“Historic, Great service”

Ranked #43 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Reston, Virginia
“Historic, Great service”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel definitely wins points for being historic and well placed in the city. Hardwood floors, modern bathrooms, and an in-house café that serves Starbucks make it a great place to stay. The main reason this place gets high marks from me though is for its service. Everyone is willing to go out of their way to accommodate you. But Freddie T., above all, takes his job seriously and does brilliantly at it. I was in town for an event a few months ago and needed a last-minute courier. After researching as best he could, Freddie couldn't find anyone able to meet my rather complicated request so he offered to personally help with my delivery. He definitely went above and beyond and saved me in a pinch. He also gave a great restaurant recommendation - which always helps. Amazing service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank WillTravelforFood360

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Atlanta
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I walked in the lobby of this hotel last summer and decided that this hotel would be my go-to for future once-a-month visits to Columbia. I was pretty excited about the room I had (size and style is similar to historic NYC boutique hotels). But my room was SO LOUD. First there was a man having a sneezing fit in his room down the hall that sounded like it was right outside my door. I looked at my door and notice at least a 1" gap underneath (see photo). I swear to you I also heard somebody at the other end of the hall pass gas. There was an ice machine directly across the narrow hall, and you can imagine how hard it is to sleep with people constantly filling their ice buckets all night (worst of all filling coolers at 6:00am).

This is not why you choose a Starwood property at premium prices.

When I tried to talk to the front desk about it, all I received was "I'm so sorry. Have a great day."

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel reminds me of the young person that "has so much potential" but just does not care to make the effort. The it has a great location, nice furnishings, upgraded linens but fails to maintain the rooms to the same level you would expect. For example In our room we found some very obvious mold right above the front door (see photo). The the sink faucets had very poor water pressure. The room was stocked with only 2 towels, we would have expected four. They have apparently given up on the mini bar and the furniture is showing signs of wear with scratches and dings not addressed. None of these really affected our stay but I would have been upset if we had paid he rack rate. This Sheraton needs to get it's act together.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jeff S
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is classically designed. It was transformed from a bank, saying that make sure to check out the roof top lounge and the vault lounge. I had a dirty martini and the bartender went upstairs grabbed some blue cheese and large olives and stuffed them. Deliciously done as this was my first time experiencing that. The room was small and the breakfast buffet was not really worth it. Just go up the street to get breakfast. Our room was beautiful and white which is rare in hotels. All in all beautiful hotel and the staff is awesome.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Working along Main street, I have frequented the Sheraton on numerous occasions to enjoy evenings out at the roof top and have always had a great time.

Recently I was stayed at the Sheraton and was a guest at their Club Lounge where my husband and I were waited on by a gentleman by the name of Cedric. I am pleased to say this was one of the best experiences we have had out on the town in quite some time.

Cedric was attentive, courteous, professional and very welcoming. I have gone out to eat at several establishments in the Capitol City, and it's safe to say they pale in comparison to my most recent visit.

I will definitely be back to dine with the Sheraton again, but only if I can have Mr. Garner as my host. Garner has rebuilt my faith in good southern hospitality.

Best Regards,

Rochelle D. Atkins

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
South Carolina
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival the tone was definitely set for the relaxing and fun weekend I planned for my boyfriend and I. The hotel was immaculate with a lot of warmth and character. The staff was extremely courteous and professional. Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet. The location was within walking distance of entertainment and restaurants which made our stay all the more fun. Other than the valet service being a little slow we really have no complaints. We will stay again and again. It was definitely more than we expected!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I've stayed at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel on numerous occasions, and plan to return next time I'm in town.

The staff is friendly and helpful - always ready with a warm greeting. Cedric, the major domo for the Priority Club, is the king of Southern Hospitality and has great recommendations for dining downtown. The food at POSH, the mezzanine level restaurant, was stellar during my last stay - the short ribs were incredibly good.

Green Features: The hotel makes requesting green practices easy - providing a door-hanger for the guests to use to alert the staff of their choice.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business