“Nice, but should be better for hip patients from Providence Hospital”

Residence Inn Columbia Northeast
Ranked #18 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 31 August 2010

First, the staff was wonderfully friendly and helpful. The breakfast was excellent, as was the evening happy hour.Nice pool, good treadmills in the exercise room, generally clean and updated. The hotel is very nice, an excellent home base for the many out of state patients of Dr. Gross who have hip surgery at Providence Hospital across the street. Unfortunately, I have one major negative comment. My husband had his hip resurface surgery on Wednesday. He was discharged from the hospital on Friday, and we checked out on Sunday for our trip home. We moved to the first floor handicap accessible room on Friday. As soon as I walked in, I noticed it smelled very strongly of cigarettes. I think the people who just checked out had been smoking. I immediately complained to the front desk. Nobody came to clean, we weren't offered another room. I was too distracted with the post surgical care to follow up with the front desk. Of course, two other out of state patients were there at the same time, in the other accessible rooms, so we probably couldn't move. I bought a bottle of Febreze and sprayed, but it didn't help much. Also, the room was very inconvenient for someone with mobility issues. I had to move the furniture around. And, the toilet seat was broken, to top it all off. This hotel gets many out of state patients of Dr. Gross. They should check in with the hospital on what they need to do to make the patients more comfortable. Again, the hotel was otherwise excellent, and the staff was wonderful. They were so accommodating to all of us who needed ice for the patients' cooling machines, every four hours. (maybe an ice machine the guests could access would be easier on all involved?) I'd recommend the hotel, but book the accessible room early and ask a lot of questions about the condition of the room.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 August 2010

Stayed at the residence inn for 6 nights with my entire family. The rooms are really clean and the service was amazingly friendly. The best part of it was the great fresh breakfast every morning which is included!
Small tip if you would like to save money, get the suite if you need more than one bedroom.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
fowler62, Manager at Residence Inn Columbia Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2010

Thank you so much for the great review. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 16 February 2010

Residence Inns vary a bit in quality. This was OK. It looks like an apartment complex with separate buildings. Most of the buildings are away from the adjacent road, although that road is reasonably quiet. It doe get regular traffic, but it is a two lane road leading to a residential area, not an interstate.

The breakfast had some hot food, but was a little subpar, I thought. OK, but not great. The staff working in the kitchen, however, were quite friendly and accommodating.

The hotel is easy to find near I-126 and only a few minutes drive to downtown. I was there for a military graduation at Fort Jackson. It took about 20 minutes to drive there.

On the bad side, there was an extremely loud party n the adjacent building. I called the desk several times and the party was cleared out - eventually; in fact, the persons staying in the room had to vacate as well (I learned this the next day). There is a posted no party policy when you check-in. My guess is that these partes are tied to the frequent (41x per year) basic training graduations at nearby Fort Jackson. If I had been in a different building I probably wouldn't have heard the noise.

I was not charged for the room for the noisy night, which I greatly appreciate, although a quieter evening would have been preferable. The staff were reasonably responsive and apologetic and actually kicked out the offending guests.

I was in a "penthouse" room, which had a bedroom upstairs and a bedroom downstairs. There were two bathrooms and three TVs. There was a full kitchen and some comfortable chairs and a couch. All in all, a large suite.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Good motel but bad experience with loud barking dogs because they allow pets in the room. Barking woke us up early and continued as owner had left pet in room. Bad idea to allow pets.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
fowler62, Owner at Residence Inn Columbia Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2010

We appreciate your feedback. It is a Marriott standard that all Residence Inns must allow pets (with a fee). Please note that Residence Inn by Marriott is an extended stay hotel, and the dogs that travel here are usually accustomed to traveling. Therefore, we typically do not have barking issues. I apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you again for your taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed 16 September 2009

Nice rooms, clean comfortable and updated. Friendly staff, asked for rollaway bed, left room to eat and it was in the room when we returned. Stayed in a 2 bedroom suite, pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family

Thanks for the great review! We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 1 August 2009

My grandson graduated yesterday from boot camp at Fort Jackson. This hotel is approx 10 minutes from the entry point to Camp Jackson for graduation (exit Percival Rd). The staff could NOT have been more helpful. Our room was the same price as the Comfort Inn but featured a living room/kitchen area w full kitchen and two seperate bedrooms(behind closed doors) each with their own very nice full bath. Included was a full breakfast (eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, bagels, fresh fruit, cereal, grits, etc etc etc) as well as a reception in the evening(I believe is Mon-Thu) which offers a small entree and your choice of beverage which includes beer or wine.
This hotel also has one bedroom suites available. It is located right next to a Cracker Barrel rest. and is approx 3 miles from a commercial area on Two Notch Rd which includes Chili's, Outback, etc.
For families, this hotel had a fabulous pool and hot tub but was also very quiet at night. There is also a military discount if you are attending a graduation. Really, there is not a single thing the hotel or staff could have done to improve our visit, it was THAT great!

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2009

We stayed at the Residence Inn Northeast for two nights while visiting our son at Ft. Jackson. The hotel is very nice, and very clean. The staff was incredible, very helpful with information about the hotel and the area. A cleaning issue in our room was addressed immediately, and they allowed us to have a late check-out to accomodate our needs. We are very much looking forward to another trip to Ft. Jackson so we can stay here. (There is a new Cracker Barrel right next to the hotel and right now it's a secret because it was never crowded whenever we went there, but the food was great).

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple