“nice park for a stroll downtown”
Review of Finlay Park

Finlay Park
Ranked #62 of 109 things to do in Columbia
jef-ind
104 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 208 helpful votes
“nice park for a stroll downtown”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I've spent a good bit of time in Columbia and can't say that I really enjoy the place that much. But it does have some pockets of beauty-- a few streets lined with old homes, some pleasant green spaces around the university, etc. I noted the reviews here of Finley Park and decided to take a stroll on a free afternoon. It is a nice, sprawling green space with pleasant views over Columbia's downtown. The waterfalls are interesting, although they converged into an algae and rubbish filled pool today. I enjoyed a nice 15-minute walk along the perimeter of the park. It was good to see so many other people out too. I doubt that I'll return again. Metered parking is convenient.

Visited July 2011

Hanover Park, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“beautiful but neglected...”
Reviewed 5 April 2011

i am from chicago & am traveling to myrtle beach. we stopped by the park & yes it is beautiful, but it is very dirty. it doesnt seem like the people of this city care about this park. a little disappointed.

Visited April 2011
1 Thank MeMeTrips
Forest Hills, New York
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Beautiful park and scenery, Great spot for taking pictures”
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I was in Columbia, SC for the day and saw the great reviews of Finlay park on TA and went to visit . The park is absolutely serene with great views of nature everywhere. The waterfalls are very relaxing and gives you so many angles to take some great pics. We were there on a Saturday and they were setting up for a music concert but we couldnt stay. We did see one or two homeless people during the day but they didnt take away from the beauty of the park. I would definitely return and spend more time relaxing on the grass or having a small picnic.

1 Thank Teresa S
Columbus, Ohio
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“It's Finlay Park Folks, and it's worth the stop!”
Reviewed 11 April 2010

During a quick overnight stop to Columbia, SC, we searched here at TA for something to do before meeting friends for dinner. The weather is great this time of year (April) and knew that something outdoors would be great. So, we decided to give FINLAY Park a try! I am capitalizing this because this park has been misspelled over and over again here! Located near downtown, this park is great for friends, families, lovers and more! Partially built into the side of a nearby hill, this park has a couple of waterfalls, ponds and more. There are plenty of great open spaces to take a dog and throw a frisbee too! For the younger kids, a nice-sized playground yields plenty of entertainment while moms can rest on a nearby bench! On your visit to Columbia, stop by and take a few moments to relax!

2 Thank gjscraftygirl
Charleston
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Finley Park, formerly known as Sydney Park”
Reviewed 14 May 2009

I remember going to Finley Park, formerly known as Sydney Park, beginning when my sister went to USC. I loved it then and I love it now! I live a few hours away from Columbia, but everytime I go, I have to stop by the park for a walk through!

Its just a great place to hang out, to relax, to catch up with family/friends, to have a picnic, to watch a performance, etc.

A bit of a warning...it is a public park, and I am sure it is monitored by citizens, but you may see homeless people occasionally...and parents maybe not watching the youngsters too closely (example: last December we went, and a little boy began using the bathroom right in the playground area and the mother just pointed and laughed--classy lady!)

If you like Finley Park, also visit Congaree National Swamp (I think thats the official name)...alos a very nice place to walk and take in nature!

1 Thank daddysgirl29445