“Always Consistently Good.”

Gourmet Shop Cafe
Ranked #35 of 965 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Columbia, South Carolina
“Always Consistently Good.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

A trip to the Gourmet Shop is always an experience of casual enjoyment with great wait staff and an easy, but wonderful experience and meal.

Visited August 2013

Lexington, South Carolina
“Consistently good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

The Gourmet Shop has consistently good food, both dine-in and to go. When I am too busy to sit and eat I buy a croissant and either chicken, tuna or egg salad and make my sandwich later. It is best to get there before 12 noon or after 2pm as it gets very busy during the lunch break and you may have to wait for a few minutes. The shop also offers internationally popular food items, an extensive array of wine, and kitchen equipment. This is a lovely little place tucked away in 5-points. Make sure you have quarters for the meter!

Visited October 2013
Princeton, New Jersey
“Fresh and Delicious Brunch at a Reasonable Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

We came hear for brunch on a busy Sunday morning during USC parents weekend. The wait was long but we were able to wander around the retail shop that features uniques gourmet foods and cooking utensils, which I found interesting. My husband and kids entertained themselves by picking on the free food samples on display in the store. When we were seated the server was friendly and knowledgeable. We ordered a variety of breakfast and lunch items -- everything from southern style sausage and grits, to a buttery flaky croissant egg breakfast sandwich served with fresh fruit salad to chicken salad sandwich served with tomatoe soup. Each dish was about $8. While the wait to be seated was long, once we sat and ordered the food was served quickly. All items were made with excellent quality ingredients that were fresh and delicious. I requested ketchup for my egg sandwich but they don't serve ketchup in the restaurant. As an alternate the server brought me a side of their house special "condimento". It was amazing! It was a thick, spicy, tomatoe spread that was out of this world. I am craving it as I write. Next time in SC I will go to the restaurant just for the condimento!

• Visited October 2013
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
“Decent Lunch, average service...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stopped here for an early lunch on a very busy Sunday morning in early October. Had never been here before this visit and was surprised how crowded it was. My party of two waited about 15 minutes for a table and was given one of those buzzing pagers to let us know when they were ready for us. When were were seated, the service wasn't the best, maybe they were understaffed, maybe they weren't motivated, who knows. Our drinks (coffee and soda) took about 10 minutes to get back to us and when I asked the waitress a question about the sides, she was less than thrilled to explain where they were listed on the menu to me (sorry, first time here!). I ordered the Turkey Pesto on French Bread with a side of Potato Salad. The sandwich was decent, but the potato salad was very good. The cafe is located in a shop which sells all sorts of cooking gadgets as well as a wine store. I'd probably try this place again the next time I'm in Columbia, but I'd probably pick a different time of day, because I think the crowd may have affected the service.

• Visited October 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

I had a breakfast panini with eggs, bacon and red peppers and a side of cheese grits. Delicious! Hubby had a bowl of grits with sausage and eggs and loved it. A little pricey but service was fast and friendly and the food was tasty. Easy walk from campus.

• Visited August 2013