments about our staff's friendliness and service to them as a reminder that their attentiveness to guest's needs does not go unnoticed.
Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay and we look forward to seeing you again in Columbia soon!

Jennifer Maestas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

I was there last month for work having the worst time with flights and such and I ended up getting stuck downtown at 2 am with no where to go. The night person Anice was very nice she noticed I was having a bad day and she was very helpful to getting what I needed and making sure I was comfortable. She went out of her way when the cab I called did not show up when I needed them to, she took me herself so that I would not miss my scheduled charter. I know she must have been tired working all night and who knows how far out of her way she went to take me there. I was on time and got home safely thanks to such a caring person. That was wonderful customer service!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us! I am glad we were able to accommodate you after what sounds like a long and frustrating journey! I have passed along your compliments to our front desk staff, especially Anneice, and they will be happy and encouraged to know that their efforts to make our guests comfortable are appreciated. Thank you again for your lovely review and we hope to see you again soon when your travels bring you back to Columbia!
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Overall a good choice and a comfortable place to stay. Lobby and rooms were very clean. Front Desk staff was very polite and helpful. Breakfast was above average for buffet at similar medium priced hotels (turkey sausage vs pork was a nice touch). I had one minor maintenance issue with the drain in the bathroom sink. Told the front desk as we left and it was fixed when we returned four hours later which I found quite impressive, especially with hotel full due to USC graduation.

Two words of caution. First, the map on TripAdvisor shows incorrect location. Hotel is 4 blocks farther from downtown at the intersection of Taylor and Huger (check correct location with address on MapQuest). I was trying to get within easy walking distance of my daughter's apartment so this was particularly aggravating since I made non-refundable reservations months ago due to graduation. Checked again tonight and location is still incorrect. Not the end of the world but I cannot understand how/why map on TripAdviser is incorrect.

Second, location is very close to railroad tracks. Roads run over the tracks so there are no train whistles but train rumble can certainly be heard if you are on that side of the hotel. Not an issue for me but could be if you are a very light sleeper.

Even with the above two issues, I would stay there again. Also would recommend it to others as long as the two cautions are not deal breakers for your situation.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper get a room on the side away from the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Greetings John!
Thank you for your compliments and for taking the time to review your stay with us. We take pride in our clean, comfortable guest rooms and inviting lobby area and are glad that you enjoyed it as well.
I'm sorry for any confusion that TripAdvisor's map may have caused for your plans, we have provided them with our correct street address and are working to get this issue corrected so it will not affect future guests. I hope that you still consider this a minor inconvenience as you said in your review.
We hope that you enjoyed your time here in "Famously Hot" Columbia and look forward to seeing you again soon - please let me know what we can do to make your next stay even better!

Greenville, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Booked this place for a short one night trip. The room was nice. The high ceilings were a nice touch. The front desk was polite and helpful. The door locks were a little tricky. They didn't want to open unless you held your breath the exact way. Seems like something they could fix. We didn't eat breakfast, but it seemed nice. Eggs and sausage which is nice for free continental.The location was good. It's right downtown (walking distance from Congaree Vista) so there is some neat places to eat. Overall, if you are looking for a nice place to stay for pretty good price, check it out.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Philip M,

Thank you for your considerate review. It is lovely to hear you liked our location and found the front desk polite and helpful. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note of your valuable comments regarding the door locks and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Winter Park
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I have not stayed at an IHG property in a while, but got the room at a great bid price via Priceline. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever enjoyed, and I liked the embroidered pillowcases so you could pick a firm or soft pillow. Room was quiet, I slept well. The breakfast offered good coffee, protein, and fruit choices, besides the cheap sweet carbs. Place was clean, front desk was friendly, and the riverfront park offers a nice place for several miles of walking or running. I would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hi Janet!
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Columbia, SC! We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay, especially the brand-new pillows and incredibly comfortable bed. We always strive to provide a relaxing and stress-free stay and we're happy that you experienced exactly that. I'm also glad that you were able to make use of the beautiful Riverfront Park walking trails that are just across the street from our location. Thank you again for your recommendation and please let us know what we can do to make your next visit even better!

St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This was a comfortable two night stay. The hotel is a pretty fair walk from the actual downtown area and particularly to campus. It's situated on the corner of two very busy streets so the traffic noise can be higher than you might otherwise be hoping for. That all being said the room was clean and comfortable and I really liked the big walk in shower (we were in a jacuzzi suite which had this option).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us! We are conveniently located just a few blocks from the restaurant, shopping and nightlife district known as the Vista and a few blocks further to the University of South Carolina campus. We are glad you enjoyed the walk-in shower and the jacuzzi suite and hope to see you again soon when you visit Columbia again!
Orange Park, Florida
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This property meets the standard expected for this range of hotel. Room is comfortable and clean. Evening "Manager's Reception" with wine, beer and a decent selection of munchies is a nice touch. Breakfast is the standard fare for this class of hotel: dry cereal, airline eggs, juice, dry cereal, hot breads, ham slices, and an unfortunately "out of service" pancake machine.

Contrary to information provided on the web, this hotel is not really within walking distance of the restaurant district in "the view", nor the Capitol complex.

It's a clean, decent place to stay, but nothing at all special.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Greetings Fairfax Bob!
Thank you for staying with us in Columbia! We are only 3 blocks away from the 40+ different restaurants and bars in the Vista nightlife district, but we can understand how some guests would be more comfortable driving there as well - next time please let us know what your preference is and we will be happy to arrange cab service to your favorite restaurant!
I'm happy to hear that everything else in the hotel met and exceeded your expectations - we always appreciate when guests take the time to comment on our Manager's Happy Hour, free Wi-Fi, awesome and helpful front desk agents, and beautiful facilities. We're so glad you enjoyed everything and hope we can make your next stay in Columbia great too!