“Very Good but make sure you eat Inside”

Motor Supply Co. Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Motor Supply Co. Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 996 Restaurants in Columbia
Price range: US$18 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Park and Lincoln Sts.
Transit: There are several transit stops throughout the vista and downtown area, one of which is located half a block away from us. Taxis are also readily available.
Description: Located in the historic Congaree Vista with a heated patio and free valet parking, Motor Supply has been serving progressive, New World cuisine using classic French culinary techniques for over 20 years. Led by Executive Chef Wesley Fulmer, the kitchen's lunch, dinner and brunch handwritten menus change daily, featuring contemporary New American cuisine, with nods to Creole, Cajun, New Southern, French, Italian and Asian cuisine. We are Columbia's foremost "farm to fork" restaurant, working with local, sustainable farms for produce, meats, SC seafood and more. Seafood is caught off of the Carolina coast, and all of our stocks, sauces and desserts are made on site, including our charcuterie, with house-made sausages, bacon, country pate, and rillettes, all the way down to the pickles and mustard. Our early 19th century, solid-oak bar with marble columns, imported from Europe, serves 180+ fine wines (Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence, 2006-12), an extensive list of imported, domestic and local craft beers, as well as an artisan farm-to-shaker cocktail list made from house-infused liquors, handmade bitters, barrel-aged spirits and locally-sourced ingredients and garnishes.
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The food was hot and tasty, the portions were a good size and the drinks are strong! Your water glass never was empty, the service was very good and friendly. They have an outside patio with outside heaters..the only problem is there is a techno night club right next door and the cars parking and people goig to the club can be noisy. This doesnt make for a relaxing enjoyable dinner and conversation. So request a table inside where it is very comfortable and has a homey feel.This area of Columbia has changed since I was last there in the late 90's especially since I was at USC in the late 70's. The restaurant is near what used the be the old Amtrack station in Columbia and used to be a kind of run down area back in the day. Well not anymore its a nightly hotspot, good for Columbia and Go GameCocks!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

My husband and I stopped at this restaurant for lunch before heading back to Myrtle Beach. We only picked it based on the fact that it had parking included and we had no change for the meters associated with other places. This turned out to be a delightful surprise! the atmosphere is cozy with a great artsy vibe. Service was timely and very friendly. The menu is not ridiculously long like some places and the couple of options were difficult to choose from because they all sounded great. My husband tried the chili which was very hearty and had just enough spice. For our main course my husband ordered the quail which was served with sweet mashed potatoes, and green beans. I ordered the shrimp with jasmine rice and green beans. Both were equally delicious and satisfying. Next time we visit Columbia we will definitely make another stop here!

1  Thank Rothrock5913
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The food at this overpriced restaurant was very disappointing. The "lamb" in my lamb and pork saddle with shitake mushrooms was very tough and the dish was very bland and tasteless. My wife's halibut dish was better, but was somewhat unimaginative for a restaurant that gets rave reviews for creativity. The meal was definitely not worth the high prices.

2  Thank lovetheworld53
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We were in Columbia for a week and did a nice tour of the restaurants near the Capitol. Motor Supply was by far the best, at least for me. The menu changes daily, but I had a porterhouse porkchop with stoneground mustard gravy (over grits) which was just phenomenal. I asked for (and got!) the recipe (sans exact amounts of each item), so thanks and will definitely try this at home. The service was great and a nice wine list topped of the evening. My partners meal was also great (flat ribs), but not as over the top as mine. Will be back to try dessert next time I am in Columbia.

1  Thank mrwardell
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We ate at the Motor Supply Co this weekend during the USC Parent's weekend. Despite being 30 minutes early for our reservation on a very busy weekend, we were able to be seated right away. The food was outstanding and the service was friendly and efficient. The tempura lobster and the flat rib steak were excellent. Prices were high, but the quality was great.

1  Thank lisa b