“Thankful we found Claussen's” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Inn At Claussen's

The Inn At Claussen's
Ranked #28 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Jacksonville, Florida
“Thankful we found Claussen's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We were on a long, multi-day drive returning from our summer vacation, and We could tell Columbia was going to be the best stopping point the following evening. A little searching led me to select Claussen's, in part because it looked like a break from the roadside chains and in part because of the opportunity it afforded to see a bit of Columbia. It turned out to be a fantastic choice. Everyone we interacted with was helpful, from making reservations, to Allison helping us find a great place to eat in walking distance, to Allison again treating us to our evening glass of wine, to the included room delivered breakfast.
We were traveling with four kids, so we actually had two rooms. Both were very clean, more upscale than the standard fare, and roomier than an average hotel room. We travel a fair amount and stay in wide variety of hotels, and kids and the adults were enthused by this place. Mama and Dada liked that we could put the kids down and then enjoy our glasses of wine directly outside our rooms in the lobby/lounge. We didn't make great use of it, but we also liked the set up of the connected porches out back of the first floor rooms.
Yes, there is rail line out the back end of the hotel, but it was not a problem for any of the six of us. We liked it, actually.

Room Tip: We were on first floor toward the front of the hotel, which we liked. Again, this enabled us to stil...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ClaussensGM, General Manager at The Inn At Claussen's, responded to this review, 10 October 2014
Dear Mmmgfl,

We are thankful you found the Inn at Claussen's as well!! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your stay with us. Keep us in mind when visiting again.

Regards,
Amy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Being dedicated to a chain we were skeptical but Claussens was amazing. The staff were very friendly and more importantly eager to help whenever needed. We stayed in an upstairs room but didn't have the loft they described but was still cozy. We did peak in while cleaning and will be back for one of those beautiful treasures!! I did want more from the breakfast with it being a former bakery but the tray did arrive on time and freshly delivered to our room. I recommend the delicious croissant with honey. Can't wait to come back!!!

Stayed July 2014
Dear Warrior9911,

We are definitely not your average cookie-cutter hotel, something we take pride in with promoting the hotel. It is rewarding when a guest steps out from what they are accustomed to and stay with us at The Inn at Claussen's. And we do have 29 individual and distinct guest rooms, none of which are the same. Try them all!

Richmond, Va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have been traveling to Columbia for 4 years and have typically stayed in another hotel but decided to try something different that was closer to my daughter's apartment. I was pleasantly surprised. The room I booked was a king standard and it was lovely. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. There was plenty of parking right outside the back door and the hotel was very quiet. Noise from the train that passes close by was not an issue. The highlight though has to be the breakfast. It arrived during the time I had specified and was delivered by a very friendly chef. I would definitely stay at this inn again.

Room Tip: I can only comment on the room I had which was on the side of the hotel opposite of the train tracks...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank dhk923
Dear dhk923,

We are pleased you tried us out while staying in Columbia and delighted we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Warm Regards,
Bumfuck
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The staff were friendly and helpful but my suite was was decorated in Modern Danish Discomfort and a bit shabby. The bed was uncomfortable and the stained contoured living room chair was uncomfortable as was the desk chair with a hole in the seat. The phone is upstairs in the bedroom so if you are working at the desk downstairs you have to run up the shaky spiral staircase to answer. The toilet upstairs has a towel rack by the sink but no towel because, according to a desk clerk, it has no shower or bath. So I had to go downstairs and retrieve one from the bathroom for my lady friend. We left it upstairs but housekeeping didn't take the hint so the next night it was run down and grab a towel. The continental breakfast was good and served hot with good coffee and delivered cheerfully on time.

Room Tip: Not room 214
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Betsey,

Thank you for your feedback. We understand we are not everyone's cup of tea as we are not a traditional hotel, yet, we make every effort to go above and beyond to ensure our guests have a positive experience.

Again, thank you for your comments and staying at The Inn at Claussens.

Best,
Tobaccoville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed for only 2 nights and it was perfect, Nice Location and Great Room. Free Breakfast was more than enough. It was me and my husband and 2 children visiting my brother in the area. Very Nice and clean

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
1 Thank Susan D
Dear Susan,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us regarding your past stay at The Inn at Claussen's. We will see you again soon!

