“this hotel is gorgeous!”

Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #35 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“this hotel is gorgeous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

don't know where to begin...had the most friendly check-in. i parked on the street and the valet took care of my car. bags were brought up to my beautiful room on the 14th floor. the room was gorgeous...dark wood floors, plush bedding, tv in bathroom. my room was extremely comfortable. room service was awesome...brought food quickly. the chefs omelette and belgium waffles were perfect. nice coffee makers in the room. i really cant find anything wrong with this hotel...our stay was perfect!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It brings us great pleasure to hear about your wonderful stay here at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel. We are delighted to hear about your experience and appreciate your feedback in reference to your accomodations, dining experience, and staff experiences. We thank you for your business and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We were visiting Columbia for one night to go to my daughters sorority parents cocktail. We chose the Sheraton because of its convenient location to the function. The hotel is in an old bank building. It has a real cool bar that is located inside the old bank vault. They also have a very cool roof top bar overlooking the city. The valet, front desk and all the Sheraton staff were very professional, courteous and helpful. The rooms are a little small but very clean and updated. The beds are so so COMFORTABLE!!! I highly recommend this hotel and will most definitely stay there again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback. It brings us great pleasure to hear about our guests enjoyable experiences. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your accomodations as well as the hospitality our staff had to offer. Thank you for your business and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed at this beautiful hotel while attending a wedding. Its a historic hotel located in an old bank building. The rooms were very comfortable and have a great view of downtown Columbia. The Roof Top Bar has spectacular view with service and drinks to match! My wife's favorite was The Vault Martini Bar, yes it is actually located in the old bank vault. Dinner in the P.O.S.H. restaurant was tasty and the service was impeccable. I wish there was more parking, however, it is located in historic downtown Columbia about a block for the State House. We will stay again when visiting.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear about your wonderful stay. .We strive to offer a unique experience in all of our food and beverage venues along with outstanding customer service. Thank you for your business and we look forward to your return in the future.
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Warning: This is a LONG review, so go to the tips section if you don't want to read it all. I stayed at this Sheraton more than 10 times on business over the past 4 months from July to October. We chose this hotel because they offered an approved rate for our business and it was close to the areas where we were meeting. But for this, I would not have stayed here after our first night.

Pros Kinda? The staff was generally polite and helpful from the valet guys to the front desk. However, housekeeping was another story..see below. The hotel's concept is great and the rooftop bar is breathtaking, but not enough to come back. The hotel didn't seem to be well-designed and lacked soundproofing between guestrooms - I could hear the elevator dings in one room and someone walking in high heels above me in another room - but aesthetically it looks good.

Cons? Parking at $22 + tax every night.

Restaurant: We ate in P.O.S.H. a couple of times for pre-meeting breakfasts. The food not well prepared (didn't taste good or wasn't warm when it arrived), and they were out of some common items (e.g., bagels). After the third visit fraught with challenges, I started going to the bagel shop down the street for the remainder of my visits when staying at the Sheraton. I never ate in POSH again and took my colleagues to outside restaurants for our pre-meetings (approximately 6 times), drinks, and dinners.

Housekeeping: This is the area of the hotel where I experienced repeated problems that led me to believe that they need to fire their staff, hire more housekeeping staff, or train them better. I stayed in 4 different rooms during my stay, so I had varied experiences. The first time I stayed in 501 where the cable hardly worked in that room. On my first night, I called down to ask why I couldn't get Channel 10 to see Dexter. The hotel guy told me they didn't offer HBO even as I mentioned that there was an HBO guide in the room! The second time I returned and they put me in that same room and the same problem with the TV; never ever fixed even after I informed them of the problem.

During my second stay, I noticed a disgusting human stain on the mattress and begged to be moved. I noticed the stain because they only used one bottom sheet on top of the mattress and it was clear to see the stain through the sheet. Please note: I discovered this the morning after I slept in the bed. I went down to the front desk to ask to be moved. At first I was told they were sold out and there were no more rooms. It was only after I showed the front desk person and another staff the photo of the stain on the mattress that they accommodated me and moved me. The problem with stained/soiled sheets kept recurring even as I was placed in different rooms. I found myself checking the beds before I got in them. I will admit that the beds were better made in the other rooms (not 501) with mattress pads and quilting during subsequent stays, which is when I learned that having one sheet on top of the mattress wasn't standard in the hotel.

In another room (1206), I encountered a barely-working faucet. Only cold water would trickle out of the faucet. I thought that was a fluke, however, I was placed in the same room upon my return 3 weeks later and the faucet had not been fixed despite my informing them previously.

Based on my experience, housekeeping staff repeatedly used stained sheets, hardly ever vacuumed, swept or dusted the guestrooms even after being asked to do so or notifying them of the problems. I never saw a housekeeping manager even when asked - perhaps they only worked during the day when I was out - but I also never received a response to my handwritten notes or comment cards, which gave me the impression that the hotel was unconcerned about my stay and didn't want my business.

