“Love it” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Groups
Columbia, South Carolina
“Love it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

I just love their mexican food. It is one of my favorite places to go in town. If you are a cheese fan, try the mexican potatoes. Potatoes sliced 1/4" thick, salty, covered in cheese with peppers and onions - to die for. Their chicken is wonderfully marinated. Loved their chili relleno as well.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank lesalia17

Columbia, South Carolina
“overall great value with very good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Second time here in few years , must admit I need to frequent it more often.
Went for lunch got the chicken fajita with a cheese quesidilla , rice and beans. All the food was very good and fresh tasting . It appears they use a lot of fresh ingredients. The amount of food served for my dish was a plenty.
Had plenty left over for a 2nd meal later . All this for 6.95 . This is not the same stuff you get at San Jose or Monterrey, its better.... give it a try .

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank foodie4thought2013
“BEST TAMALES and CHIMIS EVER!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

We went last Saturday with some friends and as always the food was AWESOME!! Everything I've ever had here has been absolutely WONDERFUL!!!! The food is delicious and service was excellent. Can't wait until I go again!!

2 Thank Mommie34
“Was expecting so much more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

I had multiple friends tell me this place was great, so I tried it. We had a terrible first trip, their power went out, and the waitress didn't seem to be able to keep up with our table, even though we were the ONLY table. The mole was only average, the chips and salsa were bland, and don't even think about the flan (weird texture that seemed like it was curdled before it set). The only thing good in the meal was the tamale and the rice. So, we said totally average. Our friends kept telling us we needed to go back and try again, it must have been an off night. So we gave it a second try. This time we both got a tamale and a chile relleno (both highly recommended by our friends). The chile relleno was big, and full of cheese, but one of the blandest dishes I've ever tried. The tamale was just as good as before, but the chips and salsa still a miss. Just not doing it for us.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank handyengineer
Orangeburg, South Carolina
“Real Good Mex without the TeX”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

First of all two things - don't be fooled by the strip mall location and the portions are huge. We had read raving reviews about this place. "Best Mexican Restaurant in Columbia", yada yada, so we decided to give it a try. We were greeted as soon as we walked in the door. The atmosphere is clean, well lit, decorated but not cheesy. The menu is vast - it took me a good while to make my way through it. The chips were fresh and tasty, the salsa (while not chunk\y as I prefer it) extremely well flavored. I ordered 3 beef tacos and a Chili Relleno. My husband ordered the #11 special, which has about one of everything on it. When our orders came, I knew I had done well to order "small". The tacos themselves were very generous, but the re-fried beans were to die for, home made and seasoned just right. The rice was done well also. Then I looked at the "Side dish" (my Chili Relleno) which was a meal in itself. Meanwhile what they brought my husband could easily feed a family of four. We did not take the reviews that said "order carefully" seriously - take my advice - order carefully. The table can share. Then, as if my husband had not had enough- he could not finish, he wanted dessert. He lived in Guadalajara and loves Flan but is truly a "flan snob." He said Cecilia's Flan was hands down the best he has ever had. Folks that is saying a lot, because we have eaten at a many a Mexican restaurant and I have never heard him utter those words. Although I read reviews about waiters being a little more engaging and bringing guests food to try, our waitress was friendly and efficient, but I do not think we got the best of the bunch. I can assure you we will be back - often. There were many steak and seafood dishes I want to try.

1 Thank ACW2243