“Love it”

Irmo, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love it”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Recently moved to Columbia & where we are from, we had the best authentic Mexican restaurant in the South! I give 4 stars. Ate here at least 10 times & always good food!!!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Jmb0479

Jamaica
“Best Authentic Mexican Food”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

After a bad experience at Sabroso's Mexican restaurant in Greenville, SC, I decided to avoid Mexican restaurants. However, upon moving to COlumbia SC, I read great things on Tripadvisor about Cecilia's and decided to try it out. We were not disappointed.
We went to Cecilia's on a Friday night and it wasn't full. Note that the restaurant is in the strip mall along with other restaurants.

We went in and was immediately greeted by the owner. She was pleasant and welcoming and showed us to a table. Our waiter was attentive and we were served chips and salsa with choice of beverage within 3 minutes. My hubby ordered fajitas which were served on a sizzling platter with refried beans, rice, the best pica de gallo ever and guacamole. I had the pollo fundido which was pounded chicken breasts with queso blanco sauce and served with refried beans, rice and pica de gallo.

The meal was excellent except for the chicken which was a little rubbery. I told the waiter and the owner came and apologized and changed it without question. the replacement chicken came quickly and was tender and delicious. I would have given 4 stars for the rubbery chicken but the ease with which it was replaced deserves mention and recognition.

Beware, the servings are HUGE. Every table there took food to go and we were no exception. The food was also not very salty as seems to be the trend at a lot of Tex Mex restaurants. The spices were simple but flavourful.

For dessert, we tried the flan and while it was delicious, be aware it is more the authentic flan which is not as creamy like the cheesecake texture that you get at many Tex Mex restaurants.

We enjoyed the food so much and would DEFINITELY be back. The best part is that those large servings of food does not break the bank as the two meals including dessert and tip was $32 for two.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank kimmieval
Columbia, South Carolina
“Real Mexican Food found in Columbia”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Our first time here was a God-send. We had been living in Columbia for months, and had not found any good Mexican food. Coming from San Antonio, TX, we were used to having fresh, authentic Mexican food and we really missed it. Thankfully, we met Cecilia, the owner, on our first of many visits. She was charming and a great host. The food was delightful, fresh and authentic. It is the #1 Mexican restaurant in Columbia, SC. Tip: Try the fajitas.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank MMW123
Chapin, South Carolina
“Good food and great prices”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We visited Cecilia's on a Saturday night just after the dinner rush so there was not problem being seated. The menu is quite large with options for just about anyone. Portions are huge and substitutions are graciously accepted. Thee is no bar but they have a pretty good beer selection. We will definitely stop by again.

Visited November 2013
West Columbia, South Carolina
“THE BEST”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I don't ordinarily like Mexican food. After trying Cecelia's , I think I will go back....It was absolutely delicious! We went with our son and he had been there several times before so of course he knew what to order, so we let him choose something that we would like...I cannot remember what it was , but it had refried beans and a small salad on the side and something that was crisp with some chicken in it. The amount of food was more than I could eat, so I brought it home in a box...which is rare. I would suggest you give them a try and see what you say...I bet you would say what I say..they are the BEST!

• Visited November 2013