“Just Like Home!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia
Ranked #13 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel on a recent trip to Columbia, SC. I decided to stay at this hotel due to its affordable price and its location. The hotel is just a few minutes away from I-26, the zoo and about five minutes away from downtown Columbia. There are a lot of positives to this hotel, the first being the staff. Everyone was very friendly. I had to ask for a duplicate key to my room and the gentleman at the front desk made sure to ask to see my I.D. before issuing the additional card. This was wonderful because I have stayed in many a place where I've had to get an additional key or a re-key and the person at the desk activated it with no I.D. This made me feel safe and safety is important when you are traveling as single women.

The hotel has a hot breakfast and although it varies day by day, it is a real hot breakfast and the only thing you have to cook yourself is a waffle, but the waffle iron is very easy to use.

The room was great. We had a full kitchen with a standard sized fridge/freezer, a full sized microwave, coffee maker, toaster, two-burner stove and sink. There was a separate living room, bedroom with two queen beds and a nice sized bathroom. My only complaint is that it was difficult to have two people at the bathroom at the same time. But we were in a handicapped accessible room, so other rooms may be different. But the room itself was very clean, the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The room had high ceilings, and although it was 100 degrees throughout the weekend, the air conditioning kept the room comfortable.

The only con that I can think of is that the hotel is not near any restaurants. Now this may not be a big deal because they have a managers reception from Monday - Thursday, but if you aren't staying during those days then you have to fend for yourself.

Overall it was a great stay and I will visit this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank blackwidowinsc
Becca S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2012

Thank you for your review. All of our staff have been trained in security measures to ensure our guests are safe. I so pleased to know you enjoyed our suites and all the amenities our hotel has to offer. We look forward to hosting you again, and thank you for taking the time to share with others about our hotel.

There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia

Reviewed 10 July 2012

The hotel staff made us feel very welcomed. The room was very updated, clean, and attractive. The complimentary breakfast staff and the manager's reception staff were very courteous and attentive. The breakfast had lots of options and my entire family of four was satisfied. In addition, the manager's reception included a full dinner!!! They had complimentary meatloaf, rolls, corn, potatoes, and salad. In addition, they served complimentary wine! They checked on us as soon as we finished our meal, and immediately picked up our dishes. They also refilled drinks. In addition, they made sure that there was always food available. It was like being in an all-inclusive hotel. The staff members and the amenities were absolutely WONDERFUL. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. I am pleased our food and beverage staff took excellent care of you and your family. Most people are surprised to find out we provide dinner and drinks four nights a week in addition to breakfast every day. Thank you again for your time, and we hope to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to Columbia SC.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

We love Homewoods - I have never been disappointed by one before. I guess there is a first for everything.

At check in, we were told all adults would need to sign a "no party" agreement. I have never seen this before. This hotel is located in between two car dealers, and I did not see a bar or restaurant around anywhere. I can't imagine anything but age discrimination since we had a young man with us old grandmas.

Next - the room had formerly operable windows which had been roughly screwed in to make them inoperable. Not only was this unsightly, but one side only had one screw, which a previous guest had pried loose. The window did open, and widely, so I had to worry about that all night, that some little child would discover it and fall out on the pavement. Wouldn't it make more sense to put the screw in about 2 inches up so there could be air circulation, like the other chain of high class extended stay hotels has?

Which brings me to - the room smelled. Some maid took it upon herself to spray everything in the rooms with a high powered stinky "odorizer." I tried running the fan over the stove top, but that was not connected to an outside vent and just spewed additional smells.

We thought we should just go down to the pool and relax there. Did you know that pools have to have inspections and licenses? Friends of friends lost a child to a pool spread e coli, so I always check. This one was expired. I did not see any posting of recent test results, either. I would not even test the water with my toe. One of my traveling companions noticed how the water was cloudy at one end, and decided I was right and also did not get in. Then G. decided she would prove us wrong, and got out when she felt the bottom.

We left early in the morning, glad we would not be back. We have stayed at a sister property at Lake Harbin, and it was many times better, and cheaper to boot.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Corn&Beans

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate the opportunity to address some points you made. Because we do not discriminate, we ask everyone at check in to sign the no-party policy. It is standard procedure to ensure all our guests enjoy quiet accommodations while they are here. Thank you, too, for letting us know about the window. Because you brought this to our attention, we were able to re-secure it. I apologize for the overspray of room freshener. Again, your comments help us to be better. We have addressed this with our suitekeeping staff to ensure our suites smell clean and fresh, not perfumed. The last point was with regard to the stickers indicating inspections. DHEC no longer issues stickers to indicate their inspections. Instead, we have documents showing when the pool was inspected. Our guests' safety is a priority of ours, and proper pool maintenance is maintained here. Not only do we have a third party who thoroughly cleans and checks chemical three times a week, but also our engineering staff checks the pool and spa chemicals daily. We maintain high standards with all of our guest amenities.

Again, thank you for your comments. You are most welcome to contact me personally should you have any questions at all.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

We had prepaid for our reservations two weeks in advance to take advantage of ther Getaway discount. At the time when we made our online reservations, it was "Required" to pay in advance. When we arrived at the hotel, the staff was friendly and the room was clean and comfortable. When check-in we were required to use a form of payment to secure any other charges or for any accidental damages. Little did we know that they had charged us an additional $150 for the same reservation. We had already paid $130 two weeks in advance. After speaking to the front desk representative they informed that it did not appear in their system as we had paid in advance, but informed me that it will be corrected. The next morning, another front desk rep. had asked me which credit card we wanted to us to pay for our reservation and once again had to explain the whole situation. After a 24 hours of our check out time, we logged in to our bank accounts and found that we were charged 3 times for this one night reservation. Very unhappy witht their system and incovenience!

Room Tip: Hotel is not close to any restaurants.
9  Thank Lima P

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I certainly apologize that your account was over-authorized, and that you had to explain everything that should have just been automatic. This has been addressed to the staff, and thank you for your comments. Your taking the time to let us know shows us how to be better. Please feel free to contact me personally, and thank you once again.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

The rooms are spacious and the bed is comfortable. Our room had a fully equipped kitchen and a door to separate the bedroom from the living room area - which turned out to be a great feature for us. Breakfast was pretty good, waffles, etc. Staff was very friendly. The location of this hotel is a half mile off of the exit (I 26) and while there are no restaurants in the immediate area, it is only one exit down from downtown Columbia, and there are plenty of places to eat within a 10 minute drive. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the amenities of our hotel. Many people are happily surprised to find that all of our suites have the fully equipped kitchen and plenty of room to stretch out and relax. We certainly look forward to your next visit here.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

Everything was great. There are not a lot of restaurants in the immediate area so plan accordingly. The room was spotless. The hotel was well-staffed and the people were very pleasant

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

I know everyone's time is valuable, so thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel. We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Ok hotel but flaws. No wifi which is a real downer. Amed for smoke free room but someone had smoked in room. No other rooms available so stuck.
Breakfast simple

Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Ifmpeb
Becca S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Dear Ifmpeb,

Thank you for your valuable feedback about your stay with us. It is important to us that our guests have an enjoyable stay and apologize for the issues you had with our free internet service and non smoking room. Smoking is only allowed in our smoking suites that are located in a designated area. It Is unfortunate to learn someone may have smoked in a non-smoking room. I appreciate you bringing that to our attention so it can be addressed. We look forward to your next visit us!

Warmest regards,