“Not your typical Residence Inn.”

Residence Inn Columbia Northeast
Ranked #24 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I have always stayed at a Residence Inn when I travel and never had any issues. But unfortunately this Residence was not what I was used too. The front desk personal at a night check in was not very friendly, it kind of felt like we were bothering him(wasn't welcoming). I think this was the worst bed I have ever encountered at a Residence, we rolled into the middle of bed. And if I would have known that there were train tracks right near the hotel I probably wouldn't have stayed. A train went by 3 times between midnight and 6 in the morning, and blew its horn mutilple times. If you've ever seen the movie "My cousin Vinny", my husband re-enacted the scene when the train goes by and wakes Joe Pesci up. Lol..

I know for next time when I pass through South Carolina I will avoid this Residence Inn.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Hotel staff members were very pleasant and helpful. Dinner was included on weeknights, and was good, as was breakfast. The room was comfortable, spacious, and quiet. It is located outside the city of Columbia, but is close to highways that are convenient for getting into the city.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2013

My son, daughter and myself stayed in this hotel 3/1 - 3/4. The check in staff (at 4:30 am) was gracious and extremely helpful to some very tired folks. He even met us at the back door (closer to our room) with a baggage cart! Everyone at breakfast was kind and the food was kept full. Normal Marriott chain hotel breakfast....nothing special, but the atmosphere was good. We had our dog with us....the room was fantastic for that - we had a 2 bed/2bath combo. There were some great areas to walk to the dog EXCEPT between the hotel and the Cracker Barrel next door. Why do people not clean up after their pets? Amazes me! All in all, I would say this is a good hotel and one I would definitely recommend and stay at again in the future while visiting family in the Columbia area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room toward the rear, away from the hospital and sirens.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2013

My family & I have used this hotel many times since our 1st stay, as a stopping point on our travels. Each time, everything I said in the 1st review (also a full "5") stands true and we gain a new sense of appreciation as well.

The 2-bedroom suite is spacious and well appointed. It offers privacy as well as plenty of space to gather. We enjoy having a separate bathroom in each bedroom. Of course, the full kitchen (including dishes, toaster, etc.) makes eating less expensive if the need arises. I recently disovered that not all RI properties (such as Gainesville, Fla., for example) have a toaster.

As far as their manager's reception, EVERY TIME it beats out ANY OTHER RI in terms of HOSPITALITY because of Ms. Dorothea, who opens up the dining area like it was her home, treating guests like family! It’s truly amazing to watch, and to experience. You’ll even hear her humming or singing beautifully as she keeps the food coming! She is the perfect example of the difference between someone who’s simply polite because it’s their job to be so versus someone who actually LOVES PEOPLE! The food is hot, fresh, and varied; and the wine and beer are always cold and plentiful.

The breakfast buffet provides an extremely wide assortment of choices, from healthy to indulgent. The hostesses are all business and seem to prefer opening up more to the families with children, while coming across as terse to other guests; but this doesn’t take away from the overall experience of the breakfast or the stay itself.

The check in is always smooth and they work very hard to get you exactly what you want. This time I asked for a room on the top floor because of noise above me that I had experienced at a hotel prior to our arrival here. They didn’t have a 2-bedroom available on the top floor, so they put me on the first floor but found a room that had no one coming in for the room above it. What a way to make a guest request happen!!

Also, check out is nice and leisurely...NOON!

This seems to be a very stable staff who loves their job. We’ve been coming here for almost a year and never been dissatisfied. We tried the TownePlace Suites in Columbia in December 2012 and loved it, almost choosing it over this hotel. For the money, we chose this one because of the added spread of the breakfast and the manager’s reception. Both are very well run and you can book either one with confidence.

Please see my review of this hotel in my 1st posting and explore my review on The TownePlace Suites if you need a bit more economical option.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2013

The Residence Inn Columbia Northeast is a wonderful place to hang out with the Girls. The hotel is about 10 minutes from the shopping spots and only a few miles from the Two Notch area. The Two Notch area offers a large variety of place to eat at. The Hotel Staff was GREAT!!!! Special
Thanks to the Young Man on Night Staff. Great Breakfast!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank carol5029
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Columbia Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2013

Thanks so much for the review Carol! We hope to see you on another girls weekend soon. I will make sure to pass on your kind comments to our staff. Thanks for choosing to stay with us!

Reviewed 8 January 2013

We booked for a brief overnight stay on our way to Florida. I would not recommend this hotel for the following reasons.
The only restaurant nearby is a Cracker Barrel. Fine for breakfast or lunch but not for dinner.
The room was spacious but in need of an upgrade. The sofa was tired and the sheets were old and the pillows were small with very wrinkled pillow cases.
This is a pet friendly hotel and we were next to a dog that enjoyed barking.
On weekends the breakfast does not start until 7 pm which does not suit us as we like to get on the road early.
The morning receptionist was very unhappy. I think we wakened him with our 6:30 departure.
This site is probably well suited to a family who plan to use the attractive pool and eat in the room.
Next time we will go to the next exit to the South on I77. Two Notch Road has several newer hotels and a number of restaurants.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luvtravel41

Dear Luvtravel41,

It is with my sincerest apologies that we did not meet all of your expectations. Furthermore, I do greatly appreciate your honesty and opinioned review.

I would like to update you on a couple of matters. We have renovations scheduled for later this year and I know that you will be pleased with the modern updates. Also, it is a Marriott mandate that all Residence Inn properties must allow pets due to it being a long term stay property. It is with sadness and regret that my team was not able to sense your discontent and offer to move you to a different suite.

I hope you are able to visit us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and to demonstrate our commitment to service excellence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you.

Highest regards,

Katie Register
Sales Manager
Katie.Register@marriott.com

Reviewed 1 January 2013

I had a two bedroom suite and it reminded us of a two bedroom timeshare. It was roomy and comfortable. No indoor pool but a reasonable workout room. The front desk people were very helpful making fast work of checkin. Breakfast are was clean and food was very filling. My only drawback was the coffee was not refilled in the lobby area. Great value and good clean rooms.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Thanks for the fantastic review! We hope to see you and your grandkids back very soon. Thanks for choosing to stay with us!