“Boney McCramped”
Review of Blue Marlin

Blue Marlin
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Marlin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 974 Restaurants in Columbia
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
“Boney McCramped”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This restaurant was recommended by someone in the Columbia area and because we were a party of six I made a reservation two weeks out on Open Table. The day before my reservation the restaurant called me to see if I could move my 7 PM reservation to either 6:15 or 9. I agreed to move to 6:30 to help them out of a jam and to make sure we got a decent table. We were seated in a large booth, but we were a group of six grown men and had to move one of us to a chair at the end of the booth's table - haven't done this since a Denny's back in the 90s. Across the way a group of eight was crammed into a table that would have been nice for six.

Most of the food was good, but two dishes were served with cold scallops on top of cooked salmon - this didn't taste right. My dish, which was the crab stuffed flounder had so many bones in it I couldn't finish it. I was not asked why I didn't finish the meal or if I liked it, and I regret not telling the waiter about it.

Overall I would say that if you are looking for a dinner on a slow night, not for a special occasion, this place would be okay. My friends loved the gumbo and shrimp and grits. The staff blamed the seating and scheduling issues on them being so busy. In my opinion it would have been better to provide some of us with great service rather than try to cash in on all of us with poor service.

• Korean first
Cary, North Carolina
“Average-to-good food, excellent service”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We ate at the Blue Marlin yesterday for brunch - this was our first time at the restaurant. Our service was outstanding; friendly, prompt & courteous. The food was good and nicely seasoned; however the gumbo could stand to have more shrimp in it (had more sausage than shrimp). The she crab soup was delicious and the crab cake was good; however I did not care for the rice served with the crab cake. Overall I would return, but I was not overwhelmed and awed. I was expecting food of the same quality as the Motor Supply Company Bistro, and was disappointed with the Blue Marlin from that perspective.

• Visited November 2013
“For home cooking stay home!”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The restaurant was fine! Food was adequate, atmosphere (not much), price too high for mediocrity! I always say, if you can cook it as well or better at home, then stay at home! Don't like to pay elevated prices for food that I can cook!

Baltimore, Maryland
“Great dinner, ok service”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We loved the food but not our waiter! I had scallops and my husband had a surf and turf special, which was amazing but probably slightly overpriced. We were really impressed by the appetizers and the bartender that served us while we were waiting for a table but of course now I can't remember her name! I know our server was Brian though and while the restraunt was busy when we went (a Friday night of course) there was not a great reason for why we had to ask him for different things over and over. I honestly think he forgot about taking our meal order too, we were done with appetizers and waiting for a good 10-15 minutes while he walked past us three times before finally (i think) realizing we hadn't placed our dinner order yet. Total time eating was over 2 hours! The food was worth the wait in the end though :)

“Terrible service!”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Went on 11/09/13, for my friends birthday and the service was terrible! We were a party of 5, our disrespectful waitress was Kelsey, never bought out bread, took 45min to refill drinks and never bought out the appetizer from one of our people. She vanishes for for 45min and when was told about the missing appetizer she just said "I don't know what happened". Manager was just as unapologetic as the waitress. People save your money and visit one of the great restaurants near by! Will never return!