“extra charge for water”

Ranked #17 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Rutherfordton, United States
“extra charge for water”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I was not happy to be charged for a bottle of water supplied in room. I received an e-mail after leaving the hotel. If I had not been 3 hours away I would have returned it. The hotel was beautiful and the staff was very gracious.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Diane C
CAEGS, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
The large bottles of water that are in the rooms, have a tag on them that advertise that they are $3.00 each. We are sorry that you didn't understand how that works. Thanks for your business and it still appears that you enjoyed the rest of your stay, as you gave us 4 out of 5. Again thanks and sorry for the confusion with the water.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 February 2014

When we booked the reseveration, I was informed that the hotel was close to capacity due to an event hosted by the Palmetto Shag Club. Upon entering the lobby, I noticed that there were lots of people hanging around socializing. I assumed we would be given a room far away from the action since we were not a part of the event.

They gave us a first floor room very close to the area where the manager's reception is held and breakfast is served. I thought "this is not going to be good." I assumed the room would be nosey because we were so close to the center of actvity. I was pleasantly surprised. The two room suite was a nice size. The room itself was very long. There was even a door (with a lock) that separated the two room. When we sat in the living area, I could hear the noises outside. But, it was during the manager's reception and I expected that. Once we were in the bedroom, I couldn't hear anything.

The manager's reception was adequately staffed. I thought I would have to wait a long time for a beverage because of the amount of people in the hotel for the Palmetto Shag Club event. During the manager's reception, they had 2 lines - one for beer & wine and the other for mixed drinks. They also had a special mixed drink for the Shag event. I wanted to try it but the line on that side was too long so I just drank wine. They also offered chips & salsa and veggies with ranch & blue cheese.

Overall, I was very satisfied with the hotel and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a first floor room near the breakfast/reception area. Initially, I didn't think this was...
1 Thank Chelsea Harris D
CAEGS, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thanks for the nice comments. It was a busy weekend, but glad to hear that we were staffed and ready to go. We look forward to your next visit. Thanks for your comments and business.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed at this property while in Columbia for work and was able to enjoy the many amenities. Arrived in time for the "social hour" which featured healthy snacks. Ordered "in room dining" which I could pick up and avoid the delivery charge. The exercise room is large and all the equipment in great condition. The breakfast offered made to order omelets and all the usual fare offered by Embassy Suites. All in all I didn't have to leave the hotel for anything from Check-in until Check-out

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

2 Thank jch0505
Thanks for the positive comments and nice review. We appreciate the business. Thanks
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Love the open atrium and view of the lobby, but it did make for a noisy night for my brother sleeping on the sleep sofa - doors slamming at all hours. Bring earplugs if someone is using the sofa. Did not hear anything back in the bedroom. There was a wedding that evening which was fun to watch. Manager's reception was nice, basic salty snacks and veggies and dip, free cocktails if you wanted to wait in the long line. All staff we encountered were extremely nice. Beds were very comfortable, room was very clean, hot tub was hot and pool was a bit chilly, nice to cool off after the hot tub. Breakfast buffet is wonderful, eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
CAEGS, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thanks for the nice comments and business. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff and hotel. Thanks
Virginia Beach, Va, United States
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I travel often and recommend this hotel for visits to Columbia, SC. The staff was "over the top" accommodating starting with the checking. We did have a minor problem with the room, but the staff came up promptly and showed and understanding of customer service that turned a negative situation into what I felt like was making a friend.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

CAEGS, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thanks for the comments and business. We appreciate the opportunity to serve and look forward to your return visit. Thanks for the positive employee comments.
Holland Patent, NY
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We were in Columbia for our son's graduation from Boot at Fort Jackson. This hotel was excellent. Breakfast was really good. Great snacks at the Managers Reception in the evening. The 2 room suite was perfect for us. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Just can't say enough. The work out room is small but well appointed. Very easy to get to the base. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Corner suites are very quite.....
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
CAEGS, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thanks for the good comments about the staff, breakfast, managers reception and the 2 room suites. We appreciate your business. thanks
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I would assume that all of these positive reviews are not from people who have stayed in other hotels. I wanted to plan a nice romantic getaway for my husband. EPIC FAIL. The rooms are dark and dingy with a musty mildew smell. No ventilation in the bathroom so mold is to be found. I'm currently listening to the couple in the next suite over snoring and if my bare feet happen to accidentally touch and part of these floors, I'll need a medical exam upon returning home. This probably was a nice hotel 15-20 years ago. Very very old and nasty now. Do not waste your money!

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Jrsnead
CAEGS, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
We appreciate your comments and concerns. We will look into these items. We apologize that you did'nt enjoy your stay, like most of our guests do. Thanks for your business and we appreciate your comments. Thanks