Regards,
Haymarket, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

A visit to USC brought us to this historic landmark. The compassion and special attention we got from Amy, Allison and Carlyle made our visit memorable! The location is excellent, and the fact that it isn't a large corporate chain will keep me coming back! Loved the southern charm!
I would love to see an airport shuttle for my future trips back to see my daughter.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LauraMiller66
Dear Laura,

Thank you for your kind words, and on behalf of the staff we welcome you back to Claussen's in the near future. We are delighted you had such a wonderful, memorable time with us in Columbia.

SIncerely,
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I traveled to Columbia on business, and found that the major hotel chains were 100% booked. The only rooms my colleague and I could find were at Claussen's. I stayed on a Sunday-Thursday in July. Several circumstances have led me to write this review. I am not a complainer, but I can only take so much. The hotel staff has not responded to my concerns with a whole lot of professionalism, even though they have had a great deal of time to make it right during my 4-night stay. No one from management has even contacted me or been available during non-work day hours. (The manager was on site 9-4 pm, but my business meetings meant I was not available from 8-4:30).

At first, I was excited to try this converted bakery, and experience a boutique hotel atmosphere. My initial impression of the queen suite room was nice: the room was sleek, modern, and charming. I enjoyed the separate living/work space from the bedroom up the spiral staircase. Although the location is a nice walk-able area with lots of restaurants, and from the outside, it appears the hotel has made a good effort to be competitive, I took issue with three major issues during my stay at Claussen's that showed me why this hotel is cheaper than the major players.

Here are my three issues, in order of inconvenience they caused:

1) Noisy neighbor(s): The hotel, and more specifically, all the queen suite rooms are on the end of the building nearest the Norfolk Southern railroad tracks. And I mean RIGHT NEXT TO the tracks. Trains pass at ALL hours of the night and day, and blow their horns just as they cross at Green Street. I stayed in that room three nights and none of them were a good night's sleep, even with earplugs and white noise. Expect to be woken multiple times a night because even after the engines pass, the whole room rumbles with the rest of the passing boxcars. Also, the nearby restaurants and associated traffic meant lots of extra noise late into the night. The parking lot behind the building, and right outside room 214 is a flood light to add security, because as you will read some other reviewers mention having had cars being broken into, or damaged. Though this was not my experience with my vehicle, the light also flooded my room, as the blinds were futile to block most of it. A simple change to black out curtains against the window rather than the large wooden blinds would be a great change.

2) Palmetto bugs. Google it. I discovered the unwelcomed roommate the second morning in the bathroom during my 4 night stay. This, along with the trains were more than enough for me to ask to move rooms at 8am that day, but the hotel staff at the front desk didn't even take me seriously. He said he would try to get me a new room for that night, but he didn't bother to relay my change room request to the next front desk attendant at shift change, nor any management to make it actually happen. I had to ask a second time at 4pm, and by then, they said they had no rooms available. So, I then spent a third night in the same room, dealing again, with wakeful sleep due to the trains, and the fear of finding more bugs.

3) Missed Breakfast: The delivered complimentary breakfast was nice the 1st two mornings of my stay, with no issues. However, when the hotel was at 100% capacity the third morning of my stay, my order never came during, and past my selected delivery window. I had to call the front desk and alert them to the issue. My colleague had the same experience, and though we were able to get breakfast eventually, it was on our way out the door for our business meetings. The staff should have at least called our rooms during the time we were expecting breakfast to let us know they were running late, or done something other than nothing at all. A proactive approach would have led me to leave this off my review.

Bottom Line: Perhaps some guests will find the train quaint, perhaps some guests in the south are used to bugs, and perhaps some guests don't have high expectations, but for business travel with tight deadlines and meetings all day, I would not recommend this hotel.

My next stay in Columbia will be at a major chain with proper customer service.

Room Tip: Avoid the queen suites- loud trains outside the windows
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank greatlakes31
Dear greatlakes31,

We are disappointed to read that your stay with us what not as expected. We make every effort to ensure all our guests receive great accommodations and have a restful nights sleep. If you choose to stay with us in the future, please request a corner room; it tends to have less noise from the train.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Warm Regards,