I am so glad that our work in Columbia is done and I never have to stay at this hotel again. I believe they could benefit from Hotel Impossible on raising their cleaning standards. I have pictures of the unsightly stains and would be willing to send them to anyone in Sheraton management to illustrate things that they need to address. When I reported these issues, staff moved me to other rooms, but the same problem kept occurring from the same department. There were other little things that spoiled my visits, but the housekeeping matter was the one that seemed to have a pattern. I've only attached the drama-free pictures to this review.

During our final stay in Columbia, I convinced our travel agent to find another hotel. We found a fantastic hotel that provided a great stay at a lower price that included free parking. Yes, it was about 1 mile farther from our meeting locations, but worth it to not deal with the drama at the Sheraton.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 06 and 07 tiers appear to encounter less noise. Provide comments on your room preferenc...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Crecia
Sheraton M, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all of your feedback and will be sure to take a close look into all issues you encountered on the Housekeeping end of your stay. We are taking these issues extremely serious and will be taking the necessary steps within our departments. I deeply apologize for the unacceptable stay you encountered and want thank you for your business here at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel.
springfield, nj
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

My husband, son and I stayed at the Sheraton last weekend for University of South Carolina's parents weekend festivities. I have to say I was very disappointed. Yes the hotel has charm and the front desk staff very helpful and polite but the room was not up to Sheraton's standards. I can appreciate the fact that the hotel is old but to have holes in the wood floor does not make something "charming", it makes it not maintained. There was a bug (LIVE) in one of the drawers, food splatter on the wall (sauce?), a USED napkin in the desk drawer obviously left over from the previous occupants room service, bathroom light bulb out, a crushed cup on bathroom floor, dirty glass desk top and a dusty nightstand. I actually left the crushed cup on the floor - which happened to be next to where I purposely put my used towel - to see if housekeeping would pick it up the next day. Nope! It's probably still there. I had to leave housekeeping a note to ask that the used napkin get cleaned up, clean glass etc... Pretty gross in my opinion. And before management replies - I did not complain or bring this to the attention of the front desk. It's not my job to manage and check the cleanliness of my room and check that light bulbs work. That's Sheraton's responsibility. I wasn't the only one having issues. My friend had to ask that the garbage be removed from her room - this is after housekeeping came. It was still there when they checked out .... maybe it still is.... I also overheard another couple complaining about their room.
Won't be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank loves2travel8_11
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for taking the opportunity to post a response on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback and want you to know that we will address every one of these options with our housekeeping staff and make sure these issues do no happen again. I deeply apologize for the lack of "service" you experienced with your room accomodations. We take our guests comfort very seriously and will resolve this immediately. Thank you again for making us aware of your experience and we hope you will give the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel another opportunity to better serve you in the future.
Mass.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Really nice modern room in a very cool building. All of the amenities you would expect from Sheraton. Very comfortable bed. Nice modern bathroom.

Located just off of the USC campus and close to the Vista.

Only complaint is the size of the bedroom was pretty small.

Stayed October 2013
2 Thank drpoirier
Thank you for your recent response on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at our unique, boutique style property. Our hotel is a renovated bank building in which the rooms were built around the original structure, therefore, some are larger than others. We do also offer a king studio suite which has larger accomodations as well. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel and we look forward to your return in the future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

The bed was as advertised- very comfortable for sleeping. The whole place is a very old building, which lends a nice historic and interesting feel. We found the room clean and comfortable, especially the bed and the bathroom. A few glitches: 3 runs downstairs to get our key fixed on the second day with no offer of any extra hospitality, 1 coffee cup on the first morning and a 2nd one promised but never brought up, 1 of the 2 phones was broken, the shades do not block light as well as you may be used to for a hotel room, a very shallow closet built into the wall (really just requires a little forethought), and only 2 outlets on the desk for charging devices (2 empty slots were there). The people were pleasant although the night check-in person seemed a little confused. There is valet for $22/day, but there is also a parking garage in the same block- we paid $1 the first morning to get our car out, then nothing the next two days as the garage was unmanned. Those two days were weekend mornings. The location was perfect for us- short walk to Main Street attractions, including the Farmer's Market Saturday; only a few blocks from USC, which we were visiting; and a short drive to Five Points or the Vista, where good shopping and food can be found.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank AMChase
Thank you taking the opportunity to post a review on Trip Advisor. I apologize for the inconvenience of room keys not working multiple times. Our staff should have offered to personally walk you upstairs after one time of having an issue with keys. We will also make sure to pass along the other glitches you experienced along the way so that we may provide better accomodations for our guests. Thank you staying at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel and we look forward to serving you in the future.