“Vegan In Heart Of Columbia”

Lamb's Bread Vegan Cafe
Ranked #48 of 975 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Caribbean
Description: This is located in downtown Columbia. It's good and I would like to review it here.
Augusta, Georgia
“Vegan In Heart Of Columbia”
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

This was my second visit to Lamb's Bread. First time I had the faux BBQ ribs with steamed kale. They were excellent and I felt very full. The decor is definitely different, but sort of fun. This latest visit I had the BLT sandwich. I am not sure I would recommend it again, did not hate it, but for the money would probably do the ribs again. I got the macaroni and cheese for my side with the BLT. The mac-n-cheese was delicious. It definitely tasted like a sinful comfort food. Will definitely go back.

1 Thank WicketSC

Redlands, California
“Fun Decor and Good Good-For-You Food”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We were driving from Savannah back to Charleston and were hungry, so we did a search on Yelp for vegan food and drove out of the way to go here. It was worth going out of the way for.

It is described in Trip Advisor as Caribbean. I was thinking it was African. One of the things I really enjoyed was the decor. It seemed like more space was devoted to decor than to tables and it was fun to walk around and enjoy it while we waited for our food (you order at a window and then they bring the food to your table). There are various weavings, like baskets and wall ornaments, carved animals, like giraffes, and a wall full of masks. Very fun.

My wife got a nice kale salad and I got a combination plate with various types of vegetables: red cabbage, collared greens, macaroni salad, squash and sweet potatoes with raisins and lima beans (the beans were a little hard). It was good and good for you. We ordered a couple of vegan cupcakes for dessert: cookies and cream and chocolate with walnut. Both were good.

If you're vegan, or even if not and just want some good for you food, this is a great stop.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Robert C
Williamston, Michigan
“AWESOME food and a lot of it!!”
Reviewed 23 December 2012

I went to Lamb's Bread and ordered a sampler--the owner found out I had never been there before and insisted on giving me a helping of just about everything on the menu that day! I walked out with two large styrofoam containers filled with AMAZING food for about $13! I would definitely recommend this place--it is worth finding, the food is delicious.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank AnneCody
Columbia, South Carolina
“Delicious vegan food in the heart of a meat-centric city”
Reviewed 29 January 2011

This restaurant is small and the exterior is pretty plain, inside the atmosphere is funky, with a lot of locally made art on the walls (much of it for sale) and an Afrocentric theme. The scent of incense and new-age or world music also help to set the scene.

When you enter you can order food at the counter, either to eat in (with table service) or carry out. Service is friendly and welcoming, but the staff is small so it can be a bit slow when the restaurant is busy. They typically have a couple of "faux-meat" or tofu options to choose from each day, along with a variety of vegetable side options. I have yet to to try something I didn't like in 3 years of going there. The collard greens are especially good, as is the sweet potato souffle.

It's a good value for the money--the lunch special is about $8 for either a protein ("faux-meat" or tofu) and 2 veggies or a plate of 4 veggies. Take out portions are especially generous--I can usually make 2 meals out of it!

Drink options include freshly squeezed juices and smoothies, teas and organic soft drinks (don't look for Coke or Pepsi!) There are also a variety of natural/organic health products available (which I have not tried out) including the prominently advertised cosmic colon cleanse...

Overall this place is a hidden gem of Columbia! Most people I talk with have no idea it's here, and it's got delicious, inexpensive and healthy food. Especially for those who don't eat meat, or don't eat much, it's a great option to keep in mind.

• Visited December 2010
4 Thank TuffTitty
COLUMBIA
“I'm not vegan, but I liked this restaurant a lot.”
Reviewed 2 July 2008

I'm not vegan, but I liked this restaurant a lot.

3 Thank PATRICIA F