“Nice place”

Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #40 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 23 December 2011

No problems here, nice place, little expensive but expected for a nice hotel downtown.

• Stayed: December 2011
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

Thanks again for taking the time to review our property! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you stay with us in the future!

Reviewed 8 December 2011

I stayed at the Sheraton on main, and it was ok not somewhere that I would recommend. The room was small the t.v in the bathroom did not work and the floor was not clean. I was doing a late checkout when I went out for lunch I placed the DND sign on the door,when I returned my things was taken out my room and the room was cleaned. I reported to front desk staff sheri, she confirmed the late check out and said the room should not have been entered or cleaned. For several weeks I tried to reach the general manager that never returned my calls, sheri continued to brush me off with this investigation lie finally Christina called with her lie and never called back. I called again Christina was rude and was unprofessional saying I could file my insurance but the Sheraton would not replace my items. The hotel houskeepers are thieves and the Sheraton approve of their actions, so if you stay there take all your belongings each time you leave your room if by chance you have a problem call local authority you will never talk to the general manager he can care less.

3  Thank Sosexy
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Thank you so much for your honest review, and we apologize for your missing items. In scenarios such as this it is standard to speak with all employees who would have come into direct contact with the room. Unfortunately we were unable to come to any conclusive resolution in this event. Please let us know if the compensation we have already provided you is not to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

I have stayed there probably 10 times. Last night my husband checked in around 4, asked them to make up the sofa bed as we knew we'd be back late from the game. We arrived at midnight, 2 kids in tow. Sheets- no pillows- were dropped off for the sofa bed.We opened up the bed and there were dirty sheets from the prior occupant. They sent up the security guard- who, while very nice, told us there was no housekeeping staff. Meanwhile, an inspection of the bathroom showed hairs- not ours as we'd been there 15 minutes- covering the floor. The front desk guy was all alone and totally unhelpful and overwhelmed with late night checkins. He told us there were no other rooms but amazingly told me the room could be cleaned in 3 minutes- by whom I have no idea and no idea why it hadn't been done 30 minutes earlier. We had asked the security guard to have valet get our car, but that message didn't get conveyed either so another 15 minutes later we were on the road home at 1 am with 2 exhausted kids.

4  Thank mleleanor
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2011

Dear guest,

I cannot apologize enough for the situation that you encountered with your room, and there is no excuse for the cleanliness not being rectified the first time you mentioned it. Because of this a new training program has been put into place with our housekeeping department to ensure that no future guests have this issue. I hope that in the future you will give us a second chance to deliver nothing but the best in Sheraton service.

Reviewed 20 November 2011

I've stayed there several times in the past 18 months, and even though I used to live in Columbia, I never knew this awesome little hotel was there! When I go back to visit-I always stay here. Historic bank building + modern style + awesome location = unique, warm, chic hotel. The parking garage may be challenging to find--if you don't choose to use the valet, however you can usually street park if you are willing to circle the block a couple of times. As the hotel was created out of a former bank, the rooms are all different sizes and shapes, but all well-appointed, and creatively designed to make the best of the space, the bathrooms are all quite large, with a television and wonderful amenities. There is a tiny Starbucks in the lobby, a unique bar in the former vault, a restaurant/bar in the basement, and in the summer months--a bar on the roof!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Hi and thank you for taking the time to review our property!

I'm so happy that you enjoyed the unique charm that comes with staying in a 1913 bank. As you stated we have taken the opportunity to maintain and restore a number of the original features in the hotel including the, the vault (now a martini bar), the rooms (all original hard wood and layout from the bank), and few other key things that we have expanded on (like the roof top). We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 15 November 2011

