“Not clean bad service”

Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Awarded Best Salad, 17 years running -Free Times reader survey, 2017 & The State, 2017 and Best Business Lunch -The State, 2017; Best Restaurant to Take a Date and Restaurant to Take your Parents -The Daily Gamecock, 2016. Enjoy giant-sized fare from the California Dreaming kitchen; start with the Barbecue Chicken Nachos, then slow-cooked Prime Rib or a hearty pasta dish. The restaurant also features large party catering, online ordering for carry-out, live music and seasonal patio dining. Attn USC students: CarolinaCard accepted! The historic landmark building, Union Station, is located steps away from USC.
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I am 35 years old and grew up in Columbia. Many of my family and friends have eaten here and sing there praises. My grandmother turned 79 today so we decided to surprise her with a late lunch at this restaurant. When we were seated our table cloth was filthy!! I was so angry because the hostess actually laid menus and utensils on a clearly dirty table. I went to the manager. He was quick to get help and have the table cloths replaced. The silly hostess brought an even dirtier one. The manager said a few words to her and got us new ones. The second issue was the tiny plates were covered in food. One had melted cheese one the other plate had honey mustard. My 4 year old daughter was grossed out and asked for a napkin to place her roll on.
At this point we spoke to the manager again. We explained how disappointed we were in the cleanliness and service of this place. He apologized again assisted our waitress the rest of the time.
I will most likely never go back. The food was plated beautifully but the taste was not that great. I can only imagine what the kitchen looks like if the tables have visible spills and stains.

Thank Yolanda S. L

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Within easy walking distance of USC this place feels like being in another area. The large windows look out on a grassy knoll while the 2 bars keep the place lively. Food was decent and not overpriced. Good pulled pork sandwich. I will be back.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This will be a unique review. We had dinner here while visiting USC. The atmosphere was fine, the food was fine, the place was busy on a Sunday night which should say something.

I have to comment on our waiter. The shirt he was wearing was white, long sleeved, buttoned down. Dressy. And stained. Very stained. Everywhere. It was disgusting. I'm sure it was clean (maybe) but there were stains on the sleeves, on the front, on the sides, everywhere. Time for a new shirt? Let me just say that someone with this sense of personal cleanliness is not someone I wanted handling my food. Management had to see this??? You show up to work like this you get sent home - or get fired! I won't say the waiters name but there was an actor whose last name was Hoffman who had the same first name.

1  Thank Bankguy1961
CA_Centraarchy, Public Relations Manager at California Dreaming Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

We don’t always succeed, and we appreciate your feedback. Thanks for visiting.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We recently at dinner at California Dreaming in Columbia. Service was excellent, food was good, restaurant was clean. Manager even came by to check and make sure that everything was okay. The atmosphere is great also (this used to be an old train station that was refurnished). I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Located in a beautiful building, but was disappointed inside. It was a Sunday afternoon... many servers in the restaurant. We were led to a booth, where my seat had a 1 1/2 foot rip in the seat cover. The order was for a Chipotle Chicken wrap, which was very good, chicken strips and Hot Vegetable salad - way too much dressing, which dominated the taste. My wife had to use the restroom which smelled heavily with cigarette smoke. Definitely could have been better.

CA_Centraarchy, Public Relations Manager at California Dreaming Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Hi Jamie, Thanks for the accolades on the chipotle chicken wrap and chicken strips. As for the hot vegetable salad, the fresh vegetables are sauteed in white wine and a hint of butter, this may have been the cause of too much liquid in your salad. Thank you for visiting, we look forward to serving you again soon.