“Gamecock basketball weekend”

Baymont Inn & Suites Columbia Northwest
Ranked #17 of 94 Hotels in Columbia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

very convenient on major highway and easy access to both downtown and the Gamecocks football stadium. excellent breakfast buffet and very friendly staff to supply driving directions needed. rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Mike I, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Columbia Northwest, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Stan,
Thank you for taking the time to give some feedback on your stay at the Baymont Inn & Suites Columbia. We appreciate your business and are happy that you had an enjoyable experience with us. Hope to see you the next time you travel to Columbia.
Graniteville, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I only live about 45 minutes from this hotel, but I had things going on in Columbia for a couple days in a row and decided I'd rather sleep in town than drive back and forth. So I searched for a fairly economical place to stay in between the two locations I had things going on. This hotel certainly fit that bill. It should be noted that this was formerly a Courtyard by Marriott location, and the layout of things seems largely unchanged from what you'd expect at a Courtyard. I have a feeling that Courtyard vacated because the location is in a rather unsavory locale. I didn't feel unsafe there by any means, but the area around it definitely raises your suspicions. Being familiar with the area since I live relatively close, I knew the area in the vicinity well. There's a Walmart Supercenter practically across the street, and it closes at 11pm instead of being a 24 hour center like most. Purportedly, this is because of the area it's in. That being said, I'll reiterate that I never felt unsafe at the hotel, you just have to drive through some rather dated areas to get there.

Check-in/Check out was quick and easy with a friendly front desk clerk. I got a room on the first floor 'exterior' (not in the Courtyard, if you know how those hotels are typcially laid out), so I actually parked right outside my room. These rooms have a sliding door that opens to the outside, so I was easily able to unload (and later check out) conveniently right to my car. I read some previous reviews saying people had trouble with the exterior doors working right or their room key working, but I never had any issues with either.

The room was very clean, as was the bathroom area. Didn't find anything that needed attention. A fridge and maybe a microwave would be a nice touch in the room. The one issue I had with the room is the air conditioner. I like my room COLD, especially when I sleep. But the A/C turned to the coolest it would go and on high only got the room to maybe 76 at best, so I stayed hot all night as I slept. This was the type of unit that is below the curtains as well, and needed some sort of shield attached to it to keep it from blowing up into the curtains. I'm sure the curtains were quite cool, but I was not!

Amenities: Wifi was rather temperamental on my iPhone and iPad, often taking a long time to connect, and just not staying connected when I wasn't actively using my device (my home network stays connected...so I assume it's some sort of setting they've enabled to disconnect), meaning waiting to reconnect every time I picked my device up. Breakfast in the morning was *awesome*. Grits, biscuits, sausage, bacon, eggs, potatoes, cereal, waffles, fruit...lots of good stuff. They also had at least a couple attendants clearing tables and checking on you as well, which was nice. Breakfast also lasts til 10am, which I GREATLY appreciate since most hotels seem to end it at 9am or earlier even. Oh, I should also mention that their little snack store by the front desk is pretty reasonable for a hotel a well. I got a good sized bag of peanuts and a 20oz soda for less than $3.50.

All in all it was a pretty good stay. I basically checked in around 4pm and left immediately. Returned around midnight, showered and went to bed. Woke up for breakfast and left shortly after. So I never had a chance to use any of the other amenities.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank bdoug399
Mike I, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Columbia Northwest, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you for your very thorough review. We really appreciate when guests take the time to give such detailed feedback on their stay with us. It gives us the assurance that we are doing many things right and gives us an opportunity to hear the voice of our guest telling us what things we can do to make their stay even more enjoyable. We appreciate you staying with us and your feedback. We hope to see you the next time you travel to Columbia.
Clarksville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel was great. However, the elevator could use a little TLC. Add Yogurt to the Breakfast bar

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Baymont Inn & Suites

Mike I, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Columbia Northwest, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Krista,
Thank you for staying at the Baymont Inn & Suites Columbia and your observations of our services. Yogurt is normally a staple of our breakfast offerings and I am sure that you will find this available on future stays. We appreciate your business and hope to see you the next time you are in Columbia.
Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Rooms were spacious and clean. Good location and excellent service. Breakfast area one of the largest, anywhere!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Baymont Inn & Suites

Mike I, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Columbia Northwest, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
John,
Thank you for choosing the Baymont Inn & Suites for your hotel accommodations while visiting Columbia. We are happy that you found your stay to be an enjoyable experience.