“Saltimbocca at last!! I thought I'd never see it again and worth the wait!”

Villa Tronco Italian Restaurant
Ranked #70 of 1,004 Restaurants in Columbia
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Have been in SC for 9 years and this is the first time I have find any Italian restaurant that even will attempt veal saltimbocca or rollitina but on a business trip to Columbia one of the members of our group was familiar with Villa Tronco and suggested we try it. When I discovered veal saltimbocca on the menu I hardly noticed the great service, fine selection of wines, super side dishes or the personalized visit from the owner. I was too busy stuffing my face with my favorite dish done to close to perfection (only the layer of cheese on top as you would a parmagian dish instead marred it but I could peel that away) and not one but two generous servings. I couldn't even force myself to make room for dessert. I have to find a reason to return to Columbia to return here. Even if I have to stay a member of this group which only meets there once a year!! If anyone isn't pleased with this place, they must have caught it on an off night. We went ona week night and it was great.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

When I walked in there was nobody at the hostess stand, and nearly nobody in the restaurant. This was concerning. After roughly 1-2 minutes someone emerged from the back and took me to my seat. This restaurant broke every one of Chef Robert Irvine's rules. Family pictures on the walls, carpeted dining rooms, and banquet chairs. It looked dingy. The menu seemed appetizing, but the food hardly lived up to its description on the menu. I ordered a seafood pasta dish and chicken soup. The soup appeared to be tomato sauce with soggy shredded strips of store bought chicken. The entree was just as bad, the shrimp were tasteless, the 'pan seared' scallops seemed to be boiled, and the pasta was under cooked. In addition to that, the bread appeared to be wax decorations. Overall I was very displeased.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I have been dining at Villa Tronco for a very long time and they are just as great now as they have been in the past. The chicken Villa Tronco is one of my favorites, with the chicken so tender you can cut it with a fork. The service is always exceptional and the deserts, divine! The old fire house also makes for a charming locale!

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Salmon croquettes with grilled vegetables simple healthy and just like moma used to cooked. Great salad. To start and a great selections of wines to satisfy any taste.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Villa Tronco is a Columbia, SC culinary institution of almost 75 years and is the kind of family owned and operated restaurant that will bring a smile to your face when dining there. The historic building provides a beautiful, casually elegant and cozy setting to savor Mama Tronco's recipes passed down to and prepared with love by the current generation of the Tronco family.

When we dine at Villa Tronco, we have always been greeted at the hostess stand right inside the front door and quickly shown to our table (reservations are suggested). The server staff is well trained and knowledgeable about the menu, daily specials and can make recommendations according to the preferences you share with them.

The food is outstanding as you would expect when all dishes (from great pizzas to pasta, chicken, veal & seafood dishes) use handmade components . Our most recent meal at Villa Tronco was last night and it was outstanding! We started with Buttery Garlic Crab Bruschetta, which was simply amazing (see my photo) and then our table ordered the following: Toasted Sesame and Citrus Tuna (Seared Ahi tuna fillet finished with a toasted sesame seed and lemon reduction. Served with sauteed vegetables), Shrimp and Lobster Risotto (Sauteed large shrimp and lobster tail tossed with mushrooms and sweet peas in parmesan risotto), Chicken Saltimbocca and Linguini with Meatballs...every dish was excellent! The tuna was fresh, rare Ahi and seared to perfection, the Risotto had nice big chunks of buttery lobster and large, sweet shrimp...even the classic chicken saltimbocca was savory and delicious, as were the giant, homemade meatballs seated on homemade linguini....as far as the desserts (Tiramisu, Gelato, and Amaretto Bread Pudding were ordered at our table) go, well, FUGGEDABOUTIT! ;) They are all homemade and absolutely fabulous!

Value for dollars spent is also excellent at Villa Tronco! Last night's special was $10 off bottles of wine...we split the table's (4 adults) bill in two last night and after an appetizer, 2 bottles of wine (delicious Pinot Grigio), 4 entrees, 3 desserts and 2 coffees, our half was $79! Wonderful food, great service, and cozy atmosphere (there was a special event in back with Columbia Opera, which provided a really nice musical backdrop) for less than $80...that is an excellent value!

-----------------------
I make every attempt to take care with providing useful information and reviews of establishments, services and places that I have found noteworthy in my travels. If you found this review helpful, please take a moment to click the "YES" button at the bottom of the review and to the right of the question: "Was this review helpful?"
-----------------------