“DO NOT STAY HERE”

Ranked #12 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Greenville, South Carolina
“DO NOT STAY HERE”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Will never stay here again. I should've listened to the POOR google reviews about how terrible BECCA [---] is as a manager. She will overcharge her guests or not give refunds as promised. The management staff is very unprofessional. Every Hilton hotel has been exceptionally managed except this one. Our credit cards were FRAUDULENTLY charged for more than $500 AFTER CHECK-OUT without any explanation, but the manager would not return any of our phone calls. Finally after calling a number of times and requesting Corporate's number, she spoke with a guest in my party but RUDELY hung up the phone on her. Not one person in my party was rude or disrespectful. This issue will be taken further.

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank smtluvu99
Becca S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
I appreciate your feedback about your stay. I'm very sorry that you experienced a poor service experience, here at our hotel and regret that your concerns have gone unresolved. We always strive to ensure our guests are cared for, valued, and respected and can assure you that your situation is not typical. I will be in contact with you shortly to follow up.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Hobe Sound, United States
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Great stay with the best breakfast and friendly staff!! The hot tub was 104 degrees, just perfect!! Well equipped kitchen. They cleaned my room every day while I was there for a week on business. I plan to return for another stay over the next couple of months.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Becca S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
We are so delighted to hear that you had such a great time here at our hotel! Our staff always works to provide our guests with a great, genuine experience here with us and we are all glad that we would provide top notch service to you during your stay!

We all look forward to seeing your upon your return!
Columbia, United States
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Accommodations are very clean and pleasant. Having a one bedroom suite is ideal for family and/or long stay. Staff provides exceptional and friendly service. Meals are not gourmet, but tasty and varied. Manager's reception is nice extra bonus after a long trip and/or day of work.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

We here at Homewood Suites love hearing about our guests' experience and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here with us! Like yourself, many enjoy the idea of having a spacious bedroom area, living room, and fully equipped kitchen if they are here for an extended period of time. Additionally the Suite Start breakfast and Manager's Welcome Home Reception give a great start to any morning or evening.

Thanks for staying and we hope you choose us again!
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The hotel has a central location, beautiful "like new" interior lobby and rooms, very clean with excellent service. Breakfast was hearty or light as you prefer and very good quality. I don't usually eat breakfast but it smelled so good I had quiche and hash browns! I would not only stay here again but I would recommend this hotel to others.

1 Thank 739amandar
Becca S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for you compliments on the appearance of our hotel! We work diligently renovating the property to make sure that we provide a nice, clean, and welcoming environment for our guest. It is also a pleasure to here that you enjoyed the complimentary Suite Start Breakfast. There is nothing like a friendly face and a good meal to start off a great morning!

We hope to see you next time you're in the area!
Beckley, West Virginia
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I had a wonderful visit as the hotel exceeded my expectations. This was my first stay a Homewood Suites. My room was very nice as I enjoyed the large size including the full kitchen. The friendliness and professionalism of the staff is what I remember the most. I may get some of the names wrong as all of the staff I encountered was concerned and helpful. Howard or Howie at the front desk just made me feel right at home during my check in. My stay was close to a week and I saw Howie on several occasions. Each time he was upbeat and wanted to ensure I had everything I needed. There is also Sandra, Shawn and I believe Betty who went out of their way to may sure I was treated as a valuable customer, when I went to have my meals. I was surprised at the quality of meals that the hotel provided. I am sure that I will visit the Columbia, SC area again in the near future. I already know that my first choice of hotels to stay in is the Homewood Suites, Columbia, SC. This property comes highly recommended as I will pass that message on to anyone I know that will be visiting the Columbia, SC area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Becca S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
It is certainly a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay here at Homewood Suites. Each and every one of our staff members will definitely appreciate the kind words that you had to offer. It definitely warms them to know that all of their efforts to make our guests feel at home are truly appreciated. We look forward to seeing you next time you're in the area!
Bellevue, Nebraska
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed at this property for just one night with my three daughters.

We had a one bedroom suite with two beds. The room was very spacious and more than enough space for the four of us. The living room also has a sleeper sofa so that was nice as well. I thought the room was very clean and comfortable. Having the kitchen is helpful when travelling with children. The one odd thing is that there were only three towel sets in the room when it sleeps at least four people and I made a reservation for four people. This is a pet peeve of mine and I never understand it. To be fair, this isn't the only hotel I encountered who did this.

I'm sorry I didn't write down the name of the lady who checked us in, but she was very nice and helpful. This was 3/15 around 1930-200 if management wants to recognize her. She checked us in quickly and engaged in funny conversation with us. She was also really good with giving restaurant recommendations.

I asked the lady at check in about a late check out the next day (family wasn't coming in until later in the afternoon), and she advised to call down the next morning. I called the next morning and Claire said they had given out all of the late check outs. I asked when as I was calling during the time advised. I get that they can't give everyone a late checkout and I also get that it has to be limited so that the room can be ready for the next guest. However, if I ask the day prior and am told to call the next morning, there should be a reasonable consideration to this. I got up as early as I could, considering where I live is three hours earlier than SC, just to ask. Claire did call me back and agreed to 30 additional minutes after speaking with housekeeping again.

I think there should probably be a better method of managing late check out requests. Perhaps there could be a list at the front desk of those requesting the late check out and then housekeeping can decide how many they can accommodate, in order of those who asked. Just a suggestion.

The other thing that bothered me, and not completely the hotel's fault, is the extreme amount of noise. There was some sort of party or get together in the room next to us and the young people were loud into the late night/early morning hours. It seems that the walls may be a little on the thin side as I could hear casual conversation from guests.

That would've been alright, except the next morning, there were children running up and down the halls. They were screaming and playing very early. This is poor parenting, for sure, and I could hear the housekeeper warning the children to stop. I think that management should have addressed the issue directly with the parents or caregivers in consideration of other guests' comfort. If it was bad enough for housekeeping to warn them, management should intercede. I did let Claire at the front desk know about it and she said she would have it taken care of. I have no reason to doubt her word.

It was too bad about the noise on different occasions as I didn't get a good night's rest. Overall, my impression was that the staff is the highlight here at this location. That's a good thing and speaks highly of them as individuals and management. I would hope that the issues I encountered aren't the usual.

Zoo was right down the street and a nice place to visit if staying here on a nice day.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Tahnk you so very much for taking the time to provide us feedback regarding your stay. I am so very sorry the noise from the children disturbed your rest. I certainly would feel the way you do! I also appreciate your suggestions regarding late check outs. I will take this to my Director of Operatioins. You are doing us a great service by your candor and suggestions. We strive to be the best hotel, and the information you have provided will make us better!

Should your travels bring you back to the Columbia area, we would certainly welcome the opprtunity to show how well we can do!
Cincinnati
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

First the good: nice front desk staff. Spacious, clean, fresh rooms. Towels were super soft and surprisingly luxurious.
But there was a lot of not-so-good:
- the squeekiest, loudest luggage cart in the world I think. I must have awoken all of the people in the rooms on the one side of the first floor and half of my floor. My gosh that was clownishly loud. WD40 maybe?! Why didn't they just replace or fix it?
- mattress was below average... Hard.
- whistle from a freight train woke me up in the middle of the night.
- the hotel is surrounded on both sides by extremely brightly illuminated car sales lots. The light that shined around the side of the drapes into the bedroom at 2am were so bright, I thought it was morning.
- paper products poor... I found the toilet paper and facial tissues to be of low quality - felt cheap, thin and rough to me.
- ultra compact hair drier was so short the intake sucked in my wife's medium length hair. We had to cut it off to get it off of her hair.
- I thought many of the cable channels were blank... It takes that long for the signal to actually come through on the screen when you dial in a channel. Slooooow cable service.

All in all, the bad out weighed the good. I don't see how this was the #8 hotel on tripadvisor for Columbia! We will try a different hotel next time we are in town.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks so much for your feedback on your stay here with us. I am glad that the friendly staff and clean rooms were among your favorites. We certainly apologize for anything that inconvenienced you during you stay here. If there is anything we can do for you if you do choose to let us accommodate you again, please let us know!