“Best BBQ Sandwich in Columbia! ”
Review of Southern Belly BBQ

Southern Belly BBQ
Ranked #10 of 998 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

Even with only eight sandwiches to choose from it's still a tough decision to pick just one. They even make it easier on you by only having homemade chips and cole slaw as the sides. I went there for lunch today with a few friends and as soon as we walked in I got a good feeling. The atmosphere is very welcoming. The music was awesome (Jackson Browne, Otis Redding, Billy Paul, Ray Charles etc.). I halfway expected to walk out to a beach sunset view when we left. The service was great and the servers were nice and would talk to you without seeming preoccupied.

The food was phenomenal! I recommend the D'jango. They even put their our twist on the ketchup that gives it a very unique and good flavor. I will definitely be going back and next time I'm going to try the King Kahuna sandwich. I also recommend the sweet tea!

The only negative I have is the parking can get a little tight but that's not that big of a deal.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

It's easy to miss the southern belly, don't, it's well worth stopping in. The menu is small but the barbecue sandwiches are great. I would like a spicier sauce available but that's ok. Best service I have ever had in Columbia, 5 minutes from order to food on the table - unheard of in this town. Decor inside is cool an there is a little outdoor seating area
Only 1 complaint- GET DRAFT BEER !!

Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

The Southern Belly is a delicious, down-home sort of place at the back of the University of South Carolina campus. Its location is a bit on the industrial, seedy side but I didn't feel unsafe at any point during my visit.

The menu has an interesting variety of BBQ sandwiches and I appreciated the creativity behind it. There were also plenty of sauces to choose from and being a South Carolina visitor, I definitely went with the Midas, which is mustard-based.

The traditional sandwich was amazing, with BBQ that fell apart--in a good way! The sweet tea was tasty and although I wasn't sure I'd appreciate the vinegar-based cole slaw, I quickly learned to love it. My only complaint was that I'm pretty sure that I was eating Lays potato chips with my meal. This took the authenticity down just a notch.

Friendly service, congenial atmosphere with Bo Diddley on the stereo and tasty BBQ filling me up: this Southern Belly appreciates Columbia's Southern Belly.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Best in town, and best I've personally ever had. The quality of the BBQ itself is top notch, but the sauces (there are a handful to choose from) really put everything over the top. I'm a big fan of each sauce I've sampled so far. Can't wait to get some of this Q and sauce for tailgating season!

The sandwiches are so good that I could not resist going twice in one week. Once for lunch, once for dinner. I had the D'Jango and the Avita (I regret not taking pictures :( ), both huge and delicious in their on right, you wont leave hungry.

Service was great and the atmosphere and decor is really interesting and "homey", feels like a place you want to continually come back to.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We tried this place after reading the reviews here - delish!! My husband had the Southern Belly with the Rebel Sauce and I had the Hawaiian Kahuna - never would I have put those ingredients together but so glad they did. We will be back for more!

1  Thank Kay C

Been to Southern Belly BBQ? Share your experiences!