“Great choice for dinner”

Motor Supply Co. Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Motor Supply Co. Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 981 Restaurants in Columbia
Price range: US$18 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Park and Lincoln Sts.
Transit: There are several transit stops throughout the vista and downtown area, one of which is located half a block away from us. Taxis are also readily available.
Description: Located in the historic Congaree Vista with a heated patio and free valet parking, Motor Supply has been serving progressive, New World cuisine using classic French culinary techniques for over 20 years. Led by Executive Chef Wesley Fulmer, the kitchen's lunch, dinner and brunch handwritten menus change daily, featuring contemporary New American cuisine, with nods to Creole, Cajun, New Southern, French, Italian and Asian cuisine. We are Columbia's foremost "farm to fork" restaurant, working with local, sustainable farms for produce, meats, SC seafood and more. Seafood is caught off of the Carolina coast, and all of our stocks, sauces and desserts are made on site, including our charcuterie, with house-made sausages, bacon, country pate, and rillettes, all the way down to the pickles and mustard. Our early 19th century, solid-oak bar with marble columns, imported from Europe, serves 180+ fine wines (Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence, 2006-12), an extensive list of imported, domestic and local craft beers, as well as an artisan farm-to-shaker cocktail list made from house-infused liquors, handmade bitters, barrel-aged spirits and locally-sourced ingredients and garnishes.
“Great choice for dinner”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The staff at our hotel recommended this restaurant so we looked it up on Trip Advisor and saw the good reviews, so we took a chance. It's a nice spot and they had a hand-written menu that evidently changes daily. The service was great and the food was very good as well. I can see why the locals recommend it.

Visited August 2014

chicago
“Worth the wait!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I've been to this neighborhood three times since November and have wanted to go here but my daughter is a picky eater. My husband and I, on the other hand, are food snobs from Chicago. We finally got to go here for lunch and we got a shrimp and andouille sausage with grits that was to die for! I took pictures. Their menu changes daily and they use the freshest ingredients. I never understood when people wrote about how they can taste how fresh the ingredients are but now I do! I can't wait to go back again. Next time for dinner. My daughter will be there for 4 yrs. and I can guarantee I'm going there every time I'm in town! Yum!! Not to mention the decor and friendliness of the staff and owners.

• Visited August 2014
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were in Columbia visiting our daughter who attends USC. Turns out that every time I come to Columbia, this is the restaurant that I want to go to from reading about it, but we are always to late because it is too full. But this time I tried harder to go, called up and they were able to get us a 9:00 reservation. It was very much with it. It is billed as the best farm to table restaurant with a great and unique bar service. It turned out to be both. We got there at 9:00 but the table was not yet ready so we went to the bar area and asked the bartender to give my wife and 21 year old daughter his favorite red Pinot an do make me a cool, non-sweet darker drink with bourbon or other dark liqueur. The wine was so smooth and so good, I made a note of it so I could find it again. Planet Oregon Pinot noir, wills mettle valley, 2011/2012. The drink he made me was also excellent! When we were seated we found our waitress to be excellent, friendly and perfectly friendly and attentive, not too little and not too much. She gave us excellent recommendations. We decided to get a bunch of appetizers, a salad and the shrimp and grits meal for the 3 of us. Everything we had was excellent, but two items stick out the most, the tomato appetizer and the shrimp and grits. I am not sure how they made the tomatoes so perfect, but I loved them. As for the shrimp and grits, I must simply say wow! And I have rarely ordered this before. The flavor and textures were incredible. We got the chocolate and peanut butter desert, it was very good. The only thing I can say that was not exceptional about the meal was the mediocre coffee, but hey, I went to a farm to table food joint and not a coffee house. This place gets the two big thing thumbs up!

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Lunch Stop Passing through - Where the Locals Eat”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Traveling from Knoxville to Sea Island, GA this Columbia, SC stop is about half way there and a great place for lunch options. But who wants McDonald's when just a short drive off the highway is this quaint Bistro!

You will have to wait just a few minutes for a table (no reservations taken at lunch) since this is where the locals do their business and other lunches. Their is a unique shop full of art and artisian jewelry you can browse if you do not wish to be idle. The Bistro also has art on its walls and the menu changes daily based on seasonal availability. It is a great menu for people concerned with what they put in their bodies or for foodies. I had a quail salad which was very very good. It was only my second time to eat quail. I liked the preparation of this quail better than a famous place called Mustards located in wine country area of California. My husband had a prime rib sandwich which he indicated was made with quality beef and he ate every last bit of it (which is a good indicator that it was in fact delicious too). Pricing was reasonable and the value matched. We will stop again on our way through.

Note: Staff was friendly and even advised us to stay and join them at the local Tomato Festival where they would have a tasting booth. This was the third weekend of July if you are interested.

• Visited July 2014
Thank Ms.LoveTravel
Columbia, SC
“Add it to the list.”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Been to Motor Supply many times, but not recently. Always enjoyed dinner there but with there new chef and focus on local sourcing it was even better. Excellent cocktails, great wine list, super appetizers, very good entrées and tasty desserts--although not large or unusually selection of dessert. Service was excellent and valet parking convenient. Columbia is some really fine restaurants and Motor Supply is on this list for me.

• Visited July 2014