“Fabulous bed and breakfast hotel”

The Inn At Claussen's
Ranked #34 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 12 February 2011

I graduated from the University of South Carolina in the 80"s but wanted to make a trip back from Florida to show the school to my boyfriend who graduated from the University of Florida. We had a wonderful experience from check in , nice glass of wine, to check out, great friendly staff. The breakfast was delivered on time and was served beautifully. The housekeeping staff delivered the breakfast in a very professional manner. We enjoyed walking to 5 points for dinner and the little dive bar right across the street. The next day we walked through campus and up to the Capitol building complex. We enjoyed lunch at Andy's (he looks exactly the same). Very cool and hip hotel for young professionals to alumni and football fans.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Inn At Claussen's

Reviewed 10 February 2011

This is a great hotel to stay at if you like non-chain hotels or if your hotel is booked and need a room. I booked this hotel when my preffered Homewood Suites was booked. Now I stay here almost every time I come to Columbia for business.

The Inn at Claussen's is in a perfect location. It is located in in 5 Points which just just minutes from downtown. There are a ton of shops and restaurant/bars within walking distance (I LOVE Mr. Friendly's for dinner. It is the best restaurant in Columbia and it is attached to the hotel).

The hotel rooms have mostly been updated. I prefer staying in the loft suite. It makes you feel like you are in a condo rather than in a hotel room. The design is really cute! My only critisim of the rooms would be that the bathrooms need to be updated and the bed needs some sort of pillow topper to it because it is really hard. For all of you people that are into being "Green", this hotel is eco-friendly and all of their bath products are organic.

The best part of the hotel is the breakfast. Room service is included in the price and the breakfast is delicious!

The staff is very hospitable and they welcome you with a free cocktail upon arrival. They have always been VERY cortious to me on all of my stays.

I read the review below and I disagree with the statement. They ALWAYS tell you about parking. I have parked in front before and in the back. You must always have a parking volchure in the car or you will get towed. There is parking in the back for apartments has well. They have to tow unauthorized vehicles because otherwise people travelling to the bars would park in the parking lot and the hotel guest would then have to resort to parking on the streets. I travel 75% of the time and I have learned that you must always ask about parking. Most hotels will tow if your car is not noted by a volchure or if it is not registered with the hotel.

I hope after reading my evaluation that you will try this hotel out on your next stay to Columbia. I will be staying there again next week and I am looking forward to it!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Rocknrollchica2
Reviewed 24 January 2011

My husband and I stayed here one night and it was wonderful. We live close by but just wanted a night out by ourselves. Our room was the premium king and it was super clean. The room had been recently renovated and it looked great. Good mattress. Big flat screen TV. We had bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries upon our arrival. Yum! Service was excellent! They were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2010

I stayed there with my boyfriend while he was there on business and we were looking forward to some quality time alone with no issues. There are several things that made this stay the worst I've ever experienced. First, the pictures on their web-site are NOT indicitave as to the actual property. The room we stayed in was more like a tacky dorm room. The bed was horribly uncomfortable. However, I did like the shower. Second, while having breakfast brought to your room is a very nice touch, it was mediocre at best with very limited choices. The fresh fruit was day old cut up fruit that had a sour smell. Third, the wine reception was laughable, if you are good at taking a joke. Fourth, the staff could not have been more unfriendly. They never acknowledged anyone let alone smile or even look up from their computer. The ONLY staff member that was professional and beyond courteous was our housekeeper, Ruth. She was a gem!!

All of these were definitely disappointments but could have been overlooked, however, I discovered the next day that my car had been towed. Now since I am sure the management will most likely respond to this review, allow me to provide the true account of how and why my car was towed and exactly how the hotel responded.

The night that I arrived, my boyfriend had already checked-in and told me the room number. He informed the front desk that I would be arriving later and they gave him a parking slip to put in the dashboard of my car and told him to inform me that I would need to park in a NUMBERED SPACE. Incidentally, he parked in the very front of the hotel upon arrival where there were about 4-5 spaces, but none were numbered. When I arrived I did indeed park in a numbered space, however there were different numbers, some with a letter and some without, but all said reserved. The front desk staff NEVER mentioned that there was any danger of having one's car towed if you did not park in the specific area owned by the hotel. We had no idea that part of this OPEN parking lot was partly owned by a nearby apartment complex, as there was no signage, gate, or anything whatsoever indicating what spaces belonged to whom.

When I discovered my car missing the next day, I went to the desk and happened to encounter the Assistant General Manager. Immediately, she grossly mishandled the situation. It was apparent to me that she did not care nor consider it to be a concern for the hotel. She informed me that it was not the hotel's responsibility as they are very careful and detailed in explaining to guest where to park and what will happen if they park in the wrong area, upon check-in for all guests. She did not even have the phone number to the apartment complex to call and get the towing information. It took 20 mins or so for her to find the number and then she gave it to me and told me to call. She specifically said that it was my boyfriend's fault for not understanding the desk clerk at check-in!! AT NO TIME did she offer to call for me or express any concern let alone responsibility. She did not even ask where exactly I parked. And to top it off......she informed me that I was NOT a guest in the hotel, simply because my name was not in their computer. Nevermind the fact that my boyfriend was paying a top rate, but because the room was in his name only, I DID NOT COUNT as a GUEST!!! To be honest, I am not sure how she was certain that my name was not on the registry since she never asked my name, or what room I was staying in. I suppose she reads minds.