Well, I just checked in here about two hours ago and was excited about what I hoped to experience. I could tell online that this Sheraton didn't look like your typical one. I was picked up from the airport in an amazing black Escalade. The driver was very kind and helpful. Upon arrival, the ladies at the front desk were friendly. They kindly greeted me and checked me in. I asked about dinner options as I'd arrived pretty late. They told me the restaurant downstairs was open (Main St. Tavern). I realize it was late but was hoping for more details about the hotel and surrounding area. I brought my clothes upstairs and was amazed at the size and style of the room. They're really nice. The nicest Sheraton I've stayed in (almost a mix btw Westin and W). I had also noticed the AAA Four Diamond award on the wall. I was a little disappointed that I wasn't put on an SPG floor or any higher than the third floor. But no biggie. I've moved down to Gold Level...no longer Platinum. I went downstairs to get some dinner and was greeted hesitantly and informed they were only serving a late night menu. I understand this isn't New Orleans and life slows down late at night. I sat down and ordered a burger since sandwiches were pretty much the only items on this menu. After dinner I came back up to the lobby to chill for a min. A new crew was on duty at the front desk. The older gentleman didnt look up from his computer screen to even greet me as i came in plainly in view. I walked around for a few min and then he looked up to ask if he could help me in a tone that he didnt think i was a guest. I told him i was just hanging out before going up to my room. Eventually i went to my room and remembered I needed to take some medicine. So I looked for a complimentary bottle of water that's normally offered to SPG guests. But there wasnt one in my room. So I went downstairs to ask for a bottle. The gentleman at the front desk said free water was only available for SPG Gold and Platinum members. I said that was great bc I'm a Gold member. He told me it'd take a few min and the bellman would bring some to my room. I told him my room number and then he changed his mind. He then said that water was only for Platinum members. Not sure why he changed his statement in 30 secs time. It was very awkward. I guess maybe he thought I was lying to him since I'm not on an SPG floor. So I asked "you're telling me that since I'm not Platinum I can't have a bottle of water even though you just said it was for Gold and Platinum members?" He said that's right. So I said goodnight. He looked back at his computer screen as to get back to what I had interrupted. So I'm a bit frustrated as this is a beautiful hotel but not very guest friendly. Maybe the staff members are just having an off night. I give Terray the driver and Colleen who checked me in high marks but not so much for everyone else. I'm here for two more days. Let's see how it turns out.

• Stayed: November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our property!

I'm so happy that Toure and Colleen received such high remarks from you. They have truly set the benchmark for the Sheraton way. It bothers me however that your experience with our night auditor and the rest of our staff was not as pleasant. As you know from experiences at other Starwood properties, we set ourselves up against the highest standards for guest services, in order to make our hotel feel like a home away from home for our guests. I can assure that this is not acceptable and that these opportunities will be addressed with both my department and forwarded to the managers in the rest of the hotel.

Please accept my deepest apologies, and I hope that we can look forward to having you in house again soon.

Reviewed 14 November 2011

Pros:
Great location
Nice room with hardwood floors
Great rooftop bar
Charming older building
Bacon/eggs offered for breakfast on club level

Cons:
Staff was not helpful in explaining the parking situation/options
Slow draining shower
Sound carried very loud and clear from the halls into the room
Regular room was not very big

We also had problems with you room key (it never worked correctly) but they did give us a discount on our rate to remedy that which was equitable. It is a nice hotel but the service could be better.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel,

I'm so happy that you enjoyed our remodeled 1913 bank. It's a great historical landmark for the downtown Columbia area and we're proud to call it ours. I am not so happy to hear that your stay was not as comfortable as I would have hoped, and for that I do apologize. Please know that these remarks have been taken heart and that the proper changes will be made in order to create a comfortable stay for future guests and yourself if we have the opportunity to have you in house again.

Reviewed 12 November 2011

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere and quality of the food at the restaurant. If you choose to dine/drink at the restaurant make sure that KRISTI is there. She is a delightful person and a great waitress with a heart as big as Texas!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Hi and thank you so much for taking the time to review our property!

I am so happy that you were able to enjoy one of my favorite venues, Main Street Tavern, and that Kristi was available to wait on you. She truly is a valuable asset to our hotel and brings the Sheraton brand to life.

We hope to see you guys again soon,