“Chef Drew Morgan”

Ranked #35 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Charleston, South Carolina
“Chef Drew Morgan”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I enjoyed a delicious dinner at the Sheraton. Chef Drew Morgan is new to the hotel, but he has rejuvenated the menu. The food is fresh and the seafood is of top quality. The Sesame Encrusted Ahi Tuna is the best I have tasted (I even live in Charleston,SC). I travel to Columbia several times a week for business. I will return to the Sheraton for many more dinners!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank JennyH841
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you dining at our fabulous restauratn P.O.S.H. We are excited to hear about your phenomenal experience with our chef. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel and we look forward to your return in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 February 2014

It is gratifying to see historic downtown buildings such as the Palmetto Building here in Columbia, SC being repurposed. Kudos to Sheraton for making this happen.

I did not eat at the restaurant nor visit the rooftop bar. We did visit the Vault Bar.

As most businesses, it's about the people - their motivation and their training. The first person we met was the valet for parking and he was genuine and helpful. In fact each of the three valets we dealt with was the same level of professional and helpfulness. Good first impression. The front desk on check-in was professional and to the point. I had the opportunity to deal with the front desk twice more - once to ask for change for $100 which they declined, second I asked about storing my laptop while I was out of the room as there is no safe in the room (there is a non-functional minibar though). I was shocked when they had no security option for valuables - nothing, zip - and they really weren't overly concerned about it - seemed it was more my problem. Huh.

Bathroom was very good, shower head and a wand spray. Nice large bathroom. Funny 24-inch flatscreen television in the bathroom - but, I couldn't turn it on as the batteries in the remote were dead. I took the batteries out and left them on the desk top as a hint to housekeeping. but, my subtle hint was ignored. Oh well - I didn't really care that much or i would have written a note. Now the setup of the room (I'm sure they vary) was such that the room was long and narrow with the wall mounted 40-inch flatscreen on the wall opposite the head of the bed. The distance was a little far for a 40-inch size in this room. Maybe 18 feet.

The Vault bar staff was minimally helpful and I had to run my own drink orders to the bar - and she really didn't know anything about liquor. I would think - given the era of the building/vault and the South Carolina location an investment in training and a good bourbon/rye selection could do well.

Room Tip: If you arrive after 5:30 p.m. on Friday through Sunday, the valet will park your car on the street f...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Professorgreen
Thank you for your recent response on Trip Advisor. We appreciate our guests feedback and continue to improve from such responses. We are very proud of our historic property and are always working to sustain our originality. We pride ourselves on on outstanding customer service and will continue to train our staff to maintain such values. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I did not have the privilege of staying here, but I did enjoy the rooftop bar. We were out for a night on the town, and this was a must-stop. From what I saw, the common areas, bathrooms and the bar itself were very clean and had a nostalgic feel to them. The view of Columbia is probably unmatched, as it's one of the tallest buildings. The seating area and vantage points for a good view were plentiful and awesome. Apparently, we had stopped in about 5 minutes after Eddie Griffin had left. He was in the area doing a comedy show. Good enough for a celebrity visiting the area? Good enough for most, I would imagine.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your experience at our one of a kind RoofTop Bar. It does offer a unique ambiance which you will not find anywhere else in the Columbia area. Thank you for being a valued patron and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Olanta, South Carolina
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Recently I had the pleasure of staying at the downtown Sheraton. I am a disabled veteran and some times I need a little more help than the average guest. On both of my visits I had the Jan 23
and Feb 7 I was fortunate to have Ms. Blachman at the reception/check in desk, She was most helpful to me with check in and answering questions I had about the city, She was able to give me precise direction about downtown which is a rarity today, she was able to assist me while busy with other customers and was cool, calm and collected. Her directions were impeccable and her attitude was fantastic as she dealt with this elderly gentleman professionally and thoroughly. I hope she is in line for promotion, I feel her communication skills would be an asset to the hotel if she were in a supervisory capacity. I will continue to visit Sheraton downtown and hope to have the courteous service of Ms, Blachman again. Her performance and zeal in her performance of duties reflects well on the Sheraton management, \,
John Loftus

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your business and we are very proud to hear of the impecable service you encountered by our front desk agent. Her hospitality and professionalism will not go unknown. The way you describe your experience is how we strive for all of our guests to feel after staying with us here at the Sheraton. Thank you again for staying at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel and we look forward to your return in the future.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

The staff was very pleasant. The room was nice, plenty of room, but a bit noisy at times. The bathroom was a good size, but the grout needed some bleach. Too few towels. The bed was large, comfy, with nice sheets and plenty of pillows. I'll revisit.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Penn B
Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your hotel accomodations during your stay. We do provide the Starwood standard for the amount of towels placed in each guest room. With that being said, please feel free to requests additional towels during your reservation process or even at check in and our staff will be more than happy to accomodate your needs. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel and we look forward to your return in the future.
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

The rooms are small but the hospitality is big the people go out of their way to help you have awesome breakfast and they keep the rooms clean. I would recommend this old beautiful hotel to anyone coming to the capital city it's also on Main Street walk to great restaurants, clothing shops and by the way best Cigar shop too the cigar box number II on Main Street.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alexis S
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for posting a response on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear that our wonderful staff was able to offer you the kind of southern hospitality we pride ourselves on here at the Sheraton. We appreciate you business and look forward to your return in the future.
Boston, MA
Reviewed 30 January 2014

This hotel is in dire need of a renovation. I understand the need to retain the historic quality of the property, but it's appearance is very worn. The chunks of tiles in the lobby and elevator areas were missing. The room was old, with uneven wooden floorboards and scatter rugs (??). The desk had multiple knicks in it and looked like it came from a flea market to be refurbished at some point. The bathroom door and walls hadn't been wiped down in about thirty years. Because the floors were not carpeted, you could hear everyone walking above and below - everything creeked all hours of the night. Parking was a pain in the neck - at meters or expensive valet. The only thing that represented Sheraton/Starwood was the signature bed - it was heavenly!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Boxrmom
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel. We appreciate your feedback and will make the necessary changes to preserve our property so that it is up to our guests standards. We are a 100 year old building, therefore, we are constantly having to maintain our property and do take great pride in our unique property. We appreciate your business and hope you will give us the opportunity to provide you with an outstanding experience upon your return to Columbia.