“Cochroaches”

Candlewood Suites Columbia-Ft. Jackson
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 19 June 2013

All I need to say is Cockroaches...I was in my room and saw one run across my floor. I immediately call the front desk where they laugh at me and tell me that it is a normal thing to see in South Carolina,oh and that she would bring me some bug spray...WHAATTTT?! I then go to the front desk where I demanded that I get refunded for my hotel or to put me in another room. Since it was pats the time for refunds they weren't able to do it. So they put me on the opposite side of the hotel on a different floor. I didn't have the luxury to switch hotels and take the financial hit. All I can say is I will NEVER stay at a Candlewood Suites again.

Room Tip: If anything don't stay in room 215
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Amanda B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Columbia-Ft. Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Dear Amanda B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate an unexpected element in your room prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are pleased to see the hotel provided a new room, resolving your concern. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

Reviewed 29 May 2013

This was the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed in. I reserved a room for 2 nights 24, 25 May for a basketball tourney with my 10 year old. Checked into the room and it smelled like old urine (coming from the bathroom). The beds were full of hair and the comforters were dusty. Offered me another room with much of the same in addition to a cigarette stench. I took the lesser of the 2 evils(the first room) and requested clean sheets which I had to change myself. I went to Walmart and purchased cleaning supplies to sanitize and disinfect the room to a healthy enough standard to sleep and shower. Needless to say, I was not able to sleep in this filthy place. I called the front desk and told them I was checking out. The only reason I stuck it out for one night because my son wanted to be with his teammates who also stayed at the hotel. I will never stay at this hotel again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. There is no sense of urgency or a willingness to go above and beyond; with this staff.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Tynita
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Columbia-Ft. Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear Tynita,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. It is nice to know your concerned were addressed during your stay. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the room cleanliness and the poor service you received. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope you do choose to give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Karen C

Reviewed 20 March 2013

I planned to stay at Candlewood Suites for a total of 3 days due to the sastisfactory reviews. I arrived to check on and I was not greeted by the receptionist at all the first 10 mins I stood in front of him at the desk. He seemed to be busy but he never said one word. I got to my room which was suppose to be a queen suite. When I walked thru the door it had 2 (seemed to be) full size beds instead. Then I noticed the bed was wrinkle as if the covers were already used. I then pulled the covers back to double check and believe it or not, there was hair in both beds. The comfortor had stains on it as well. The mattress seemed to be old because it sagged in the middle bad. As I continued my room check I saw that the toilet was never cleaned. It had tissue and streaks in the toilet. I then looked at the floors and it had food and a little bit of dirt. Then I found a little toy car in the seat. Overall the experience was by far the worse I've had at an hotel. The manager was very unapologetic and rude so I canceled my reservations and found a nicer hotel. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Jameillavg
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Columbia-Ft. Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

Dear Jameillavg,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the unacceptable cleanliness of the room and the unsatisfactory service you received from the staff. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to pamper you and provide you with exceptional service.

Karen G.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

We stayed here for almost 2 weeks while waiting for housing & it suited our needs for the time. It was nice to have a separate bedroom & kitchen while staying that long. I'm very picky about places being clean & sanitary so I asked them if they could clean the floors better & they were very prompt. The front desk personel were nice & friendly. Wednesdays were pizza night so there was free pizza & fruit & drinks... That was a nice little something extra. The side we stayed on was a little noisy from the cars & sirens but overall we were satisfied w/ our stay.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 23 February 2013

My husband and I had a studio suite with one queen bed. The room had a mini-kitchen which was nice but the bed was a tight fit for two pushed into a corner of the room. Bathroom amenities were sparse but the towels were soft. There are a lot of restaurants in the area.

Room Tip: A studio is a small fit for 2 people.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Though this hotel is 8-9 miles from downtown Columbia, I feel it is worth the trip. I tens to favor suite hotels as I travel 3-4 days a week. And this Candlewood Suites is one of the most comfortable I have stayed at. The location is convenient for food and shopping, yet the setting of the hotel is very quiet; it backs up to the woods. A Piggly Wiggly is located next door, so it is easy get groceries. They also have DVD players in all rooms and a fairly extensive videos you can borrow from the front desk.

The staff here is very friendly, as well. and very accommodating.

Room, kitchen, laundry, exercise room, and all common areas including the pool and grill were exceptionally clean.

I highly recommend the Candlewood Suites in Columbia. They also allow pets, but for an additional charge ($75 for up to 6 days, and $150 for longer stays). This is a great 'home away from home' for any extended stay visitor.

Room Tip: I stayed on an upper floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Upon arriving in Columbia, SC in late October 2012, I did not originally stay at the Candlewood Suites. Rather, I stayed at a competing hotel. I quickly moved/relocated to the Candlewood Suites. At that time, I knew it was a good decision. And in hindsight now, it was a great decision. The staff at the Candlewood Suites is very customer service oriented. I would like to specifically mention two hotel representatives, Andrew Dalton (Sales Coordinator/Manager) and Natasha Burns (Front Office Manager) as they provided exceptional customer service. In addition to the exceptional customer service that I received, the hotel is extremely well kept. If i am mistaken, the hotel is NOT old by any means, as I believe it is approximately 4 years old. But even in saying that, you would never tell that the establishment was built the "long" ago. The maintenance and up-keep by the staff is very apparent. The rooms are extremely clean. All told, I stayed at the Candlewood Suites for a little over two months. I highly recommend this hotel and will gladly stay there each and every time that I visit the Columbia, SC area.

PS. After leaving the Columbia area, I traveled to the Northeast area. I am currently in another hotel. I did not realize how comfortable the beds at the Candlewood Suites are in comparison to other hotels. I quickly realized it the first night after staying at the Candlewood Suites.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business