Oh and did I mention that she called the police!! I was standing outside when the police officer arrived and went in to see if the AGM had again spoken to the GM. She informed me that the officer would assist me with any further questions. Now that's hospitality at its finest when you have the police called to deal with your situation!! Let me say that the officer was not called due to any misbehavior on my part, all of which the officer confirmed. He was exptremely nice and was much more empathetic than anyone at the hotel. This was just another tactic the hotel obviously uses to completely wash their hands of this problem.

It was apparent to me that this hotel has had this problem before, even though she said they did not, and are instructed to pass the blame onto the guests(which she did) and to be completely hands off and take no responsibility when this occurs. The blatant rudeness and devil maycare attitude I received from this AGM was appalling to say the least. It costs me $100 for my car to be towed 2 miles. When I asked for the contact information and name of the owners and management company, she refused to give it to me, saying that the owners were private investors and that there was no management company. She told me that the GM was the final authority and that she did speak to her on the phone about my situation. Very scary to think she was actually receiving instructions such as this from their fearless leader!!

Let me also state for the record, that I did not make it down that night to put my parking pass in the dashboard of my car. However, I am not sure it would have done much good, because the AGM told me that the individual apartment residents will call and have cars towed who unknowingly park in their spaces, so it was probably towed later on that night after I arrived. Hmmmmm, but didn't she say that it NEVER HAPPENS???

The fact is, that this is an obvious ongoing problem at this hotel and the hotel owners evidently do not want to spend any monies toward properly sectioning off their designated spaces, so it is up to the guests (but only if your name is on the reservation), to hope the front desk staff explain it well enough and if not that they land in the right parking spot. Otherwise, guests may potentially end up with a $100 charge for this hotel's lack of concern and protection of their clientele. This is a scam and the whole scenario smacks of underhanded dealings.

If the owners were truly concerned about their hotel and guests they would make their information available. But maybe they do not care at all or just simply do not have the business savvy to look out for their interests themselves. Either way they will lose in the long run as long as they let people like the ones who are running their hotel, continue to make decisions that are detrimental to their reputation!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank junecave
Claussens, General Manager at The Inn At Claussen's, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2010

Hello,

I am sorry I was not available to speak to you directly last week, I was offsite at the time when my AGM called me.

I was later informed by both the AGM and the officer that was called to help you find your vehicle that everything had been resolved. That you had taken responsibility for finding your car and paying for the towing bill. I would like to assure you that I do take responsibility for our guests, their safety and security as well as their satisfaction. I feel that I and the staff did what we could for you even when it became apparent that you had joined a guest at the Inn, but failed to register your vehicle with the Inn. Since you did not register your car, and did not place a parking permit in your vehilce window and parked on someone elses private property you were towed. You were towed by that property's owner, not by the Inn, therefore I still maintain, The Inn is not responsible for towing your car, or for paying the bill to get your car returned.

Should you feel the need to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly, rather than via Trip Advisor.

Thank you very much.

Reviewed 16 October 2010

The staff is extremely nice!!! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay! I even left my earrings there by accident and they kindly sent them to me in the mail without even me asking. I just thought losing them was a lost cause. What a surprise! Highly recommend this establishment!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I booked a Getaway Package through the hotel's website that included a $50 restaurant gift certificate, an amenity on arrival, and two tickets to the Riverbank Zoo. The hotel called to inform me that the package I booked was not available and was a Family Getaway Package instead. I told them that it is available on their website and while the agent was telling me they were changing it, I went online to see that I could still book the package. As someone who works in hotel reservations, I understand that there are sometimes mistakes on the website, but also understand that is the obligation of the hotel to honor what they advertise. I was offered the package that I originally confirmed, but at a higher price that shown on their site so opted to cancel instead. My husband and I were looking forward to staying at the Inn for our anniversary as it seemed very quaint, but now will find someplace else that can offer us what they promise.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank darnspiffy
Claussens, Manager at The Inn At Claussen's, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2010

With regards to honoring rates, this is an inaccurate account. This Potential guest attempted to book an expired package, that was no longer available. (all packages state "subject to availability.) and the one this guest wanted was no longer available. As a coutesy we did call in order to clarify so they were not surprised or dissappointed upon arrival. We always go out of our way to make guests happy, even before they actually arrive at The Inn. In this case the individual opted to cancel her visit, dispite our offer to honor the original pacjkage, at the original rate, honor the new package, or just reserve a room.

Reviewed 16 September 2010

We stayed here as part of a trip through the south that included Charleston and Savannah. We attended the South Carolina-Georgia Football game and stayed there that weekend. The room was a nice King room--very comfortable bed, spacious, the best shower of anyplace I have ever stayed, nice breakfast that is delivered to your room. The location is right at the 5 points in Columbia which is full of restaurants, bars, and shops. We ate dinner about 150 yds. away at Garibaldi's and it was outstanding. The best part of this place was the people that worked there. They could not have been any nicer. If we get to Columbia again we would stay here. I am giving it 5 starts because of the value. It is not a 5 star like a 4 seasons or Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple