“Inn at USC makes you feel like you are at home”

Inn at USC Wyndham Garden
Ranked #5 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, United States
“Inn at USC makes you feel like you are at home”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

This hotel has the space of a hotel with the feel of a bed and breakfast. From the moment you step into the hotel you are greeted with friendly faces. There are several types of rooms to choose from. Staying in a suite is a must - we especially like the ones with balcony's. The bedroom and sitting room are separate so one of you can be sleeping while the other watches TV! The historic rooms are spectacular and would be perfect for a special event. There is a full breakfast in the morning and a cash bar at night. Be sure to visit the bar as you will meet many interesting people.

The Inn would also be a perfect place for a company retreat as it has ample meeting rooms and special events occur quite frequently. We saw everything from weddings to business meetings.

You are in the heart of the USC campus and can stroll around the Historic Horseshoe after breakfast. Five points is 4 blocks away and a short walking distance from the hotel. Five Points has restaurants, bars, shopping etc.

My husband enjoyed our stay at the Inn for South Carolina Football games and wouldn't want to stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: There are several types of rooms to choose from. Staying in a suite is a must - we especially like t...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Great location for visiting USC in Columbia. Open foyer at check-in, nice outdoor seating and tables in various locations Great front porch with chairs too. Breakfast was nice with lots of choices and you could get a home made omelette. Bloody Marys on Game Days. Bathroom and room nicely decorated on first level and hotel had lots of Exits so we could get out to walk around campus easily.

1 Thank cedarcircle
Scotland
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I stayed here for two nights for work, and nearly everything about it was good. The service and hospitality were exceptional. The place looks clean, smart, and modern, but in fact is in a very notable old building, with interesting architecture and decor. The room was very clean, a reasonable size, with a very comfortable bed and good desk (although as often in the USA I find the chairs to be a bit low). The only slight downside was that there was a connecting door between me and the next room, so at times I could hear noise though it, but it didn't interfere with my sleep.

Breakfast was huge and lavish. You could have eaten enough to keep going all day.

Unlike many places, there was free WiFi throughout. The setting is fairly central in Columbia, and extremely convenient for the University. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 November 2012

For location, this hotel really gets 5 stars. I imagine most people go there to visit the USC campus, and it is ideal for that, located right in the middle of the campus. I go for the NAC, and it is right across the street from there. Also within walking distance from the 5 Points area, nice collection of bars and restaurants.
The hotel itself is very nice, nothing extraordinary but quality. Interesting vibe in the lobby, almost like a bed and breakfast. Check in was very professional, whenever I needed anything they were very helpful. The rooms are a bit small but I always found them clean and comfortable.
Breakfast was a nice touch, though I found that most things were a bit cold when they were supposed to be hot. Price was a touch high for the city and star rating, but I assume you are paying for the location. Overall, I highly recommend if you are in Columbia, especially if you are visiting USC or the NAC

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank pongo1390
Prince George's County, Maryland
Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

I wanted this to be an excellent review but after experiencing a room change and then bugs in the bed and hair in the shower in our new room, I would be doing Trip Advisor injustice.

This is the place where reviews are by the guest for the guest.

The hotel is beautiful. Central on the campus to USC. Plenty of parking. Free of charge. When I arrived no rooms were avail so I headed to my conference and gave my check in details to my accompanying guest-my mother. She checked in later with no problem. The hotel has different sections. I asked someone to point me to my room and they escorted me. Nice touch!

Decor
The hotel room is nice however the bathroom is outdated in comparison to the room.

Fitness Center
It's too small for comfort. 3 pieces of equipment. I took a walk instead.

Motel Experience...
The first room had a loud sound periodically throughout the day and evening. We called management and learned we were placed over the housekeeping unit and the sound was dryers. Not good. The hotel was at capacity and couldn't move us until the next day. They offered a 20% discount for our issue.

Day 2, we are moved mid day across the hall. The room was fine. Until my mother wakes up in the morning (Day 3, check out day) scratching herself. There are bugs in the bed. My mother called downstairs however no one answered the call. She killed two or three gathered them in a napkin and took them downstairs to the front desk to get someone.

Are they bed bugs? Management, specifically Andrew Lucas, states no. He came up to the room with a little flashlight and inspected the beds (specifically the mattress, not the sheets) only w/another gentleman who just stood there. Were they fleas? Management stated no. He placed down on the floor a white piece of tissue from the night stand and stated if they were fleas, they would be attracted to the white on the tissue. None appeared. Well, what are they? No firm answer but my mother was asked if we placed shoes on the bed as they could have come from us being outside. What?

When I came back, I looked at the beds baffled. What happened in here? After my mother explained and showed me her bites. We grabbed our bags to check out and to speak to the front desk. When I spoke to Mr. Andrew Lucas and inquired about documentation of this incident and what type of bugs these were that bite my mother. He first ensured they were not bed bugs or fleas. He stated he placed a piece of white paper down (not tissue). He stated his big guy came out and confirmed both and he works with one of the most reputable companies in the world and he will write up a report and submit it tithe hotel. I asked for my own documentation as my mother will be going to the doctors upon our return home and we'd like evidence of this issue happening in the hotel. He stated incident reports are internal documents and he can't confirm the issue happened in the hotel. Really? Where did it happen I wonder? Outside? Ha! I was perturbed by Andrews dismissive attitude. Come to this hotel at your own risk.

Bathroom
There was hair in the tub of the shower. Definitely felt like a motel for a second.

Breakfast
Breakfast was nice and complimentary each morning for guests. Enjoy made to order omlettes and waffles.

I hope you find this review helpful.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank jknecole
Andrew L, General Manager at Inn at USC Wyndham Garden, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Inn at USC Wyndham Garden. We read and share every review with the staff so we can better serve our next guest.

We do appreciate your compliments regarding our facilities, specifically the location, parking, décor and breakfast. We are so glad that we were able to accommodate you on your business trip.

I would like to apologize if you felt like I was being dismissive, as that was not my intention at all. If my attempt to comfort your mother and assure her that the bites were not caused by bed bugs or fleas may have inadvertently come across as dismissive, then I am truly sorry.

As you mentioned we do have one of the Nation’s most reputable pest control specialists serving our hotel. They did thoroughly inspect and gave the room an all clear for any pests and continue to protect us from all pests.

I hope that our unintended miscommunication and this isolated incident will not keep you from visiting us again. If you are ever back in Columbia, SC we invite you give us another try. Please contact me with any questions or on your return trip. Andrew Lucas, 803-779-7779.
Downingtown
Reviewed 28 October 2012

The Inn at USC is among the best ways to experience the outstanding campus at South Carolina. We have stayed all nearly all the surrounding hotels and none compare to the atmosphere, service at convenience provided by the Inn at USC.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

1 Thank Robert C
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Went to visit neice who attends USC. The location is right on campus and you can walk to most places. The staff was friendly and I was even ugraded to a suite upon check-in without asking. The king suite was spacious, but a little dated. Free breakfast was a plus.

1 Thank LosSargentos