“You get what you pay for, but it should be clean”

Motel 6 Columbia West SC
Ranked #69 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Stayed a week while in between leases. First, I originally checked in on a 2nd story room. With the 3rd floor being dedicated to smoking rooms, I couldn't handle the smell. Got moved to a 1st floor without issue. But, this place was absolutely filthy...both rooms. The carpet appears to not have been cleaned in the 4 years since a review here said it was new carpet. I brought my own carpet cleaner and actually cleaned a hotel's carpet for them...it was the most disgusting seen I've ever seen in my life. The room was non smoking but it was very evident it had been smoked in. The 3rd night, the upstairs room must've had an overrun toilet or something...water leaked down the walls and soaked the carpet. Was told by staff that it happens and just offered to move me. The smoke detector battery died on the 4th night...started chirping at 4am. Mold/mildew ring around the bathtub that wouldn't come clean...probably caulked over. Every surface had some kind of film on it that came off after a good scrubbing with some clorox wipes. Lastly, this is in a very bad area of town. It's pretty obvious there's some business transactions going on that the IRS will never find out about on a W-2 around there...

Worst...stay...ever. If it weren't so cheap, there's no way I could've put up with it for a week...almost couldn't.

Room Tip: Stay on the 1st floor. Easy in/out, less of a smoking odor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Thomas B

Reviewed 17 December 2011

We routinely stay at Motel 6s throughout the country and this one was better than most. We have stayed in some where everything from the front door, to the smoke alarm, to the faucets have some sort of problem but this was OK. Remember, you get what you pay for so if you want more than the basics, pay more somewhere else.

Room Tip: Always check faucets, hot water, toilet flushability, etc. before you get settled in. If you like a...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Praline39588
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I had a reservation, but when I entered the room, it was trashed. It looked like someone started to clean it and then quit. The lady at the desk gave me a different room.
The room looked like it was painted by a drunk. There was paint on the door hinges and the towel rack.
And the towel! (yes singular) That thing belongs on a belt sander; same size and texture.
The caulking around the tub sealed in the public hair like a honeybee in amber (gross!).

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank biggerjim
Reviewed 28 May 2011

When me got there front desk worker was very friendly. The room looked like any other motel 6 , a little shady but not that bad. Bathroom door wouldn't close and our room smelt like weed. We stayed for four nights and it was 90 degree weather our first night we slept uncomfortably because the air conditioner was broken. We did call for them to fix it the next day and they did so. The second day they did not clean our room. Just fresh towels. The third day they just asked if we wanted house keeping service and were very friendly. I just asked for fresh sheets and towels. Once the house keeper come around we were in our room but told her we were about to leave. She informed us she was busy and asked us if we wanted to put the sheets on ourself in a very rude manner. The positives were the area was very convenient, the pool was nice, not to much disturbances and the shower was amazing. We did have young boys that were knocking on our door and running away. We just figured they were bored.

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank ashlynorm
Reviewed 30 April 2011

Why was there a mouse in my room???!! Nasty! First he was in the tub, then in the garbage can. This was discovered at 3am. Our room was switched, to a king size bed for three people, My mother, myself and my 18 year old neice..shall I say uncomfortable. But to make matters worse, there were blood stains on the carpet in the room they switched us too!! Fortunately, the staff was nice about it and gave me a full refund. I then proceeded to get the heck outta there and find a new hotel!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank mds231
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Do not stay here! We stayed here one night on our way back from Disney World, the room was NASTY.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kellbug1980
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I was drawn to stay hear because of the price and location. It seemed very promising when I arrived because the front desk clerk was very friendly. All I asked for was a room in a quiet area of the hotel. She said that was not a problem because they had security on staff to keep the trouble makers away. Well I got to my room and it was disgusting! The carpet hadn't been swept in a very long time and the trash was full. The carpet was also very stained. Luckily I had two beds, because one was so sunken in, I had to switch to the other. I was still hoping that I would be able to atleast get a quiets night sleep. Well that ended around 8:30pm when the room next to me was obviously rented out to a prostitute who promptly began "working" around 8:30. Nothing worse than having to listen to that all night. I will never stay at this hotel again! Not recommended for anyone that has children or wishes to just get a decent nights sleep.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo