“Season opening visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Season opening visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

Visited Williams-Brice in August for season opener Gamecocks game. I purchased my ticket through my school's athletic foundation, so our seats were not fantastic, but the view was very good. Being on the upper deck, I appreciated the 4 wide ramps up the the upper level. It was also nice that the seats on the east side upper deck were not at too extreme an angle. We could still see fine, but we didn't feel like we were standing on the folks in front of us shoulders like some stadiums. The aluminum bleachers have backs which is also not found in all college facilities.

A few negatives from my vantage point. . . it was in August and so quite hot (95+ at kickoff), yet the concessions near my section began running out of 1 liter bottles of water in the first quarter. They still carried the other, smaller bottles, but I would have expected them to be better prepared. It's a lot easier to carry fewer bottles to get more water than a lot of the smaller bottles. I sat in section 508, yet my ticket read to enter at Gate 18. Gate 18 was on the north side of the east side, but section 508 is on the south of the east side. So we walked what seemed like a very long distance just to walk back the way we'd come. Not sure if that was traffic flow or what, but it seemed like a long way out of the way for us. Another example of extra walking came when we asked an usher for assistance. When we first arrived, we walked up to the vomitory and showed our tickets to the attendant. We had seats 1 and 2, and asked where we should go up. He sent us up the steps (around 40 rows), but when we arrived we were on the wrong end of the row. This meant we had to ask many people to stand up to let us pass. It was the first game, so I'll say it's not that big of a deal; however, the ushers main function should be to guide people with questions like ours. This shouldn't be that difficult. The other criticism is the men's bathrooms in our area had the large trough-style urinals. I was sort of surprise by this because the rest of the stadium seems much more modern than ones where I expect to find that level of accommodation. On the other hand, the lines at the men's rooms were fine, so the trade-off is probably worth it.

We only had water, hot dogs and boiled peanuts. Those were fine but nothing special. Only one vendor came up to our section and that was at the end of the fourth quarter. He had one drink with him. No complaint about that as we were high up in the visitor's sections, but thought it worth noting for others.

The atmosphere was quite good as one would expect at an SEC venue. The USC fans engaged in some minor smack-talk but were basically polite and simply pulling for their team. Our interaction with them, both before and after the game was positive. I would have no problem bringing young children to a game here.

If your team is playing here, I highly recommend planning on attending.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank John R

Concord, North Carolina
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Plan on two hours to get out”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

We chose to take a cab to the Texas A&M game, after hearing that parking was difficult. Getting there in the cab was easy. The tailgating was really fun and the college football atmosphere in the stadium was electric. Leaving the game was terrible. We had no idea that there would be absolutely no way to catch a cab on the way out. When we called the cab company after the game, they essentially laughed at us. The stadium is in an industrial area with no businesses or restaurants. We waked over three miles to finally get to an intersection where traffic was moving and we could get a cab. Lesson: DRIVE to this stadium!

Visited August 2014
Greater Cincinnati
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“WOW what a stadium”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Amazing construction and catches your breath when you see it for the first time. Looking forward to attending a football game this season.

Visited July 2014
Columbia, South Carolina
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Good venue with updates”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

The stadium has been updated, but could still use some improvements. Sure this is not the NFL, but it is the home stadium to a high-caliber SEC football team. Improving the restrooms would go a long way to create a better fan experience.

Visited November 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Rude people, hot stadium”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

The fans were RUDE. We had on our visiting team colors UNC but were not loud or obnoxious. While we were walking from our car, people yelled obscenities, even though we had small children in the group.

We followed our band into the stadium, just to watch USC fans throw cans at the band! Once inside, we were abused the entire game.

For a team with such a terrible football history, I guess their fans have not yet learned how to gracefully accept a little success.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank Dennis B

Been to Williams-Brice Stadium? Share your experiences!