“Usually Good”

Motor Supply Co. Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Motor Supply Co. Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 973 Restaurants in Columbia
Price range: US$18 - US$35
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Park and Lincoln Sts.
Transit: There are several transit stops throughout the vista and downtown area, one of which is located half a block away from us. Taxis are also readily available.
Description: Located in the historic Congaree Vista with a heated patio and free valet parking, Motor Supply has been serving progressive, New World cuisine using classic French culinary techniques for over 20 years. Led by Executive Chef Wesley Fulmer, the kitchen's lunch, dinner and brunch handwritten menus change daily, featuring contemporary New American cuisine, with nods to Creole, Cajun, New Southern, French, Italian and Asian cuisine. We are Columbia's foremost "farm to fork" restaurant, working with local, sustainable farms for produce, meats, SC seafood and more. Seafood is caught off of the Carolina coast, and all of our stocks, sauces and desserts are made on site, including our charcuterie, with house-made sausages, bacon, country pate, and rillettes, all the way down to the pickles and mustard. Our early 19th century, solid-oak bar with marble columns, imported from Europe, serves 180+ fine wines (Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence, 2006-12), an extensive list of imported, domestic and local craft beers, as well as an artisan farm-to-shaker cocktail list made from house-infused liquors, handmade bitters, barrel-aged spirits and locally-sourced ingredients and garnishes.
Columbia, South Carolina
“Usually Good”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My wife and I have eaten at Motor Supply several times over the years, usually for Sunday Brunch. We've always enjoyed our meals there. We recently met friends for dinner. I ordered the quail appetizer as an entree and was a little disappointed in the spiciness of the sauce on the birds. Quail has a wonderful flavor naturally and I felt the sauce was too hot and overpowered the flavor of the birds. My wife ordered the pork loin which she said was very good. All in all a unique and good place to eat.

• Visited December 2013

Strasbourg, France
“Rotating menu, Great for special occassions”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Went here for my birthday, following some recommendations. We sat outside on the back patio. It was so lovely! The food was really special; nice presentation and even nicer tastes!

I went back on a business lunch, and it did not disappoint!!

• Visited January 2013
Morristown, NJ
“Always Outstanding”
Reviewed 17 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I always enjoy coming to Columbia for nothing else than to eat at this restaurant. The food is innovative and tasty and the wine list interesting. What I need when I travel.

Visited December 2013
Columbia, South Carolina
“High Standards for Fine Food”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I've eaten lunch at Motor Supply many times over the years and don't ever remember having a bad meal there. Interesting food. Local food. Creative options. Reasonably priced. Excellent service.

• Visited October 2013
Raleigh, NC
“I know I'm supposed to like this place, but it just wasn't up to par.”
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

We arrived around 7pm on a Wednesday with no reservation. We were told we'd need to wait although there were several empty tables that remained empty the whole time we were there.
We sat at the bar to wait, and had nice drinks. Loved the wood-carved bar and watching the bartender swirl flames to make what looked like excellent cocktails. We had some wine and apps, and enjoyed the conversation.
Mid-appetizer, the hostess said "Your table is ready." When we got up, we took our wine, and left the apps, assuming the server or hostess would bring them as we were clearly still eating them. Well, no one did! We ended up going to get them from the bar as a man was about to sit down and eat the mussels! I found that to be very rude and off-putting. After that wait and ordering the food, the very least they could do was serve it to us. And it wasn't like it was mostly gone. There was a full cheese plate that hadn't yet been touched!
The rest of the meal was fine, and the service generally indifferent. I won't be back, even though everyone raves about this place.

Visited December 2013
Eddie W, General Manager at Motor Supply Co. Bistro, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
We apologize for your experience dining with us here at Motor Supply Company. Any lack of attentiveness was certainly not intended. We thank you for choosing us to have your meal that evening, as we know you have many options when visiting Columbia.

MSC